Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

sony 50" grand wega ??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by yamman, Apr 22, 2003.

1. yamman

yamman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,im thinking of replacing my tosh 42" pw23 for something bigger.My cinema room is 10.5 ' x 8' but is always in complete darkness so brightness/contrast should'nt be a problem.
    Can anyone recommend sony's 50"lcd wega 100/200 series or would i be better off with a 50"/56" tosh?
    I don't want to go down the front projection road and plasma's are just too expensive @ 50".
    Any advice welcome.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    My opinion is that you will get a much more pleasing, easy on the eye, image from the Grand Wega than from other RPTVs. That's because, unlike virtually(?) all others, this is an LCD projector rather than CRT. As such it is likely to have:

1: A completely flicker-free image
    2: Near-perfect geometry, free from any voltage regulation bounce
    3: Near-perfect convergence which won't drift
    4: Immunity to external magnetism

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point however LCD cons...

Poor black level
    Expensive bulb to replace
    Requires frequent cleaning of optics, more suscepticle to dust
    Extra heat due to hot bulb/posslby noise- fan?
    LCD pixel death

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Poor black level - much less an issue with newer Sony LCDs than in the past
    Replacement bulb - yes, but offset against this is complete absence of any phosphor burn - and CRTs are more expensive to replace than bulbs. The bulb life probably equates to something around 4 years' use (give or take, depending on your viewing habits) so, budget for one new bulb in 8 years, by which time you will want to upgrade again anyway
    Cleaning - my KL37W2 NEVER needed cleaning. The person to whom I sold it still hasn't cleaned it. So, it has had around 6 years' use without needing cleaning. Just make sure the filter is kept clean and undamaged.
    Heat - was never an issue on my KL37; fan noise - yes, there was some.
    LCD pixel death - an over-stressed issue. It rarely happens in use. They can be dead on arrival and this is something to watch for. But they are very unlikely to fail during use.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yamman, I would try and compare the LCD to your RPTV in your lighting conditions. I also have a Toshiba 42" CRT RPTV 42PW23P, but at the end of the day I prefer CRT colour reproduction and overall PQ over LCD.

Nigel sounds like a LCD fan, so maybe he's got the Grand Wega?

(if) LCD pixel does occur it's will be very very annoying!

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Have to agree with nigel that the Grand Wega is an excellent LCD type RPTV,but the quality is reflected in the price.
    As a very satisfied owner of a Toshiba 50WT29,I can only say that both types of Tv are well worth a look,and that the 50" Tosh is better than many of the smaller ones,with a very stable image,although when initially turned on it may look awful as all the defaults are set to look good in high ambient light(showroom!)settings.

7. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yamman
    Put it simple the Grand Wega doesn´t keep up with its looks.

If you think in buying one, thats cool:p but be sure to test it
    with your gear befure taking the plunge;)

LCD projection WILL be replaced by DLP in the near future and thats guaranteed!!
    :)

Seriously, i´ve seen recently an LG DLP projection tv (it was only
    44" so maybe thats no good for you) and it was side by side with
    the grand wega and the picture on the LG was supeior although its almost half price than the Wega.
    If you like rear projection tvs i seriously recomend that you keep an eye (or maybe 2 - thats better) on all those DLP sets that are coming out..:lesson:
    And while you´re at it why not consider a Plasma? its in the price range of the Grand Wega..
    ;)

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    FCP FAN (or should I say, DLP FAN?) is clearly sold on DLPs. IF they come out without rainbow artefacts, then maybe they'll be worth a look. Somehow, however, speaking as one who is nauseated by DLP rainbows on every DLP he's seen, I doubt it.

I don't have a Grand Wega. I used to have its forerunner, a KL37W2. Eventually I replaced it with a front projector - also an LCD device. This was done, not from any perverse loyalty but simply from preference.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal choices, which depend more on your own visual acuity than on anything else. In other words, it isn't just a matter of opinion. You can never, for example, convey to someone who is not affected the distracting nature of refresh rate flicker, or rainbows.

9. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nigel. I now inform you that i am not sold on DLP. And i do not own any DLP device. But your way of defendig LCD technology is clearly influenced by the fact that you own one of such devices, and maybe you are a little biased for that. I stated my opinion, and thats just it:lesson: . DLP is not perfect but LCD (witch is being developed for longer...) certainly is not.

As for LCD projectors and RPTVs IFthey come out with decent blacks, no pixelization and natural picture display then maybe they would prevail in the long run against DLP technology.
    I know this by direct viewing of these devices at retailers and at Sony headquarters. I know the grand wega since the first set released a couple years ago and, yes its true, the set has evolved quite a lot but in the end of the day it still remains very expensive for its merits(and by the way i´m a big fan of Sony).

As i stated my opinon on the Grand Wega, its a gorgeous set, but
    the picture suffers of all the LCD drawbacks (and even the top notch Sony front projectors suffer from this), but still it has its merits and a very big "girl seducing factor:p " that must be considered. LOL.

Cheers!:laugh:

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Like I said - if you aren't affected by refresh rate artefacts (which are exhibited by all CRT and DLP devices), then there's no way you'll ever appreciate why someone who is (like me) treats them with such importance as to prefer the 'look' of LCD (which has none).

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you can class CRT refresh similar to DLP epilitetic fit rainbows....

12. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Nope, it ain't the same thing. But I can and do see (and get annoyed by) 50hz TVs. The bigger, the worse. And we all know about 100hz TVs and their smearing.

13. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, good point nigel!:smashin:

:p