Bargain Expired Sony 55/65" XF90, 55" XG95

Kepler17

Standard Member
Reaction score
55" XF90 £549
55" XG95 & 65" XF90 £749 each.

Refurbished with one year warranty (can get 3 and 5 year for ~£40-90 more) from the Sony centre direct store.

Got my 55" XF90 from the recently expired Costco deal, but still had alerts set up so was alerted to the listings. There are some OLEDs listed too, but I don't know how much their usual pricing is, so there could be some deals there too over £1000.

During the AVforums review of this TV it had to be rebooted 3 times by a complete power down.
Other users complain this OS is still buggy and sluggish. I know that this model is now 2 years old and is this the reason why Sony have so many of these "refurbished" sets on offer?

During the AVforums review of this TV it had to be rebooted 3 times by a complete power down.
Other users complain this OS is still buggy and sluggish. I know that this model is now 2 years old and is this the reason why Sony have so many of these "refurbished" sets on offer?
Interesting as my XE9005 is fairly snappy after disabling a couple of background processes

Yeah I heard there is a work around in developer mode.
Do you have a link to this ?

Yeah I heard there is a work around in developer mode.
Do you have a link to this ?
Since I implemented the change the Android OS has been updated, so my solution may not hold true to today.

However I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sony TV based on my own experience.

Last edited:
They manufactured and sold the XF90 for two generations.

I'm not sure on the rebooting stuff. When first trying out my TV I did notice it randomly went off once or twice. After the first day I manually updated its firmware of some sort by usb stick and I haven't had any issues with it rebooting on its own at all in 36 hrs of use subsequently. It may be that you have to manually update its firmware since searching for updates through the TV won't find it.

The UI is sluggish, but not groundbreakingly bad, for me at least. I may add an external device down the line anyways which is usually the best way to go.

Well worth it for the HDR capability which you won't get anywhere else at £549. All other TVs below this level can't do HDR to an acceptable standard and can be problematic with HDR content being so prevalent now. I've watched Jack Ryan season 1 which uses Dolby Vision and it's absolutely stunning. Watched season 2 which uses HDR10+ (Amazon are a believer in HDR10+) and it's not quite as good as DV for me, but it is still quite a bit better than non-hdr content.

You also get the 120hz panel which I've found useful using some black frame insertion.

If you can put up with the slightly sluggish UI (which also won't get any proper updates), and would like good HDR on a budget, then it's a no brainer.

P.S.: I should add, I don't have freeview play set up on it. I think that might have an effect on the UI responsiveness.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom