sony 5200es problem. software glitch? - help!

u02ai

Hi guys I recently purchased this fine amp and started having problems with it the last few nights. I have a PS3 connected via HDMI to HDMI1, Sky HD connected via component and optical to TV/SAT, and finally a Wii connected via component.
For some reason the audio output via the PS3 through HDMI seems to be stuck on '2 channel stereo' and I do mean stuck. even if I go into the setup menus it can not be changed. this means that I can not get dolby digital/DTS etc to output through the HDMI. I have tried changing HDMI cables and also been through the PS3 settings screen and ensured that sound is input via HDMI. Interestingly when this is done the PS3 says that the connected device can only support linear PCM 48.6 and 2 channel stereo. Even if I manually change the allowed formats it doesnt work. I have also tried resetting all the amp settings but still no joy. The sky HD seems to work fine outputting dolby digital via the optical which makes me wonder if this is some problem with the software or HDMI port. I havent tried connecting the PS3 to a different HDMI imput yet as it just happened last night but will have a further muck around with it tonight after work.
I really just wondered if any other ownders have expereinced any similar problems or anyone can offer advice.

wilfy

One thing I would try is to go in to the HDMI audio options menu on the OSD of the 5200.If this is set to TV+AMP , the amp is passing through the audio to the display which during handshake may be detecting that the display is only capable of decoding 2 channel.Try changing the setting to AMP,this is the setting I have mine on and I get get full 5.1 LPCM playback from my PS3.:thumbsup:

u02ai

I think I did try that last night but will give it another try tonight. your explanation does makes sense- thankyou very much for taking time to answer

u02ai

still cant get the amp to play DTS/dolby 5.1 etc from a PS3 connected via HDMI. the amp always defaults to 2ch stereo and reads linear PCM 48h. The dolby digital icon also doesnt light up. anyone else have any advice:lease:

u02ai

my denon 3930 arrive today and also cannot pass DTS/Dolby 5.1 through HDMI........sigh. all i get in the amp is 'dolby pro logic' lighting up. looks like I will have to connect with coaxial and investgate this further. :thumbsdow

Kev12

One thing I would try is to go in to the HDMI audio options menu on the OSD of the 5200.If this is set to TV+AMP , the amp is passing through the audio to the display which during handshake may be detecting that the display is only capable of decoding 2 channel.Try changing the setting to AMP,this is the setting I have mine on and I get get full 5.1 LPCM playback from my PS3.:thumbsup:

This solution cured my problem, admitedly with anHD-DVD player, but it must be the same principal. Change the HDMI audio from TV+AMP to AMP.

u02ai

:thumbsup: hi guys thanks for your help- I change the settings on the amp to auto(instead of PCM) and also change the PS3 settings to auto instead of PCM in the audio setup and this seems to have sorted the problem :thumbsup: woo hoo!

bertha

Hi UO2ai - I am looking to have the same set up as you - what tv do you this connected to? And what how do you rate Sky & the wii through the Sony?

Marks out of 10 - how would you rate this amp? And what did you have before (I have the Sony 930)

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!

Berth:)

u02ai

Hi UO2ai - I am looking to have the same set up as you - what tv do you this connected to? And what how do you rate Sky & the wii through the Sony?

Marks out of 10 - how would you rate this amp? And what did you have before (I have the Sony 930)

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!

Hi,

the sky and Wii through the 5200es to be honest are not vastly superior with 1080p scaling but certainly at least no worse than connecting them directly to the TV.

I have a sharp lc 52xd1e LCd which is 1080p.

I am newbie to AV and this is actually my first amp. I did have a loan of a yamaha rx459 before this came in- i find 5200es much much better in terms of setup and sound. I initially mainly bought this for the scaling but in retrospect am still very happy with the purchase even though the scaling is not immense. The GUI is fantastic, you can pass LPCM abd dolby digitial/DTS via HDMI ( unless you are an idiot like me) and you have 3 HDMI inputs and 3 component inputs to play with. I looked as several amps in this price bracket- the pioneer vsx ax4ASi, and the yamaha RXV 2700- but decided on the sony in the end. I have it running through sonance cinema select in wall fronts and am awaiting the rears to be fitted. I have also just recently got a denon 3930 which sounds great through the amp- would be intersting to turn the scaling off in the DVD player ( which can scale to 1080p) and compare this with the amp doing the scaling. this would give a good idea of how good the amp actually does scale. I will keep you posted on that one

I would give the amp 8.5/10 and would defincately recommend :clap: :clap:

bertha

Hi - thanks for that..I take it the PS3 just passes on through untouched via the HDMI? I'm hoping to join you in the happy 5200 owners club once I sort out some cash - hopefully sooner than later

u02ai

Hi - thanks for that..I take it the PS3 just passes on through untouched via the HDMI? I'm hoping to join you in the happy 5200 owners club once I sort out some cash - hopefully sooner than later

Hi ,
yeah the all HDMI inputs pass untouched through the amp. Only the analougue inputs are scaled. Does cut down on connections to the TV as everything can be run into the amp and output through one HDMI to the TV.

illingworth22

Hi,

the sky and Wii through the 5200es to be honest are not vastly superior with 1080p scaling but certainly at least no worse than connecting them directly to the TV.

I have a sharp lc 52xd1e LCd which is 1080p.

I am newbie to AV and this is actually my first amp. I did have a loan of a yamaha rx459 before this came in- i find 5200es much much better in terms of setup and sound. I initially mainly bought this for the scaling but in retrospect am still very happy with the purchase even though the scaling is not immense. The GUI is fantastic, you can pass LPCM abd dolby digitial/DTS via HDMI ( unless you are an idiot like me) and you have 3 HDMI inputs and 3 component inputs to play with. I looked as several amps in this price bracket- the pioneer vsx ax4ASi, and the yamaha RXV 2700- but decided on the sony in the end. I have it running through sonance cinema select in wall fronts and am awaiting the rears to be fitted. I have also just recently got a denon 3930 which sounds great through the amp- would be intersting to turn the scaling off in the DVD player ( which can scale to 1080p) and compare this with the amp doing the scaling. this would give a good idea of how good the amp actually does scale. I will keep you posted on that one

I would give the amp 8.5/10 and would defincately recommend :clap: :clap:

Did you ever try the above? Just wondering how the up-scaling worked out. I purchased this amp a few weeks ago and tried to upscale to 1080p when I switched to TV/Sat (Sky +) there was no picture at all. I have also noticed that there can be a slight delay when switching from TV/Sat to HDMI's. Also if I turn on the amp first then switch on the Humax Freesat the picture will not come on...I have to switch off the Humax then turn it back on.
All in all the amp sounds FAB with my Kef 2005 5.1's

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom