• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony 55" Arrived

monkeyleader

Established Member
Okay so its just been delivered ... now before I get into the nitty gritty setup as provided by the excellent people on here I think perhaps I have a more basic issue?

I have my Sky+ Box connected over s-video to my amp, then from the amp s-video to the TV via Scart ... This is the way I had it setup to my 40" Toshiiba RP before and the PQ was excellent.

The PQ is a very wavey, full of noise - almost as if its the old days trying to tune something in? Am I missing something really basic or perhpas a hardware issue?

Any quick help much appreciated - trying to get a decent picture before the wife comes home later. I know there are lots of tweaks needed to make SD acceptable but I think perhpas my issue is something else.

thanks,

Nige

Bal

Prominent Member
have you tried connecting the sky+ direct to the tv via RGB scart?

If not give it a go and see if you see the same problem. Sometimes sending the signal through an amp can add noise and because of the quality and size of the Sony may well show up stuff that wasn't evident before.

jedi-knight

Established Member
I would connect sky via rgb scart, but that looks about right don't forget that it is a 55" screen, things you may not notice on a 32" or 42" you will see on this tv.

I was dissapointed at the sd picture at first, just takes getting used to, just wait until you throw some 1080p veiwing at it, I guarantee you will be grinning :D

monkeyleader

Established Member
I would connect sky via rgb scart, but that looks about right don't forget that it is a 55" screen, things you may not notice on a 32" or 42" you will see on this tv.

I was dissapointed at the sd picture at first, just takes getting used to, just wait until you throw some 1080p veiwing at it, I guarantee you will be grinning :D

So thanks for that - connecting direct via SCART (just a cheapy one I found lying around) has mad a great difference .. something I can start working with.

I'm now wondering if a decent scart cable will add get rid of the remaining artifacts ?

Nige

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Okay so its just been delivered ... now before I get into the nitty gritty setup as provided by the excellent people on here I think perhaps I have a more basic issue?

I have my Sky+ Box connected over s-video to my amp, then from the amp s-video to the TV via Scart ... This is the way I had it setup to my 40" Toshiiba RP before and the PQ was excellent.

The PQ is a very wavey, full of noise - almost as if its the old days trying to tune something in? Am I missing something really basic or perhpas a hardware issue?

Any quick help much appreciated - trying to get a decent picture before the wife comes home later. I know there are lots of tweaks needed to make SD acceptable but I think perhpas my issue is something else.

thanks,

Nige

Out of intrerest - where did you get it from

monkeyleader

Established Member
So now the only noticable issue is a wavey line which seems to go from bottom to top slowly. Apart from this things looks good - for starters.

Any ideas what that line could be ?

Nige

PS: all of this is sky + connected over Scart RGB.

djhavor

Established Member
When I had a similiar problem (not on the same TV, but also on a 55" screen), the line was caused by interference and the problem disappeared when I invested in a decent quality (i.e. better shielded) RGB Scart cable (think it was a QED).

Good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom