1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 510 vs Panny EH50 HDD Recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MiniRoll, Jun 14, 2005.

1. MiniRoll

MiniRoll
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Following all the problems with my EH50 ( http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213738 ), I have returned the unit and am getting a refund.

I was going to wait until new products with digital tuners and EPGs arrived, but now I've had a taste of this technology after years of using a vidoe, I just don't think I can wait.

I thought I may get a Sony 510. However, having read a lot of info it seems that the recording quality on the 510 is not up to the EH50.

If anyone has seen the 2 in action, can they let me know how they compare. For example, is SP (33 hours on the HDD) on the 510 similar quality to LP (68 hours on the HDD) on the EH50?

Many thanks

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I don't have the E50, but I do have the E85. Recording quality on the Sony is every bit as good as the Panny at the higher settings. The Pannies tend to do better at the lowest settings, but I never user them so cannot really comment.

The HCC review of the Sony is accurate and fair IMHO. For me the killer for the 510 was DL recording. Lack of FR on the Sony is a downer.

3. MiniRoll

MiniRoll
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    philipb

Thanks for your comments.

Is the review of the 510 in the latest (July) issue of HCC? It does not seem to be available on their site yet. What are their overall comments on the machine?

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The rating is 4.5 stars.

Highs - DL recording; user friendly operation; picture quality.

Lows - no DV; no i.link; smallish HD; analogue tuner.

"The picture quality throughout the entire spectrum of recording modes is enough to send jaws hurtling towards the floor. HQ+ is perfect"

Conclusion is highly recommended.

If you need a bigger HD and DV in then go for the 710/910 which are or soon will be available.

BTW - playback of commercial DVDs is better than any other recorder I've seen and on a par with dedicated players costing around £500.

5. MiniRoll

MiniRoll
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All sounds very good - many thanks for the info.