Sony 55A2000U Vs Sharp LC46XD1E

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ColinHD, Apr 26, 2007.

1. ColinHD

ColinHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Im pondering buying one of the 2 following models of Full HD TVs:

Sony 55A2000U Vs Sharp LC46XD1E

Ive been reading through all the post and on other websites to try and find a good Full HD TV..

Both have good points and bad points ! Its mind blowing...

Can someone help me to make my mind up and point me in the right direction.

I have a budget of about £ 1, 500

Many Thanks

Colin

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    No, we can't. Certainly not unless you give us a lot more information about what your specific requirements and preferences are. :)

3. ColinHD

ColinHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    basically I just want a FULL HD so i can USE my Playstation 3 on and any other 1080P devices i purchase in the future..

I just want a good FUll HD television that looks good and is reliable...

My Wants:

Good Picture quality.

Good Sound.

Which are the best for my requirements?

Thanks

Colin

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Yes, but what do you mean by "good picture quality"?

What I think consitutes a good compromise as far as picture quality is concerned is probably completely different from what you think is a good compromise, and probably different again from what anyone else thinks is a good compromise, because every individual person has his own different priorities.

Do you care more about black level? Viewing angle? The presence or absence of silk screen effect? Colour accuracy? Screen size? Amount of overscan? Picture geometry? Colour/brightness consistency across the image? Or what?

5. ColinHD

ColinHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi NicolasB.

WOW.. all that sounds confusing to me as im NEW to HD...

The only thing i will be using the HD for is my PS3 and watching HD DVDS.

I want good SD viewing too.

I cant really say anymore because i dont much about the HD market.

I have learnt alot through browsing through this form...

Thanks

Colin

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    You probably think that I'm a) trying to be difficult, and b) trying to sound important and knowledgeable, but I'm honestly not. (Well, maybe a teensy bit, but not very much. ;) )

I'm not very familiar with the Sharp screen - you'll probably get some informed opinions about it over in the LCD forum. I'm quite familiar with the pros and cons of the 55A2000, because I own one, and I can certainly give you a list of all of its good and bad points, together some with some reasonably-well-informed speculation about how it is likely to compare to an LCD panel. But what I can't do is tell you how important all of the good and bad points actually are. I know how important they are to me, but I don't know (and cannot know) how important they are to you, because what you think looks good isn't necessarily the same as what I think looks good.

Put it this way: if you could actually answer the question "what is the best TV at this price?" this forum wouldn't even exist: there'd be nothing to argue about! :)

Your best bet, if you can swing it, is to actually compare the two side by side and see which one looks better to you. That, unfortunately, isn't as easy as it sounds, because televisions in shops tend to be set up REALLY BADLY. The 55A2000 especially looks simply shocking :eek: if you use all of the settings that it has when you first take it out of the box. It's only after you've had the chance to tweak all the menu settings that it looks good. So, if you can, try and find a shop that will give you the remote and let you play with all the menu options. Beforehand, have a hunt around and see if you can find some settings that will make the screen look good.

An excellent starting point for 55A2000 settings would be the ones used by our own mr Tarbat, which you can find here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3741603&postcount=26

Here are a few things to think about....
    • Being a rear-projection TV, the 55A2000 has relatively narrow viewing angles compared to flat panels. That means that if you move a long way around to the side and look at the screen at a sharp angle, the picture will be less bright than if you're looking at it head on. This effect is much more signficant if you move your head upwards and downwards rather than from side to side, so if your eyes are going to be significantly above or below the middle of the screen, the Sony might be a bad choice. (Plasma screens have better angles than LCD, and LCD does a better job than rear projection).
    • Like many RPTVs the Sony suffers from something called "Silk Screen Effect". The best way to describe it is that it looks as if you are viewing the picture through a sheet of frosted glass. It gives it a slightly sparkly or grainy quality, which is most noticeable in very bright areas of the picture.
    • If it is correctly adjusted, the Sony has pretty good colour accuracy - better than that of most (if not all) LCD panels.
    • The Sony doesn't suffer from "Screen Door Effect" at all, while LCD panels always do. SDE means that you have dark lines around the edges of each pixel. On the Sony the whole screen is effectively covered by pixels and nothing else - there are no dark gaps between them.
    • The Sony (again, if adjusted properly) has a good "black level"; that means that black does actually look more less black. Most LCD panels have quite bad black-level, which means black comes out looking like a washed-out dark grey. This is particularly distracting in dark, shadowy scenes.
    • The Sony can also produce an extremely bright picture - bright enough to view comfortably in day-lit rooms, so long as you don't have a window directly behind you.
    • The Sony probably uses less electricity.
    • The Sony will need a new lamp every 8000 hours or so of viewing - this will cost a couple of hundred pounds. (So that's about once in five and a half years, if you watch an average of four hours a day). LCD panels will last a lot longer.
    • The Sony is prone to poor colour uniformity: if you are watching a black-and-white film, for example, you may find some areas of the screen have a slightly pink tinge while other areas look sightly green. If it does this badly then you can legitimately claim that the set in question is defective and get it replaced under warranty, but even "good" ones tend to do this a little bit, especially when they're warming up.
    • The Sony may also suffer from non-uniform brightness across the screen, although it may be no worse than an LCD panel. (Plasma is better at that).
    • The Sony (when adjusted properly) may have slightly smoother motion and less of a tendency to produce blurring or ghosting on rapid movement. (I don't know if the Sharp is prone to this or not- - some LCD panels are).
    • The Sony has a much bigger screen! The optimum viewing distance for 1080-line high definition signal on the Sony is about seven and a half feet. For a 46" screen it's about 6 feet. (How close are you planning to sit?)
    • If you want to give yourself square eyes and sit really close, you may like the fact that the Sony's pixels have the same colour across the whole of each pixel, while an LCD panel's pixels are made up of separate red, green and blue sub-pixels. (On the upside, if you're using it as a PC monitor, the LCD panel will allow you to use Cleartype anti-aliasing on fonts).
    • The Sony can suffer from alignment problems (i.e. the red, green and blue parts of the image may not quite line up properly). This isn't usually very severe in practice, but it's impossible for an LCD panel to have alignment problems.
    • The picture geometry of the Sony will not be quite perfect (so parts of the picture may be slightly distorted). LCD geometry will be perfect.
    • The Sony has some overscan - the very edges of the picture are cut off. (This can be very annoying if you want to use it as a PC monitor). LCD panels that can take a native-resolution signal can often display it without overscan (although there will usually be overscan on standard-definition pictures).
    • The Sony's image processing is quite clever, and it can do useful things to make standard-definition pictures look slightly less bad. It also does a good job of deinterlacing 1080i material. (Not as good as a dedicated video processor, but I'm guess you weren't planning on buying one of those).
    • The Sony has quality-control problems: if you're really unlucky you may need to go through 3 or 4 sets before you get one that isn't faulty.

7. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I've been looking at the sony 55" for a while in showrooms trying to tell myself it would look better in my room than in the shop,
    however I couldn't help but notice that all my "wow" factor hi def moments were coming from the lcd screens in the same showrooms
    :eek:
    so I went for the SHARP LC52XD1E as it's only 3 inches smaller than the sony,
    I've only had the sharp for a week but I'm as pleased as punch with it's performance so far, the first thing that hit me was how bright it is compared to my crt rear pro and my dlp rear pro,
    well actually the FIRST thing that hit me was when I unpacked it and saw how sexy the actual set design is with it's ultra glossy black frame and stand :D

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Bear in mind that the shops make a lot more money selling you a Sharp LCD than they do selling you a Sony rear pro. So they will probably try harder to make the Sharp look good.

Conspiracy theories aside, the "out of the box" settings for the Sony are simply dreadful. You really shouldn't judge it unless you've gone through all the menu options and set them to sensible values.

9. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    already having 2 rear pro sets I know how bad they usually look in the shops which is why I tried to convince myself I could fiddle with the sony at home like I had to do with my LG and tosh sets, they tend to come out of the box with everything turned up full don't they !
    I'm just totally gobsmacked that my sharp is still on it's factory setting and I'm loving every minute of it even after a whole week,
    ( my honeymoon period with a new set is usually a couple of hours :devil: )
    I really can't believe the fiddling with the settings bug hasn't hit me yet. :eek:
    it must be love. ;)

10. ColinHD

ColinHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys.....

Much appreicated for all your comments....

I still havent made my mind up but will continue to look around the shops to see which is best then order my HD set from the internet... So much cheaper than buying them in the shops....

Thanks

Colin