Sony 4K Upscaling Blu-ray Players and Home Theatre Systems

Discussion in 'CES Consumer Electronics Show 2013' started by hodg100, Jan 10, 2012.

1. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    Presumably designed to accompany their 4K projector, Sony have announced some 4K upscaling products to fill the gap until native Ultra HD material is readily available.

The BDP-S790 Blu-ray Disc player can upscale movies to Digital Cinema 4K resolution. Considered as ‘the next generation of High Definition’, this new format offers over four times greater resolution than current Full HD.

[​IMG]

Ben Law, Product Marketing Manager said: “The way we enjoy entertainment has changed and our new Blu-ray Disc™ Players and Home Cinema Systems for 2012 reflect this. Our new product design maximises the aesthetic appeal of the range, new speaker technology ensures all content sounds great, and video can be up-scaled to Digital Cinema 4k resolution.

“Accessing online content through the Sony Entertainment Network can be done at the touch of a button, and even low resolution video will look great on a big screen thanks to our Internet Picture Enhancer. It all helps ensure you can experience the best content, more easily, and in better quality, than ever before.”

Attached Files:

2. vism

vism

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Isn't about time they upgraded the Blu-ray spec to allow 4K, deep colour/xv colour and higher frame rates.

3. Stuart

Stuart
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    AFAIK Blu-ray doesn't have the capacity to carry any meaningful 4k content. 4K is 4 times the resolution of 1080 so unless something drastic happens with compression efficiency then you'd be lucky to fit much more than 40 minutes of 4k on a 50gb disc.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. Jon P

Jon P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Unless we start to see the multi layer discs we were assured we're coming when bluray first came out or we do get a announcement on a new delivery system.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    Have noticed hints of PS3 Slim stylings entering Sony's home cinema offerings, very sleek

6. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    There's a strong rumour of this. Eyes peeled and ears dewaxed (don't linger on the mental image), just for you Jon:D

7. TONYELISE

TONYELISE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    Yet again another tech that has never fully fullfield it's promises,i remember reading that pioneer had managed to get 300gb on a 6 layer disc.

8. IAN P

IAN P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,042

Forgive the source(daily mail), but this gives a tantalising glimpse into what's being worked on.

New Blu-Ray discs offering four times hi-def due out in 2013 | Mail Online

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I noticed that too.

So are we going to see more 4k upscaling players than 4k TVs? You just know some people will be going wow look at this!:eek:.... when they link it to their 1080p sets:laugh:
    1080p to 4k back to 1080p.:rolleyes: ....even worse, 720p games up to 4k then down to 1080.....thats if they make the PS4 4k, maybe the PS5....oo just thought we wont have a PS4 will we.

10. Dr Spoon

Dr Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Hehe. I'm looking forward to those threads :D

11. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    :laugh: indeed.

12. Jon P

Jon P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I remember 400gb on 16 layers. I'm also sure we were going to get more than 25gb on a layer although that's yet to materialise. Bring on the annoucement Mark.

13. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    The details are a little sketchy from my memory but weren't 'they' meant to be working on something called a 'holographic video disc' or whatever it was called with a storage capacity of many TBs?

Maybe i imagined it but im sure i recall something being worked on like this, would be the perfect platform for 4k video if true:thumbsup:

14. TLMONKEY

TLMONKEY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    So,
    What your saying Scooby is the new sony 4k upscaler is useless unless you have a 4k tv or projector?

15. nespresco

nespresco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

You are absolutely right, as far back as 2005 there was a 3.9TB 'Holographic versitile disc' created. The cost would have been prohibative for the home market and there was no benefit to using optical discs at an enterprise level so I guess nothing came of it. 4K video might change that.

With blu-rays requiring up to arround 45Mbs to stream, any idea what sort of bandwidth 4k would require?

16. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Actually, higher capacity discs did appear: BDXL holds 100/128gb. But, there is no delivery system for BDMV (that's Blu-ray movie discs) using BDXL - it was only ever approved for data storage and recording. Good thing too, because the discs are not backwards compatible.

I'm questioning the point, to be honest... is the plan to build poor quality scalers into 4K TVs and better ones into scaling players? No thanks - until there's a real 4K source to view, there's no point on TV-sized displays. And from what I've seen, JVC's 4K projector does a good enough job scaling on its own...

17. Jon P

Jon P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I'd agree. Any 4k product out or due out will have good scaler in them any way so rather pointless having it in the player as well, I guess its a marketing mans dream though.