Sony 55/65XD9305 Owners Thread

@jools2001 Have you even rung John Lewis as Lcdseeker suggested ? I had a problem with my tv although it was bought from Coop electric who have stopped selling I just phoned them up and they were very helpful I sent pictures over engineer came out saw it and Sony swapped it no problem What I’m trying to say is it’s much easier talking to people than sending emails and going on Twitter I’ll finish by adding I bought a Sony af9 from John Lewis which developed a fault phoned up same thing engineer came out same result. Great customer service both times
Believe me i always phone first, but the wait was stupid
and as they give the offer of reporting it via my jl account
thats what i did, but also the complaint e mail reply I had back, stated a manager would call me back
within 24 hours as i had escalated my original complaint!
6 days later, and still no phone call as promised!

Twitter jl said they had also escalated it for me, but managers were to busy to phone me at present! wtf!!!!

And that to me says it all, customer service at jl has gone, i wont be buying from them ever again
and thankfully Sony are now dealing with it direct, , i could go on, but if your customer service goes
then so, eventually do ALL your customers!

Have now e mailed and now had to complain to John Lewis, as original e mail about fault, no reply or contact from them, so went onto chat, which was absolutely shocking, agent refused to send out engineer, wanted me to contact Sony direct, which I refused to do, as my contract is with John Lewis not Sony direct, and john Lewis are supposed to do the running around for a warranty repair, not the customer! No reply back from second email and complaint, so sent an official complaint via their web site on Sunday, auto e mail reply back stating i would get a phone call from dedicated complaint manager at John Lewis, within 24 hours! 2 days later and nothing from John Lewis!

I will never buy anything from them again after many years of doing so! Customer service absolutely non-existent now, and can’t believe they have gone this bad! Another firm looking likely to fold then, if they can’t be bothered to sort out a simple repair along with the 2 following complaints! I did try to ring them, but the wait was that long I simply gave up!
JOHN LEWIS R.I.P !!!

Now on the look out for new tv, but wont be buying from John Lewis, probably Richer Sounds
When you buy goods you are covered by consumer law & you are correct in saying that your contract is with the seller. However the goods are only covered for a "reasonable time" under current legislation. What is classed as a reasonable time depends on the item & would ultimately be decided in court if a case was taken that far.
Your original contract was with JL & I agree with you that they could have dealt with your issue a lot better.
However due to the age of your set & the fact that the extended warranty (from year 2 to 5) is covered by Sony (JL should have made this clear to you at purchase) JL are well within their rights to pass you on to Sony.

When you buy goods you are covered by consumer law & you are correct in saying that your contract is with the seller. However the goods are only covered for a "reasonable time" under current legislation. What is classed as a reasonable time depends on the item & would ultimately be decided in court if a case was taken that far.
Your original contract was with JL & I agree with you that they could have dealt with your issue a lot better.
However due to the age of your set & the fact that the extended warranty (from year 2 to 5) is covered by Sony (JL should have made this clear to you at purchase) JL are well within their rights to pass you on to Sony.
Thanks for that,I did already know that, but its the way John Lewis are NOT handling this at all let alone ignoring my complaints. Well I for one won't ever be buying from John Lewis again,after decades of doing so.as I said before if your customer services satisfaction goes from 10 to nothing,then customers will dwindle to nothing as well, but good to know jl are concerned,Not! Let's hope Sony do sort it out as this has not been a good or expected outcome I thought I'd ever see from John Lewis!!!

Jools

Had a reply back from Sony on Monday 15th Feb, agreed from pics i sent, there a multiple faults with my tv, and my case has been passed onto repair dept to arrange site visit,

Does anyone know how long Sony usually take to arrange home visit/repair?

Still not heard a thing back from John lewis! unbelievable, but this will be the last thing
i ever buy from John Lewis again!

Jools

Hi all, my set is being replaced by Sony.

Their warranty says " 2.4 If we do not repair the Product we will replace it with equipment of the same or similar specification."

So looking at todays models what do you think I should settle for bearing in mind the age of this set? I'm not sure on how these things work as back in the day this was a 2 grand tv and bought for £1400 but I guess that is not the driving factor here.

Any advice much appreciated, cheers.

Hi all, my set is being replaced by Sony.

Their warranty says " 2.4 If we do not repair the Product we will replace it with equipment of the same or similar specification."

So looking at todays models what do you think I should settle for bearing in mind the age of this set? I'm not sure on how these things work as back in the day this was a 2 grand tv and bought for £1400 but I guess that is not the driving factor here.

Any advice much appreciated, cheers.
I’ve still got a 9305 going in the spare room i replaced it as my main tv with the xh950 with i feel is a massive jump in standard all round delighted with it
i think its the current equivalent model
i paid £1600 for the 55” when it first came out middle of last year and have no regrets even if it has dropped about £500 since :facepalm:

Hope that is the case as I would have no regrets if it was replaced with the xh9505, fingers crossed...

Had a reply back from Sony on Monday 15th Feb, agreed from pics i sent, there a multiple faults with my tv, and my case has been passed onto repair dept to arrange site visit,

Does anyone know how long Sony usually take to arrange home visit/repair?

Still not heard a thing back from John lewis! unbelievable, but this will be the last thing
i ever buy from John Lewis again!

Jools

Sony normally refer the case on to a local(ish) AV company who then send out an engineer to confirm the fault. I'd be amazed if they took it away and are more likely to condem it and give the report back to Sony who will then arrange to send a new or like new replacement which should be an XH95.

