Sony 55xe70xx owners thread

Another heads up about hdr on this tv as its can be kind of a pain, I need to always switch from video to vivid and back again for hdr to take affect properly in youtube, ps ect.

Hdr automatically kicks in on youtube when it detects hdr content back it never 100% takes affect unless you switch hdr picture modes back and forth

It only happens the one off and hdr looks fine after that but you’ll have to do it everytime you go back in to the youtube app or when you play a game on ps.

Another heads up about hdr on this tv as its can be kind of a pain, I need to always switch from video to vivid and back again for hdr to take affect properly in youtube, ps ect.

Hdr automatically kicks in on youtube when it detects hdr content back it never 100% takes affect unless you switch hdr picture modes back and forth

It only happens the one off and hdr looks fine after that but you’ll have to do it everytime you go back in to the youtube app or when you play a game on ps.
Strangely I'm not too fussed on HDR, I don't like a bright image. I'm a bit of a CRT/Plasma aficionado, not turned any of that on as I don't want to sacrifice blacks and another reason I didn't go for a high NITS output TV.

However I may be totally wrong about how HDR works, granted there is a wider colour range. But most things I've seen ramp the brightness up.

Interestingly the built in Iplayer app works with the HLG Test under settings, so does this actually do HLG?

Brightness just adjusts the overall "brightness" of the image not the actual brightness of the panel, it makes no difference to the light output from my testing.

brightness is 100% the backlight on this tv. are you able to take a picture of the picture menu so I know for sure.

Is everything off in the eco settings as well?

Strangely I'm not too fussed on HDR, I don't like a bright image. I'm a bit of a CRT/Plasma aficionado, not turned any of that on as I don't want to sacrifice blacks and another reason I didn't go for a high NITS output TV.

However I may be totally wrong about how HDR works, granted there is a wider colour range. But most things I've seen ramp the brightness up.

Interestingly the built in Iplayer app works with the HLG Test under settings, so does this actually do HLG?

Not to sure about HLG support.

brightness is 100% the backlight on this tv. are you able to take a picture of the picture menu so I know for sure.

Is everything off in the eco settings as well?
Seems there is no way to adjust the backlight on this TV manually, quite strange as it's able to do it dynamically.

Also had a look in the service menu at my panel type, but the numbers do not correspond with any I know of from AUO or Samsung, is there a way to decipher it? Mine is option 16 which I can't remember the full string but I will write it down next time I look in there.

Seems there is no way to adjust the backlight on this TV manually, quite strange as it's able to do it dynamically.

Also had a look in the service menu at my panel type, but the numbers do not correspond with any I know of from AUO or Samsung, is there a way to decipher it? Mine is option 16 which I can't remember the full string but I will write it down next time I look in there.

you’ve got me confused lol!

how do you mean manually and dynamically? I can move the backlight from 0-50

How would you go about knowing if the panel is samsung ect?

how do you mean manually and dynamically? I can move the backlight from 0-50

How would you go about knowing if the panel is samsung ect?
That is Brightness, not Backlight.
Do you have a "Backlight Control"?

Manually means you can set it yourself, dynamically is when the TV adjusts it automatically during dark and bright scenes.

In the service menu it lists the panel type.

That is Brightness, not Backlight.
Do you have a "Backlight Control"?

Manually means you can set it yourself, dynamically is when the TV adjusts it automatically during dark and bright scenes.

In the service menu it lists the panel type.

backlight is brightness on this tv thats what im trying to say. I will link rtings setup, it will explain things better.

Sony X720E LED TV Calibration Settings

Are any of you guys on the 8.674 update? I have tried everything to get my tv updated to the 674, im currently on 673 so im guessing either its a typo on the site/incorrect firmware info or my tv just isn’t wanting to update to the 674.

backlight is brightness on this tv thats what im trying to say. I will link rtings setup, it will explain things better.

Sony X720E LED TV Calibration Settings
The brightness setting doesn't change the Backlight. Also their version has an IPS panel so maybe it has additional differences.

Sony historically had a Brightness and a Backlight adjustment.

That's not so much of an issue as the blacks are decent. However what is a major issue is the lack of any picture adjustments in the iPlayer app.

i
The brightness setting doesn't change the Backlight. Also their version has an IPS panel so maybe it has additional differences.

That's not so much of an issue as the blacks are decent. However what is a major issue is the lack of any picture adjustments in the iPlayer app.

the x720e is the exact same as ours but ours is the VA version. our tv is also brighter than this one by a little bit as well and of course the contrast is much better on ours.

It will have the same menu settings ect ect. There is comments below confirming our xe70’s are indeed the same as this model.

Are any of you guys on the 8.674 update? I have tried everything to get my tv updated to the 674, im currently on 673 so im guessing either its a typo on the site/incorrect firmware info or my tv just isn’t wanting to update to the 674.

Yes, via USB, and I wouldn't bother to be frankly honest unless you've had the issue that's been published, otherwise you will end up with the same audio issues as myself and a few others, and no you can't roll back after you've updated which is a pain in the hoonie!

If you can post the full string, and then we can take a look and ask a few people who will know on here. @desinho @Loopthrough @hristoslav2

As far as we are all aware, Samsung are the maker's of the T-Con board and BLU unit, AUO make the 65" model, but Sony can change this between those two makers at any time so the full string would be useful in determining the panel.

dynamically is when the TV adjusts it automatically during dark and bright scenes.

Advanced Contrast Enhancer, if you don't want the TV to do this automatically then turn it off.

It's a pain with SD content and subtitles as it kicks in when it shouldn't.

every single review on rtings shows that backlight is called brightness and brightness is called black level and yes you can change it manually and make the tv dimmer or as bright as you want with the brightness setting.

this tv has frame dimming as well there’s no local dimming on this tv to control the dark scenes.

If you can post the full string, and then we can take a look and ask a few people who will know on here. @desinho @Loopthrough @hristoslav2

As far as we are all aware, Samsung are the maker's of the T-Con board and BLU unit, AUO make the 65" model, but Sony can change this between those two makers at any time so the full string would be useful in determining the panel.

I've uploaded some pictures of the service menu with the full string etc.

Advanced Contrast Enhancer, if you don't want the TV to do this automatically then turn it off.

It's a pain with SD content and subtitles as it kicks in when it shouldn't.

I don't actually mind that system, Sony seem to do it well.
Just wish I could knock the backlight down a couple of notches like I did on my W829 as it really is too bright for my eyes.

every single review on rtings shows that backlight is called brightness and brightness is called black level and yes you can change it manually and make the tv dimmer or as bright as you want with the brightness setting.

this tv has frame dimming as well there’s no local dimming on this tv to control the dark scenes.

None of those options change the backlight brightness.

Really happy so far though with the TV, not really going to be applicable as I will be wall mounting it, but has anyone noticed the TV leans back slightly on the stand, not sure why they do this, Panasonic do the same with some models.

Shame Sony discontinued the stand that converts to a wallmount system like the W829, that was very handy.

Attachments

• 20180821_114825.jpg
    20180821_114825.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20180821_114837.jpg
    20180821_114837.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180820_164428.jpg
    20180820_164428.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180820_211638.jpg
    20180820_211638.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
@RustySpoons Its strange that you think brightness is only changing "brightness" and not "backlight" when the rtings reviews suggest otherwise.

They do say they were in custom picture mode when they did it though...maybe you are not in custom mode?
I don't think they would say that you could change it to whatever you want if it wasn't the back light control.

I just checked a few recent Sony TV models and they all have only a brightness control, no separate backlight control so now brightness is backlight on Sony TVs. I think thats just the way it is on Sony TVS. Possibly reducing the backlight isn't having the desired effect for you for whatever reason?

@RustySpoons Its strange that you think brightness is only changing "brightness" and not "backlight" when the rtings reviews suggest otherwise.

They do say they were in custom picture mode when they did it though...maybe you are not in custom mode?
I don't think they would say that you could change it to whatever you want if it wasn't the back light control.

I just checked a few recent Sony TV models and they all have only a brightness control, no separate backlight control so now brightness is backlight on Sony TVs. I think thats just the way it is on Sony TVS. Possibly reducing the backlight isn't having the desired effect for you for whatever reason?
Interesting it's now called that, I've gone from 0 - 100 and it makes no difference to the backlight, it just changes the drive of the LCD panel, if you measure it the backlight does not actually change...
The only thing that controls the backlight is the Dynamic backlight control that the TV does automatically.

Try putting a fixed image on the screen that has a mixture of black, then adjust brightness, you will see that the brightness of the backlight does not change, the brighter areas do indeed change but if you monitor/measure where there is no picture, i.e. pure black you will see it does not change in luminance which is an indication that the brightness controls on this TV do not control the backlight only the drive of the panel.

Are you sure it isn't the micro dimming or whatever its called on the Sony TVs doing that? It can interfere with such adjustments.

If not maybe the model over here can't be adjusted the same as north american variants. Perhaps someone else with the TV can confirm.

@Loopthrough seems to know his Sony TVs so maybe he can add anything more? He hasn't been on for a while though :(

Are you sure it isn't the micro dimming or whatever its called on the Sony TVs doing that? It can interfere with such adjustments.

If not maybe the model over here can't be adjusted the same as north american variants. Perhaps someone else with the TV can confirm.

@Loopthrough seems to know his Sony TVs so maybe he can add anything more? He hasn't been on for a while though :(
It's not really an issue just an observation, you can indeed change the Brightness of the displayed image, but you have no manual control over the backlight. Sad that Sony removed that as in some viewing environments you can get the black level even lower.

Interesting it's now called that, I've gone from 0 - 100 and it makes no difference to the backlight, it just changes the drive of the LCD panel, if you measure it the backlight does not actually change...
The only thing that controls the backlight is the Dynamic backlight control that the TV does automatically.

Try putting a fixed image on the screen that has a mixture of black, then adjust brightness, you will see that the brightness of the backlight does not change, the brighter areas do indeed change but if you monitor/measure where there is no picture, i.e. pure black you will see it does not change in luminance which is an indication that the brightness controls on this TV do not control the backlight only the drive of the panel.

the backlight on this tv only goes to 50. The brightness goes to 100.

Are you trolling or are you generally being serious about this!?

the backlight on this tv only goes to 50. The brightness goes to 100.

Are you trolling or are you generally being serious about this!?
Im a well established member of this site, certainly not trolling!
There is no backlight control on this model, irrespective of what slider you use.

Brightness does indeed go to 50, I was away from the TV when I wrote it. I should have put Max rather than a specific number.

You can clearly see by this luminance test that on 0 the blacks are clearly darker compared to it maxed out at 50.

photos below.

Attachments

• 943891EB-AB46-4479-92EF-3848DC47CDE7.jpeg
    943891EB-AB46-4479-92EF-3848DC47CDE7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • 1F9CFA43-0964-42E8-AB8C-B4D24FE1BA11.jpeg
    1F9CFA43-0964-42E8-AB8C-B4D24FE1BA11.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
You can clearly see by this luminance test that on 0 the blacks are clearly darker compared to it maxed out at 50.

photos below.
Or is the shutter/iso changing on the camera to compensate.
Also that brightness slider is in a semi transparent window. So that black area will look lighter as it has a image behind it.
The only way to check really is with a white square/checkerboard and measure the black areas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom