1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 510 - Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kwebbotaurus, Jun 9, 2005.

1. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Just got back from reading Home Cinema Choice reviews of Sony 510 & Toshiba XS34 and I'm seriously considering the Sony!

A few Questions Though:

1) How does the 2hr 30min mode compare to similar modes on Panasonic EH50 & Toshiba XS34

2) Is the dual layer recording only compatible with the Sony machines?

3) Are there any essential editing features I would be missing out on?

4) Any known problems with the Sony 510?

2. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Some more questions:
    5) Does the 510 have the RGB Pass through problem?

6) Can you watch a recording on the HD while it is recording another programme to the HD?

Thanks in advance!

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Bought the 510 on Tuesday, so limited experience to date. My main reason for purchase was its DL capability.

I haven't yet tried all the quality settings, but HQ+ (HDD only), HQ (=XP on Pannies) and HSP (1.5 hrs on a 4.7GB disc) are excellent, but so far I haven't gone below that. At HSP setting you get over 2.5 hrs on a DL disc which so far has been plenty for the movies I've archived to disc.

There have been reports that the DL discs have limited capability on set top boxes. I have a Denon 2900 modded for SDI and I already knew that it was OK with DL discs burned on a PC. I put the first DL disc burned on the 510 into the 2900 with fingers crossed - and it played perfectly. So far no problems. But it would be wise to try to test a DL disc from a 510 on your DVD player if you can.

Don't know what you regard as essential features. The 510 will do everything I've done on my Panny E85, although the Panny is a bit user friendlier. Let me know what you need to do and I'll try to do it.

I don't know of any problems endemic to the 510 - but 4 days is not long to test it. There were reports of a noisy fan on this model but I can only hear mine if I put my ear right up to it.

The lack of a flexible record mode is definitely a minus for this model. But last night I burned Open Range (2 hours 15 mins) to a DL disc at HSP setting which meant that there was about 30 mins space left on the disc. The PQ was fabulous and indistinguishable from the original Sky+ recording. So I don't think I'll miss FR too much.

I like the 510 - if you want DL then go for it, or the 710/910 if you need bigger HDs and DV in.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Just seen the extra questions.

What is the RGB problem? I'm not using it so not sure i could help there.

Not sure about the nest question - I can check when I get home.

5. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for the replies!

To be honest I'm not sure what the RGB problem is myself I've heard it mentioned on these forums but haven't read what it is!

With the editing, does the machine create its own menus for DVDs?

Does it pass through the Digibox signal (if connected to one) when it is off?

Do you need to switch it to standby/timer mode for timer recordings or does it carry them out regardless of being on or off?

Also, did you buy it multi-region, cheapest place I have spotted is LE Concepts - £320!

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    It does create its own menus, but there is no choice of background like you get with Pannies.

As I said I'm not using passthrough but I can check in the manual later tonight. I'm pretty sure it does.

It does NOT need to be switched off for timer recordings - a plus over the Pannies this time.

I didn't buy MR - I only use R2 stuff and it won't be my main player anyway. £320 is pretty good.

7. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Yes - interesting. 3 guys report a problem with the 210 and suddenly all sonys have a RGB problem :eek:

Others have posted that they have had no problems, so it looks like it was a couple of faulty 210s, not an inherent problem. I'm not using passthrough, but RGB in via scart is excellent. I may be able to try it out tonight in passthrough - watch this thread.

9. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Right - had a play with the 510.

Yes you can watch a recording on the HDD while recording a new prog.

And RGB passthrough works perfectly.

10. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Is the Widescreen flag recorded to DVD+R Dual Layer?

I notice that on Raczack's 'Which DVD Recorder' page that he says the Sony machines automatically record the flag to DVD-R & DVD-RW, but not DVD+R & DVD+RW.

11. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Can you confirm whether or not the 510 records 16:9 widescreen + flag to dual layer or is it just letterboxed?

12. murrayp

murrayp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't set the 16:9 flag or the letterbox flag on any "+" discs, so you'll just need to switch your TV to 16:9 manually if you play a "+" disc with an anamorphic recording.

This is also true for the Philips machines and some others I've looked at - it may even be true for all "+" recordings made on stand-alone recorders.

13. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks MurrayP, what I meant was, does it record a 16:9 image on dual layer or just a 4:3 letterboxed image?

14. murrayp

murrayp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It records a 16:9 image, just no 16:9 flag. That's normal for "+" discs.