Sony 50W829 or 46W905 Help!

Damian Clarkson

Novice Member
Hi, Iv just got a W829 50inch after all the great reviews and it is a cracking tv but im finding it a bit too big when watching normal TV. We sit about 8ft from the tv and previously had a 46 hx853. The colours and screen are way better to my eyes on the w829 but I wonder if the 46w905 has as a good an image as the w829 because I think 46 inch would be perfect for us? Any help is welcome guys!
Plus, does the 905 have the same matte type panel as the 829? I prefer it to glass.

Picture quality is paramount to me, I dont care about smart, 3d or sound as I have chromecast for streaming, 3d hurts my eyes and i have a separate sound system.

Man, TV shopping is stressful!

wozwebs

I bought the 46w905 first as I was going from an LG 42". Got it from the Sony Outlet but it had really bad banding on it. Then got the W829 from Costco for £780 and really pleased with it (first one had banding, this one almost perfect) but thought I would try the W905 again as everyone still raves about it. Bought another from John Lewis and again that has poor banding so it's going back.

It's screen is a lot more glossy that the w829 and I didn't like the stand as it reflects what is on the screen all the time which can be off putting. The frame on it is also thicker than the W829 so you won't notice much or a reduction in size. After reviewing all sets I'm keeping the W829. Blacks are great and the matte screen,bigger size, cheaper price and thinner bezel make it the one for me. Hope this helps.

PA77ULY

Banned
If you have zero issues with the W829 other than it feeling a little too big I would 100% say keep it.

Most people would say 50" is perfect from 8 feet (I'm currently viewing a 50" from 10 feet and it does feel a tad too small).

I'm sure in no time you'll get used to it.

megadeth uk

If you have zero issues with the W829 other than it feeling a little too big I would 100% say keep it.

Most people would say 50" is perfect from 8 feet (I'm currently viewing a 50" from 10 feet and it does feel a tad too small).

I'm sure in no time you'll get used to it.
As oliviasdad has already mentioned and I'll second it, you'll get used to the extra size in no time and why change something your happy with quality wise when you could end up getting something that has issues, it's a minefield out there you know with led tv's ;)

jpr141

Well guys my new 50w829 is up and running and loving it. I dont see the red undersaturated issue well not compared to my previous Lg 47lm620 and lg is know to be pretty good with colours. Thats what im comparing to on bbc hd e.t.c there reds looks good on the w829 to me. I have an April build so very new obv lol Got mine from co - op it arrived in top condition the box e.t.c. HD looks great too im using a tivo box havent tried blu ray yet. My settings arent nothing special just dialed in what i know to be about right regarding brightness settings e.t.c the basic settings. Also after pausing on something with a black ground and the credits showing ive gone for white balance red gain -3 and green gain -4. I find this a good way of testing it shows up on any colouring issues on the white credits on the black ground if you change the gain settings to far. Also did the latest software update too even though this set is an April build it had a n update there. This baby has settings everywhere too so make sure you find them all and check over things lol

All in all im pleased blacks look great too much better than the previous LG by quite a way.

jpr141

LMAO Sorry posted in this in the wrong thread. I'll copy an paste it over soon. Thats what i get for still concentrating on my new tv more. The wife has been down my lug too ARE YOU DONE YET lol

Manuel890

I bought the 46w905 first as I was going from an LG 42". Got it from the Sony Outlet but it had really bad banding on it. Then got the W829 from Costco for £780 and really pleased with it (first one had banding, this one almost perfect) but thought I would try the W905 again as everyone still raves about it. Bought another from John Lewis and again that has poor banding so it's going back.

It's screen is a lot more glossy that the w829 and I didn't like the stand as it reflects what is on the screen all the time which can be off putting. The frame on it is also thicker than the W829 so you won't notice much or a reduction in size. After reviewing all sets I'm keeping the W829. Blacks are great and the matte screen,bigger size, cheaper price and thinner bezel make it the one for me. Hope this helps.
I have your same situation , I had 3 46w905 and all had banding .now I want try a 40 size but its more expansive . Did you tried a 40 size ?I can't find info about 40w905 .Does anyone own this TV?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom