1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 500GB HDD Recorder

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Sep 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
  2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Crikey, that's a serious bit of kit:)
    The Japanese consumer is spoilt for choice when it comes to anything electronic, it was only a few months back when I was amazed to see 250Gb HD's being used!

Mind you when we get some decent hardware "Sony HAR-D1000" it's underspecced and over priced, I really fancied an standalone hard drive based music server type device.

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can easily get 120gb in a sky+, so it is not that great.

Would be nice to know the price as a pair of 250gb hard drives are circa £200 each now.

Fou of them in a home cinema pc and you got a terrabit!!!!!!!!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Starburst, the price on a music server is cos of licensing and support, they're basically a linux pc. People like iMerge run their own CDDB for their customers, as the net-based ones are not very comprehensive. The price of the hardware is small beer.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The SONY product I looked at was a domestic unit, so there is no licensing or support required.
    Based purely on the hardware required to create a simple standalone AV seperate the price of around £500 is way over the top but I suppose it's a low volume product which will attract a buyer no matter what the cost and I can't find a similar product so there is no competition either.
    But I can hope, no rush to spend that sort of money just to make my CD collection more accessible:)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Starburst, I have HDD music servers coming out of my ears here, but if you think £500 is too much then don't worry! Just for a laugh, iMerge starts at 1299 or so. It's ethernet capable, and you buy £600 player/amplifiers to cat 5 or wireless 54g connect to it for more sound zones. It's very clever, does FM, CD, HDD, internet radio, and is sold into a non-price sensitive area of the market..... www.imerge.co.uk It's not the only one, everyone and his dog has them at the high end install market.