• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony 503 or Panny S20?

one_dull_guy

Standard Member
Hi,
I've been reading reviews and comments about which 40/42" TV to get on here for ages and I need to make a decision. I went to John Lewis to have a look at the sets and have narrowed it down to:

Sony 42KDL-40EX503
Panasonic TX-P42S20

I was looking at the G20 Panny as well but feel that I don't need the Freesat HD as I have a Virgin+ box that gives me all of the HD channels I need.

I know a lot of people rave about the G20 but, apart from the Freesat HD and the extra HDMI port, is it really that much better?

I'll be using it for standard and HD 'normal' TV viewing, some movies, and some gaming on the Wii (I know, not really hardcore).

Any advice would be gratefully received.

duffer

Just ordered the Sony 40" EX403 with VAT rebate for my in-laws. Will work out at around 550 Euro. I'm looking forward to hooking it up to a Blu-Ray player to wow the MIL. Personally I would've gone for the Panasonic plasma but 40" is already quite big for their room (the 37" panel is not as good as the others in the same range) so 42" would definitely be a no-no. Those plasmas don't exactly have a small frame either, at home I've got the 42" Panasonic and the frame on either side is another 2".

TommyZ

I wouldn't go for a Panasonic plasma because of the problems it has displaying UK TV broadcasts. The upscalling of the Sony isn't very good.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom