1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 50" LCD Sony KF 50SX300U V samsung 50"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Phill1978, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Saw this and even though it was running a crappy feed i was inpressed with its viewing angles as it was on a top shelf about 1 meter above my head it was still clear and not faded ? by comparsion the 50" samgung DLP set faded quite a lot vertically i also thought the stand on the samsung was totally impractical but besides that the Sony although much bulkier looking made the picture seem larger and the whole look of the unit was one of a big movie screen one to impress the lads when they visit although the sammy would impress the women i expect. i thought the sony LCD sets were meant to be rubbish.
    isn't it just the case that if you run a DVI/VGA basically the highest picture quality available into a LCD/Plasma/DLP/LCD-Rearpro Screen that they will all pretty much be a fantastic image compared with what we were seeing in the past on our 28" widescreens with scarts but at 50" because from what i've seen the prices of Plasma are really cheap and so are LCD screens.

if they all cost the same for 50" would you still have a DLP or would you choose a plasma with HD. what exaclty is wrong with the sony Sx300u ?

:confused:

2. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    can i just add i saw a LG DLP in curry`s also 46" and viewing angles were exellent which is what got me into DLP in the first instance. however 50" screens seem to push this past the point of acceptance IMO for a living room especially

3. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have ordered a 50 inch sammy after a lot of deliberation especially on the subject of viewing angles.on any kind of tv the ideal position to view is directly from the front.so who is going to worry if you can't see a perfect picture when you walk across the room? surely this question of viewing angles is becoming an uneccessary holy grail.

4. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the Sony 50SX300. But it does have very basic connectivity options, and black levels are not good because of its LCD nature.

As far as viewing angle, the LCD rearp-pro will have a slight advantage over the DLP.

The best way is to compare the Sony set against the DLPs.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I find my dlp rd65 has great viewing angles, much better than my crt philips rear pro.

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find DLP sets to have better viewing anles than LCD even the vertical viewing angle the only thing you lose is a bit of brightness the dynamic range contrast saturatution hue stay the same unlike on a LCD as they can look very washed out.

7. Burnard

Burnard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the KF 42SX300U(scaled down version of 50") and it has a fantastic picture,great colour,viewing angle and i dont have a problem with the blacks on my set.There are some down sides though.
    1 If running through Sky there is a slight lag when viewing a proggy with continuing camere angle changes.Its a bit like it runs in ntsc mode for a while then reverts to pal if you know what i mean.Its almost as though the frame rate slows for a while.This problem has been reported by various forum users.For some reason it doesnt effect DVD feeds so it must be the TV software trying to clear up the Sky picture.
    2.It doesnt have any input for up and coming high def TV so its stuck with scart input. or S-video.

8. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    good to hear your getting a good picture from your sony set. Maybe newer versions will have even greater picture to rival DLP and higher res with DVI (HDCP) from what i saw the colour detail and blacks were as good as the sammys.

on the subject of viewing angle. i understand many of you have dedicated HT rooms but i for one will be partially inserting a 46"-50" set within a modified unused chinmey breast so as to give a plasma like appearance but without the cost of a 46" plasma and also to hide cables. Sitting 0.5meters below the optimum viewing line and at maximum 45% angle side to side.. of course the sofa will face directly but visitors sitting either side must get some decent brightness and clarity.. how embarassing to watch the footy with mates. they have come around to yours instead of pub and they cant watch the game. This is the reason i favour a 46" as they seem to have to my eyes around 20% more brightness. i was comapring to 46-50 side by side and the 46" wasnt anymore detailed but certainlty had a solidity about it the 50" did not.

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    50" DLP's are just as bright as 45" they all are very bright the viewing angle is excellent to the sides & i find the vertical viewing angle on my Optoma RD50 to be pretty good watching BBC1 with a PC pci tv card i have to stand about 7 feet away to get a good picture a high definition picture you can get as close as u like but you do lose some brightness it allways stays a very good picture.

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Steve you have to see The Hunted in High def. Fantastic picture, most of the film is shot in daylight outside in the woods, so theres loads of rich detailed greens etc. The few scenes in the city are als very good.

Definately a good disc to demo for pic quality 10/10.