Hope that is the case as I would have no regrets if it was replaced with the xh9505, fingers crossed...

The XH95 is definitely the model that is equivalent to the XD in terms of pricing. The great news is that it's a huge improvement over the XD.

Sony normally refer the case on to a local(ish) AV company who then send out an engineer to confirm the fault. I'd be amazed if they took it away and are more likely to condem it and give the report back to Sony who will then arrange to send a new or like new replacement which should be an XH95.
That's exactly what happened to mine, they sent an engineer to replace the main board and dps. The fault still remained so they recommended for a replacement. I'm trying to find out what Sony have sent as it's on it's way. I do hope it's a xh9505, still have my fingers crossed.

That's exactly what happened to mine, they sent an engineer to replace the main board and dps. The fault still remained so they recommended for a replacement. I'm trying to find out what Sony have sent as it's on it's way. I do hope it's a xh9505, still have my fingers crossed.

I can't imagine it being anything else. If it's a XH90 then it's not like for like.

Engineer called today, says i need a new main board and New Screen!

awaiting back now to see if it gets authorised, or i get a replacement!

Sony don't replace/repair screens so it will be a replacement.
Cheers for that, its now going thru John Lewis after they finally replied over 2 weeks later,
Sony had put it back to jl on their warranty, so should hear tomorrow if im lucky!
what the outcome will be?

Jools

Cheers for that, its now going thru John Lewis after they finally replied over 2 weeks later,
Sony had put it back to jl on their warranty, so should hear tomorrow if im lucky!
what the outcome will be?

Jools

No idea if I'm honest. I suppose JL could offer you a refund or a replacement, in which case you need to push for the XH9505.

No idea if I'm honest. I suppose JL could offer you a refund or a replacement, in which case you need to push for the XH9505.
Yes, definately XH9505, cant see a refund with the trouble JL are in, tho id prefer that, as i paid £1600 for it! Will let you know, when i do! lol

Just been offered the cheaper sony xh9005 at £899, will come with a new 5 yr warranty, or i can put the money towards a more expensive tv!
Im not happy at all, as there is obviously a reason why this set is £300 cheaper than the XH9505.

Ive tried looking at loads of review web sites, but cannot find why it is cheaper, apart from bad viewing angles, which i couldnt accept anyway.
Any urgent advice on this greatly appreciated, as i need to get back to JL with an answer!

I wouldn’t accept that. Sony exchanged mine for the xh9505 which is the equivalent tv Although tv prices have come down a bit you should hold out for the Xh9505.Each year the range went up in alphabetical order ie XD. Xe Xf. Xg and now Xh.

Just been offered the cheaper sony xh9005 at £899, will come with a new 5 yr warranty, or i can put the money towards a more expensive tv!
Im not happy at all, as there is obviously a reason why this set is £300 cheaper than the XH9505.

Ive tried looking at loads of review web sites, but cannot find why it is cheaper, apart from bad viewing angles, which i couldnt accept anyway.
Any urgent advice on this greatly appreciated, as i need to get back to JL with an answer!

They're trying it on. The XH9505 is is a brighter television, and will produce much better HDR, the 55" updwards has the wide angle viewing filters, and a premium remote and a better processor. The XH9005 is a very good television, but it's not the equivalent model to your's, that would be the XH9505. This is why I prefer to deal with Sony as they will replace like for like or offer you a full purchase value uplift. But JL should offer you the same.

I wouldn’t accept that. Sony exchanged mine for the xh9505 which is the equivalent tv Although tv prices have come down a bit you should hold out for the Xh9505.Each year the range went up in alphabetical order ie XD. Xe Xf. Xg and now Xh.
Cheers for that,
Ive refused it, and asked for 9505 as thats what Sony are replacing with, and not the cheaper,inferior model they offered me. the tv leg stand wont fit on my tv stand anyway, plus ive read viewing angles are poor on that tv, speakers are poorer than my equivelant tv!
any other things i should know why its £300 cheaper?

Last edited:
Sorry LCDSEEKER, Only saw your post after i posted, thanks for that information
will wait what the reply back is before i pass that added info onto them!

Thanks again

I’ve just had a look on John Lewis website and the 55 xh9505 is only £1200 I’m sure you paid more for your tv. Keep haggling 👍
i paid £1599,as ive said to them i originally spent weeks choosing this xd tv, paid a premium price for a premium tv, not to get a poorer model as a replacement when it fails so badly! This whole saga has and still is a bloody nightmare, but in the current scheme of things, trying to bite my lip. before i lose it big time!

i paid £1599,as ive said to them i originally spent weeks choosing this xd tv, paid a premium price for a premium tv, not to get a poorer model as a replacement when it fails so badly! This whole saga has and still is a bloody nightmare, but in the current scheme of things, trying to bite my lip. before i lose it big time!

I've seen a few people post about JL trying to replace with a lesser model. It's worth a try I suppose but in this case the XH9005 is not even close to a like for like replacement. Stick to your guns and play it calm and cool and I'm sure they will come good.

Last edited:
Finally got this sorted, new XH9505 coming next week
had compensation for all the hassle etc, ended up paying £100 towards replacement,
Happy with that, as i get a fresh 5 year warranty as well.
Thanks to everyone for all advice and help given, especially LCDseeker

cheers

Jools

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom