• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony 5500 vs 5710

foxy

Standard Member
I was looking to buy the kdl46w5500 and had found it available for around £1000. Then I spotted the 5710 at a sony center. this I learn is exactly the same spec but visually it just looks better. The problem is I am told this is only available at Sony for £1250 or John Lewis at £1400. The Sony store tells me it will only ever be available at these two outlets. Surely this is not the case? I thought all models would be available from independants and online. Does anyone know when the 5710 will be launched across all retailers?

malwrx

Established Member
I understand they are only cosmetically different and they have done this to make them 'exclusive and to hold off discounting'.

piyush1982

Standard Member
I went into a Sony shop and asked them if they had the 46W5500, to which the salesman said we have the 5710 which is identical.

Then I said to him the 5500 is available for £X in a local shop, will you price match? And he did.

So if they are identical, then if they want the sale they should price match. They can't simultaneously claim the two models to be different and identical.
Therefore, I don't think the discounting logic works too well for their sales figures.

While we are at it, do you think the Samsung 46" 6 series LED may be a good alternative? It can be had for a very similar price..

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom