Sony 50w705 not working

af88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Looking for a bit of advice.
My kitchen tv has gone a bit faulty.
The tv turns on but no picture is on the screen. I can hear the sounds. The only thing plugged in is an aerial and I’ve tried removing that to see if it helps but nothing. I can see the backlight is on and the leds flash when I press the remote.
Im a bit stumped as everything was fine the day before. It has just decided to stop working.
I’ve tried the button press combinations that’s meant to reset it but it doesn’t. With no picture I can’t navigate through the menus to reset it either.
Local tv repair shop wants £40 to check it and a further for parts or some places take it away and pay me £20-30.
Not sure if I should try and repair it as there’s parts available on eBay or bite the bullet and buy a new one but that’s difficult to justify when most of the time it’s watching bbc news while I’m having breakfast.

Any ideas or suggestions what I should try before giving up?

Cheers

Is the menu visible on the screen when you press the menu button?

Is the menu visible on the screen when you press the menu button?
Nothing is visible. It’s like the the tv is on but only displaying pure black image. The backlight is on I can see that much.

Have you tried unplugging/switching off at the power socket for a few mins then powering on again?
Have you tried pressing the menu button on the set (not on the remote)?

Have you tried unplugging/switching off at the power socket for a few mins then powering on again?
Yup. Tried the usual diagnostic, unplug/plug, off/on and I even tried a different power brick from another similar Sony that broke, cracked screen, years ago.
Tried a roku tv stick on it as well and only get sound no picture.

Are you sure the backlight is on?
Without the backlight on the screen will appear black but if you shine a torch at an angle close to the screen you should be able to make out the video content.
With the backlight on I'd expect to see a slight glow from the screen.

Are you sure the backlight is on?
Without the backlight on the screen will appear black but if you shine a torch at an angle close to the screen you should be able to make out the video content.
With the backlight on I'd expect to see a slight glow from the screen.
Yeah. If I turn the lights off the whole screen is glowing likes it’s displaying a dark image

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom