Sony 52EX703 Backlight problem?!

thisispaulsmith

Standard Member
Just got my 52EX703 and have noticed to strange backlight issues, there is some slight issue at both the top and bottom which seems to be normal with LED however that's hardly noticeable when watching normally. However there is what can only be described as a swirly imprint around the center of the screen. It can be seen in the attached image, but it looks worse in the flesh.

Do I have a problem tv?

Attachments

• IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 454

DanM30

I have the exact same tv. I'm sending it back coz of the frankly awful uniformity! Have u watched any footie on yours yet? That was when I first noticed the cones at the top and bottom and the clouding mostly during panning.

thisispaulsmith

Standard Member
Yeah I noticed issues when watching the football, like you say when panning it's most noticeable. Not spoke to the place I bought it from yet so I'll see what they say.

dorgan

Did you get your replacement? I keep coming back to the 52EX703 (or 46) due to budget, but as I buy a TV every 10 years (or more!) I don't want to buy into such a problem that's going to annoy me anytime I watch it.

Doctor Hades

That (picture) looks horrible, like viewing a crumpled piece of paper! :eek:

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I wish this LED fad would die. Until manufacturers start using proper RGB full backlighting (like they did before every TV had to be LED) they should stop making LED sets.

Was that meant to be a black screen, because it looked like a white OHP screen from a school.

dorgan

Just went and bought one on my lunch break. I went looking for cones and the guy asked me if I want a flake on the top also. Just kidding. I honestly couldn't pick out the problems that were being discussed. I'll put it down to me becoming less picky in my old age :p

Gonna pick it up tomorrow with a friend from work. Need 2 pairs of hands to move that monolith 32" CRT out of where it is! Excited about this now. Wife still doesn't know but it'll be a nice surprise when she comes out of hospital. Either that or she'll be back in there again.

So where can I find the optimal settings for this TV? Or at least something to get me rolling. Thanks!

Dhillon884

Standard Member
I posted the same issues on Friday when I bought mine....
I noticed the cones before reading up on it, and it annoyed me..

Ok, so my main issue is if we are replacing the ex703, what are we replacing it with??

I just called the store, and the guy said he can do the ex503 for just £30 less than what I paid for the ex703, I said thats not good enough... I mean, isn't there some "banding" issues with that also...?

So now i just testing how bad these cones are. I hooked up my laptop and put different colours on the screen. I now also notice the darker centre... so i have decided its time for the 40ex703 to go.

Other options I have heard is the samsung 40c650 or the 40ex503. £770 for the sony (nicer remote and I like the style) compared to just £640ish for the Samsung from an online retailer.... Any views on this? Price isn't the main factor for me, its getting a good tv...

If your replacing your 703, what you guys considering?

And the rumours about the cones disappearing after 100hours viewing, is there any truth in that?

s2driveruk

actually...i wonder whether the fact that a display LED LCD might not exhibit the issues could well be the case if they sort of 'settle' after circa 100hrs of use? lets face it they must be on for hours in the shop, so a few days of running time before you view it on the shelf might just be the reason why it wouldn't be noticed pre purchase and definately seen post with a new box?

just a thought

Dhillon884

Standard Member
Yh, saying that, on Saturday, I went to best buy and I noticed it one thier yellow screen advertisements...

I also went to the sony centre I bought mine from and did find the ex503, slighlty richer in colour and contrast than the one I have.. but must admit, didnt notice the cones, but they did have a indoor drama on... when watching any sports or watching adverts with white screens, it is very noticible... Even the blue background of sky tv is darker on the right than on the left...

I notice from the other thread you were looking at the ex603. as thats the edge-LED version of the ex403.. look at them both...

Also, some places (currys/comet/1 independent sony centre) have told me that the ex703 has been discontinued... yet the ex503 is still going strong... hmmm!!

s2driveruk

yep, just noticed that there is a subtle change in product naming/numbering....some EX have become NX and dropped the LED aspect if i am not mistaken. would appear to be a bit of a quiet withdrawal going on unless its a genuine new entry

dorgan

Well after 2 weeks with my TV I will say that I'm still "mostly" satisfied with it. I don't have/see any cone problem. And although I'm not a footy fan (more rugby) I didn't notice any problems when viewing some games.

So here are the 2 main things that I don't like about the TV
1) The viewing angle. The picture is washed out looking when I'm sat off at the table on the laptop. Not sure how many degrees but if I had to guess I'd say perhaps 25°-30°. Even my wife has made a comment on the washed out picture and she usually couldn't give a rat's about these things.

2) Clouding in dark scenes. I was flicking though the channels last night and Kill Bill Vol.2 was on. It was the scene where she's breaking out of the grave and climbing up through the earth which is dark. The bottom left of the screen had some noticeable clouding that I thought there was someone shining a light on the screen at one stage. I've played with the backlight settings but I was unable to get rid of it. I didn't notice this as much when watching The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray via the PS3, which is also a very dark movie.

I've decided I'm going to live with these issues as the screen size for the price outweighs these problems and I didn't really see anything else that floated my boat.

For the record, it's a 52EX700 (as opposed to 703 but I guess this doesn't make a difference).

dorgan

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but following up for posterity.

So, almost 2 years on and my TV is in for repair :(
Thankfully, it's still within warranty so it shouldn't cost anything to repair. came home on Friday and turned on the TV only for the Sony logo to appear and disappear as quickly, before shutting itself down and the red LED flashing 6 times. Checking Google said it was something to do with the "inverter".

Anyway, I'm really cheesed off that such a TV last less than 2 years before needing repairs. My old Sony CRT was bulletproof compared to this thing. I kinda regret not taking a Panasonic Plasma. Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones this time round.

whitehart

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but following up for posterity.

So, almost 2 years on and my TV is in for repair :(
Thankfully, it's still within warranty so it shouldn't cost anything to repair. came home on Friday and turned on the TV only for the Sony logo to appear and disappear as quickly, before shutting itself down and the red LED flashing 6 times. Checking Google said it was something to do with the "inverter".

Anyway, I'm really cheesed off that such a TV last less than 2 years before needing repairs. My old Sony CRT was bulletproof compared to this thing. I kinda regret not taking a Panasonic Plasma. Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones this time round.

some ways i miss my sony CRT and my philips LED, as panasonic/sony/samsung TV's seem to always have issues and it doesnt seem dependant on the tech either as all of them have issues on LED and Plasmas

dorgan

some ways i miss my sony CRT and my philips LED, as panasonic/sony/samsung TV's seem to always have issues and it doesnt seem dependant on the tech either as all of them have issues on LED and Plasmas

Now that you say that, my colleague has a Samsung that he paid 2000€ for around 2 years ago and his developed horizontal lines across the screen. Thankfully he's got an extended 5 years warranty on that. I start to get the feeling that the manufacturers are putting a "throwaway" value on these things. It's a pity the price doesn't match so we wouldn't be as disappointed :)

whitehart

Now that you say that, my colleague has a Samsung that he paid 2000€ for around 2 years ago and his developed horizontal lines across the screen. Thankfully he's got an extended 5 years warranty on that. I start to get the feeling that the manufacturers are putting a "throwaway" value on these things. It's a pity the price doesn't match so we wouldn't be as disappointed :)

thats sooo true!

Last edited by a moderator:

dorgan

So I got my TV back after just over one week. The power source feeding the LED side lighting died.

Really shoddy treatment from my Sony service center. I figured it wouldn't be an overnight repair so decided to leave it with them for the week without calling. Still no sign of a call from them by Saturday so called them. The guy wasn't sure about the situation so went to check and said the TV is still open on the work bench, etc. Got a call on Monday before lunch time to tell me it was ready. It appears they were taking their sweet time to repair it and the call prompted them to get a move on. Got it home and plugged it in and it was working fine again. But I noticed they lost one of the screws from the back. The back casing isn't loose or anything but I feel cheesed off after I felt I was playing safe buying from them in the first place. Lesson learned: no advantage to buy something from a Sony retailer.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom