1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 51" or Tosh 46"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jingy, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in a bit of a dilemma as to which TV to buy, I've got down to two models the Sony KP51DS1 or the Toshiba 46WHO8. I've seen an ex-demo Sony for £2000 and the tosh is a similar price if buying on interest free. I know the Sony as built in ONdigital but that is not too much concern to me. My friend has a 41" version, the picture is amazing. Does anyone have any advice to offer on which is the better tv and why. Also anyone now how good the new Sony 44" TV is ?

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No contest, go for the Toshiba 46" or 56". They have component inputs and a non-reflective screen, adjustable RGB and a simple convergence control. Try to see the two makes alongside each other if possible. Good luck!

3. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Delta. I have my reservations due to the Tosh being broken down evertwhere I go, also the Sony is definitely a better looking box. My friend has a Sony and the picture is amazing, people don't realise its a RPTV until they ask. Do you know anything of the new 44 inch Sony, that does have anti reflective screen etc.

4. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ye its Home Cinema Choice...at the back where they feature the best of each AV product..The sony 61" is the best with the Hitachi second. So I take it no one knows about the new Sony KP44PS. You guys have only confused me more but the Tosh looks the more viable choice.

5. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Jingy, I have yet to see the Sony 44", so it would be unfair to comment. You do seem to be leanikng toward the Toshiba. If you look through all of the threads, you will find many favourable reports on the Tosh and equally as many against the Sony range. But I think the Tosh is ahead on picture and features.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also looking at the 46" Tosh and I have seen one working next to the 61" 4:3 Sony RP.

The Sony was much darker than the Tosh and did't seem to have the same ability to see the screen from wide angles like I could on the tosh.

I saw the Sony 51 RP in a shop down Tottenham Court Road, the picture was very very dark.

All my AV stuff is Sony so initially I decided to go for the 51" Sony, but after shopping around, it does appear as though the Tosh is a better option.

I agree that the Sony looks more aesthetically pleasing, but I would not buy a TV for this reason alone.

All the mags seem to rate the wide screen tosh RP's above the Sony widescreen RP's. But just to confuse the issue, one magazine (can't remember which) rates the 61" sony RP as the the best RP TV ever.

Tosh for me.....

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jingy,

Is it connected to your DVD player different to your friend? The reason I ask is that afetr reading your comments I read the on-line review which reds as follows....

PERFORMANCE

DVD pictures fed through the component video inputs look terrific, with beautifully rich and bright pictures devoid of interference or, even more remarkably, 100Hz processing artefacts. Oddly, a few artefacts show up with Natural Scan switched in, so don't use it.

Watching DVDs via the RGB or S-video inputs is a slightly less rewarding experience, with faint traces of shimmer coming into play, but is nevertheless hugely enjoyable.

Digital and analogue TV broadcasts also look excellent, although a screen this immense inevitably reveals the various limitations of our broadcast signals.

Interesting comments regarding the Tosh though. I'm still torn between the Tosh and a SONY 51".

It looks like the best performance depends on the way you connect it. My prefered method is to route all signals to my AMP and then output via S-Video to Scart to the TV, I'm not sure I could do S-Video to Componant input (?).

Would anyone with this TV like to comment on all of this?

It seems you get sold a certain product from different shops depending on their biases (ie what product are they an official dealer for, ie, Hi-Spek seem to push for a Tosh sale and bitch about Sony, yet the Sony 61" is rated the best ever RP TV)

db

8. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I've had a Tosh 40PW03 for a few weeks now and although the screen size is not as big i am really pleased with the picture from my Sony DVD player.

The only real thing that bugs me about it is the constant switching of screen sizes when watching cable broadcasts ( I have no terrestrial aerial) This may be something to do with my cable box but i have changed the box settings to 16:9 and it still happens??

I would certainly check your connections though because it shouldn't be 'grainy'

Comment on the viewing angles, Currys offered me the video cabinet to go with my RP but it would have lifted it too high and affected the picture. I'm fortunate in that i sit directly in front of my set so i have no problems in that area.......

have a look if you want...

Click this and go to the photo gallery section

9. 2shy

2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 56inch toshiba, and have none of the above problems whatsoever. 56 inches of faultless picture here.

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to your menu and make sure 100Hz is ON and noise reduction is OFF

11. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Guys...I'm actually quite sad today.
    We had the Tosh delivered yesterday, a 46" Wh08. My wife and I sat and watched it for about 3 hours conected to a 210E Tosh DVD. As my friend has a 41DS1 Sony we can't help compare it with that. The picture on the Tosh was grainy and there was a lot of follow though on images, like trails, not only on fast moving objects but slow ones as well (can this be fixed). We watched Last of the Mohicans and Insider. Its not bad but I don't know what all the fuss is about. We took the two films around my friends house and watched some of the scenes where trailing occured and there was none. People say the Tosh has a wider viewing angle but the Sony is great, the Tosh is only better when standing up but you don't watch TV standing up.
    I am seriously considering returning the Tosh as I have 7 days and buying a Sony.
    The guy at the shop hooked up a DVD to a 56" Tosh and the picture was really bad but he said that was because of the light, when he put it on the 51" and 61" Sony's the picture was great. Think Tosh have a bigger fan base but not so sure about the quality. The sound is definitely better on the Tosh by a mile but that is not the reason you by a TV.

12. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to someone at Toshiba and they said that the TV should have a crystal clear picture from more than 4 ft away. When I spoke to someone at the shop they said that a grainy picture is part and parcel of a RPTV. You guys reckon I shouldn't have a grainy picture. Do you think that my description of grainy is not right (What I mean is that when you look at say a white backgorund in a film, for example a shirt or somthing, you can see very very fine black lines running up and down and across the screen so you tend to see millions of little rectangles).
    The shop said they charge £50 to come and have a look, I thought I read on this forum that Tosh are very helpful and come and set the box up so that it is perfect. Any help/advice.

13. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I don't know if i'm right about this but i'd be buggered if was going to pay £50 for a problem with a set that i'd just had delivered. The only thing i would say is to make absolutlely sure all the connections are good and even try your dvd on another set. If the problem is obviously with the RP set then it was not fit for the job you bought it for and they should either replace or repair free of charge......isn't this normal consumer rights??

14. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know., if they take it back they want 15% handling charge which is £300. It just there are trying to make out it is normal for a set to be grainy, although Tosh reckon this is not so.

15. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I'd deal directly with Tosh then as the retailer seems to be rather unhelpful

Don't suppose it was a major high street store by any chance was it???

I think i'd be gearing up for a battle!!!

16. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I also have the 46" model and when playing DVD's using component out I have a perfect picture, cystal clear, no grain or other artifacts at all. But there may be reasons why you do.

First off does the fault appear using all types of connection ie, scart component, super video?

Are you using good quality cables? As this can have a major impact on quality and can cause lines and grain.

Do you have the sharpness on high?

Have you set the convergance correctly?

17. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have checked out everything then the set is clearly faulty and you are entitled to a refund or replacement. The dealer is entirely responsible for this although an email to Toshiba is sure to help you. The dealer is NOT entitled to charge you for coming out or to deduct anything if he makes a refund. If it does get unpleasnat waste no time and contact your local Trading Standards office. The Toshiba series is excellent and there should be NO evidence of grain unless it is being input from a poor source.

How disappointing this is for you, I wish you good luck!

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got a hitachi 43" rear pro tv although it gets excellent reviews in all the mags i cannot find one in a shop, why is it not being stocked, what is back up like, any problems.
    I dont fancy a tosh because of its micky mouse and frankly ugly build..any advice please.. ;)

19. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ye Delta I tried different SCART leads. I played around with the sharpness which at the moment is on 0. I sit about 10ft away from the set and my eye sight is not the best in the world and I still see grains. My worry is that the engineer will just come out and say that nothing is wrong with the set. The convergance seems centered.

The Hitachi was on display in Tempo's why don't you have a look at it there.