Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony 500GB HDD Recorder

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Sep 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
  2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Crikey, that's a serious bit of kit:)
    The Japanese consumer is spoilt for choice when it comes to anything electronic, it was only a few months back when I was amazed to see 250Gb HD's being used!

Mind you when we get some decent hardware "Sony HAR-D1000" it's underspecced and over priced, I really fancied an standalone hard drive based music server type device.

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can easily get 120gb in a sky+, so it is not that great.

Would be nice to know the price as a pair of 250gb hard drives are circa £200 each now.

Fou of them in a home cinema pc and you got a terrabit!!!!!!!!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Starburst, the price on a music server is cos of licensing and support, they're basically a linux pc. People like iMerge run their own CDDB for their customers, as the net-based ones are not very comprehensive. The price of the hardware is small beer.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The SONY product I looked at was a domestic unit, so there is no licensing or support required.
    Based purely on the hardware required to create a simple standalone AV seperate the price of around £500 is way over the top but I suppose it's a low volume product which will attract a buyer no matter what the cost and I can't find a similar product so there is no competition either.
    But I can hope, no rush to spend that sort of money just to make my CD collection more accessible:)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Starburst, I have HDD music servers coming out of my ears here, but if you think £500 is too much then don't worry! Just for a laugh, iMerge starts at 1299 or so. It's ethernet capable, and you buy £600 player/amplifiers to cat 5 or wireless 54g connect to it for more sound zones. It's very clever, does FM, CD, HDD, internet radio, and is sold into a non-price sensitive area of the market..... www.imerge.co.uk It's not the only one, everyone and his dog has them at the high end install market.