• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony 5200/3200 decisions

Jakakadave

Standard Member
I'm thinking of going for a 3200/5200 along with a Monitor Audio BR5 or RS6 based 5.1 speaker system (dependant upon how flush i'm feeling!)

Do you think that this will be a good match as I have heard that the MA's benefit from a receiver with a warm sound.

What are the relative merits of my going for the 5200 over the 3200 other than the extra HDMI input and 1080p upscaling (rather than just upconverting on the 3200)

7oaks are trying to push the denon 2307 - how will that match up to the sonys?

Also, at least for a couple of years this set up will be my main music system. How does the 5200/3200 stack up as a music amp? I understand that the 5200 uses analogue amplification for music rather than digital - presumably this is a good thing?

Would I be better off getting a cheaper amp eg the onkyo 674 for £300 and then getting a dedicated 2 channel amp for around the same money?

Cheers

Jack

Jakakadave

Standard Member
No one?

Don Guido

I don't know if it helps you make a decision, but amazon.co.uk are now offering the 5200ES at £630 - which is temptingly close to the price of the 3200ES.

I had just about settled on the 3200ES as Im not entirely convinced I need upscaling - though the fancy OSM on the 5200 is nice. Now I'm going to have to think some more :D

One of the home cinema magazines, I think What Home Cinema have just given the 5200ES the best AV receiver sub £1000 nod.

Now all I need to decide upon in speakers, I'm currently considering Q Acoustics 1010, Kef KHT2005.2 and 3005's

Laters

Jakakadave

Standard Member
whats OSM?

Buying an amp is so much more complicated than buying a tv!

Don Guido

sorry that should have read OSD = On Screen Display.

The one on the 5200ES looks a lot like the Playstations XMB interface. The 3200 doesn't have this menu system (though I think it does have a basic version).

I'm a noob at this stuff too, but have to say that I got a demo of the 5200 this lunchtime and it looked mightily impressive, so am veering in that direction.

Mind you spending more in the amp eats into my modest budget of £1200 so might have to haggle a bit to get speakers I want.

Tossing up now between Q Acoustics 1010 and Kef 3005.

smjxm09

I have a Sony 5200 firing into KEF 3005's while using a Panasonic DMR-EX75 HDD/DVD player as a source. I have been using the DVD War Of The Worlds as my demo to friends and neighbours. With the amp set to –5dB's you can feel the room shake which has impressed everyone as they jump out of their chairs. Speech is clear and movie sound tracks sound good.

While this set up is great for films there is no comparison to my vastly superior sounding set up for music, which cost half the price. For music I am using a Rotel RA-02 amp and a Rotel RCD-02 CD player. Both cost around £350 from memory. My speakers are Quad 11L's, which again cost around £350. The difference is like chalk and cheese so while I am very happy with the Cinema aspect of this set up I would be disappointed if this was my music souce.

The Sony 5200 cost £599 from the Sony Centre at Harrow. You have to speak to Ravi to get this price and you have to collect, while the KEF 3005's cost £799 including a set of speaker stands from Hi Spek that I sold for £80! I did have the amp on order from Amazon but I was waiting too long and cancelled the order so saving another £30

Don Guido

smjxm09,

I really want the one system to do both music and home theater, is it worth trying a different set of speakers then? as I relly like the look and spec of the Sony amp?

Jakakadave

Standard Member
Don Guido,

Have you considered the Duo Acoustics Duo-77a's? They are £695 for the whole shebang and are sposed to be awesome. reviews say they think people would happily pay £1500 for them - plus, they look amazing.

I'm going for a big monitor audio speaker set up cuz satellites and sub arent a good way to listen to music.

I think i may have to contact ravi!! That sony centre is only 10 mins from my house! awesome!

smjxm09

I have no idea what is influencing the music sound the most. Maybe if I connected my dedicated CD player to the Sony there would be a big improvement although I suspect the dedicated 2 channel Rotel music amp is better for music than the Sony as it does not process the sound. Likewise I suspect the 2 speaker Quads are better for music reproduction than a satellite / woofer arrangement.

I would say that my Rotel and Quads would challange most AV systems for music reproduction.

Don Guido

Don Guido,

Have you considered the Duo Acoustics Duo-77a's? They are £695 for the whole shebang and are sposed to be awesome. reviews say they think people would happily pay £1500 for them - plus, they look amazing.

I'm going for a big monitor audio speaker set up cuz satellites and sub arent a good way to listen to music.

I think i may have to contact ravi!! That sony centre is only 10 mins from my house! awesome!

Hehehe, lucky you, my wife is not that tolerant where it comes to large speakers and whilst the speakers you mention above look amazing, she would plain wig out. It;s one of the reasons Im trying to find a style speaker package that produces half decent sound. Im not looking for the best sonic experience out there, merely something that performs Home Theater well and doesn't sound too awful when playing music.

I keep reading bad reviews about people having problems with PS3's and 5200's - as this is will be my source for BD/DVD/CD Im getting a bit worried.

Also there seem to be a lot of probs with the scaler/upconverter does anyone know if this is something Sony might patch?

My only inputs to the amp are going to be from Sky+ (Hopefully Sky HD soon) and the PS3 and this will be output to a Sony KDL40W200

Now a bit worried...

To smjxm09 my friend has a Rotel set up and it rocks! :clap:

Kev12

I have no idea what is influencing the music sound the most. Maybe if I connected my dedicated CD player to the Sony there would be a big improvement although I suspect the dedicated 2 channel Rotel music amp is better for music than the Sony as it does not process the sound. Likewise I suspect the 2 speaker Quads are better for music reproduction than a satellite / woofer arrangement.

I would say that my Rotel and Quads would challange most AV systems for music reproduction.

Wow, those rotels must be good!
IMHO the Sony is excellent with music CD's, especially with analogue direct engaged, which by-passes any "processing".
This is with a sony DVP 900 DVD player as a source(not on my list)

smjxm09

Maybe I am being a little harsh on the Sony and KEF's. Last night I watched the DVD musical Moulin Rouge. It sounded great with its DTS soundtrack.

My statement on music is basically based on its FM radio reception compared to satellite radio that I use on the Rotel. I also have the Moulin Rouge soundtrack on CD which definitely sounds better on the Rotel /Quads compaired to the DVD played on the Sony / KEF's. Maybe if I didn't have the Rotel / Quads I would think they were perfect.

Sony claim that the 5200 was developed with the PS3 in mind so I find it hard to believe that Sony would have messed up with this combination seeing that they are both Sony products.

Don Guido

I didn't realise that was the case - about the PS3 being borne in mind when developing the 5200 :)

I'm not too bothered by the FM aspect, the main plan is to use teh Harddrive on the PS3 to supply the music for occasioanl listening.

The bulk of the amp/speakers work is going to be handling Sky/Movies.

Its such a tough decision choosing all this kit, and now I have just seen some news about The Onkyo TX-SR605 which is HDMI 1.3 :(

u02ai

Hehehe, lucky you, my wife is not that tolerant where it comes to large speakers and whilst the speakers you mention above look amazing, she would plain wig out. It;s one of the reasons Im trying to find a style speaker package that produces half decent sound. Im not looking for the best sonic experience out there, merely something that performs Home Theater well and doesn't sound too awful when playing music.

I keep reading bad reviews about people having problems with PS3's and 5200's - as this is will be my source for BD/DVD/CD Im getting a bit worried.

Also there seem to be a lot of probs with the scaler/upconverter does anyone know if this is something Sony might patch?

My only inputs to the amp are going to be from Sky+ (Hopefully Sky HD soon) and the PS3 and this will be output to a Sony KDL40W200

Now a bit worried...

To smjxm09 my friend has a Rotel set up and it rocks! :clap:

Hi,
dont worry too much mate:) . I was one of the people having trouble with the PS3 and outputing dolby digitial and LPCM via HDMI. Have now got it sorted and the amp is great.:thumbsup: really just involved picking the correct settings from both the PS3 and 5200es menu. Upscaling is nothing to shout about but the GUI and auto calibration is awesome. plenty of HDMI inputs (3) as well. The main reason I bought the amp was the GUI and 3 HDMIs and also ability to pass LPCM and DTS etc via HDMI. You could save a bit and go for the 3200- you wouldnt really miss the scaling but would lose one HDMI input and the slick GUI but would still benefit from passing audio via HDMI.

Don Guido

Do you know whether the Sony suffers from the -10db low frequency problems (I think to do with vocals during movies though am a noob at this so probably not explaining it well) as some other amps, or is it adjustable?

Also is there any remote likeliehood of a firware update for HDMI 1.3 or is that likely to be the next gen model of this amp?

Kind regards,

Guy

sameerabedi

Where can you get the sony 5200e from? Being looking online and none of the main retailers appear to stock it!
Thanks

Keiron

I've just replaced my Rotel pre/pro & 5 channel power amp with a Sony receiver to drive my Dynaudio speakers. There's no pretending, the Sony doesn't achieve what the Rotels did. However, I guess in your situation it's the Quad speakers that account for 80% of the improvement you're hearing rather than the amp. I have a view that these days you can get superb electronics for very little money (thank you, China!) compared to just 10 years ago.

Why don't you use the Quads for your AV listening too?

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
going back to the thread title, the good news is that the 5200ES scored best buy in the Home Cinema Choice best buy awards mag:clap:

VDG

So far 3200 here sounds absolutely amazing.. and unless you are coming from dedicated hi-end stereo b.ground (2.0 linn a like) I don't think you will be disappointed with 3200 musicality... (even with my 'half there' set up- need decent surround speakers) proper source like studio CDs/DTS CD/DVD-A - (LPCM especially) sounds simply outstanding.. soundstage, separation, clarity etc is just WOW..

u02ai

Hi guys quick question. I own a 5200es and only have a 3.1 system connected currently(fronts and a subwoofer). What is the display on the amp mean to dislay when playing back LPCM? I know when dolbydigital or DTS is played back this lights up on the amp display but when playing back LPCM all I see on the display is something like linear 48hz or something like that-is this correct?

norealplan

Distinguished Member
Looking here at the 5200:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...pe=Overview&category=HCS+Home+Cinema+Receiver

On the front page it says "Video up-scaling up to true high definition 1080p. The newest FAROUDJA chip set will increase the resolution of any video material up to 1080p - True high definition picture quality."

However under technical specifications it says:

Input Signal (Up to) 480i/480i/480i-1080i

Output Signal (Up to) 480i/480i-480p/480p-1080i

Can anyone explain this to me please?

midknight

Distinguished Member
Well I have this amp (it is for sale on the sales thread due to not having enough time to use/enjoy it!) and it will upscale to 1080p unless the INPUT is via HDMI then it will just pass it through. So if, for instance, you have SKY HD connected to the amp via HDMI it will accept the 1080i signal from the SKY box and pass that through and output 1080i as it is connected via HDMI - howvere if you connect the SKY box via component then the amp will upscale from 1080i to 1080p!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom