Sony 4k TV displaying as 1080p in windows 10

brrbevil

Standard Member
Hello!

I'm a new member here hoping some of you knowledgeable people can help with an issue I'm having. I recently built myself a new PC and the GPU is a RTX 3090 Founders Edition, so I am wanting to start gaming in mostly 4k. I am using my TV as my gaming monitor and the issue I'm having is my TV (Sony XBR-49X830C) is displaying native 1080p in windows and is being read as a generic plug and play monitor in device manager which I can't seem to change. Now, I am able to select 3840 x 2160 resolution and go 4K (it actually lets me select all the way up to 4196 x 2160) but all these resolutions will cause things to display off the screen and I will have to resize my desktop to make everything viewable again. I'm afraid I'm just being upscaled instead of having true 4k resolutions.

Some things I have tried to fix the issue:

--Updated TV Firmware to current version

--Set my HDMI slots to "enhanced mode" (which the documentation says is needed for this particular model)

--Tried all my HDMI slots on my TV

--Bought a brand new HDMI cable rated up to 48 GBs and 8k resolutions so my HDMI cable is not the issue

--Updated my 3090 to the latest Geforce drivers

Also, when I do manually choose the 4k resolutions, after a few hours I will start to get some type of weird screen tearing issue, and it usually happens when I'm surfing the web. The best way I can describe it is when I scroll on web pages the screen looks like its "tearing" when I scroll, like the page is no longer scrolling smoothly like it should. I have to go back down to 1080p to fix the issue, then I can go back up to 4k resolutions again, until the next time this happens. It's very annoying and does happen in games sometimes as well.

Does anyone have any other ideas I could try to fix this issue? I really want to avoid dropping another 1k on a new TV if I can avoid it, as I believe this TV should be fine for what I want to do. Here are the exact specs I found for this TV from doing some research on this particular model:

-- 1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes1080p @ 120Hz Yes4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes4k @ 60Hz Yes4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes

Just like with last year's Sony TVs, 1080p @ 120Hz produces little artifacts (lines), but this shouldn't be too bothersome while gaming.Update: With the new firmware update PKG2.463.0010NAB, This TV now supports 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4. To enable this, go to Settings - External Inputs - HDMI Signal Format - Enhanced (new).

It appears according to these specs that with the latest firmware (which I have) and setting my HDMI slots to enhanced mode (which I have) I should be reading native 4k in windows. Is this incorrect?

I still think the problem might be that in windows device manager the TV just shows up as generic plug and play monitor, but I can't seem to fix this as Sony does not appear to have any drivers out there for windows 10.

Any help would be great appreciated as this is driving me crazy!

richardb70

Distinguished Member
I've seen something like this being posted before, e.g.:

It might be worth contacting Sony directly.

brrbevil

Standard Member
I've seen something like this being posted before, e.g.:

It might be worth contacting Sony directly.
Yeah I did see both of those threads, as I have been researching this issue for a few weeks now. I have tried every solution in those threads to no avail, so maybe my only option is trying to contact Sony and seeing what they can give me.

It may be an issue where this particular TV, for some reason, just won't go above 1080p as native even though according to specs it should be able to, and I may have to splurge on a new TV which is sad because I really like this TV but I definitely want to be able to game in 4k (and not just get upscaled) with this new PC.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Let us know how you get on! Sorry I can't help (not sure about others here).

next010

Distinguished Member
Yeah I did see both of those threads, as I have been researching this issue for a few weeks now. I have tried every solution in those threads to no avail, so maybe my only option is trying to contact Sony and seeing what they can give me.

It may be an issue where this particular TV, for some reason, just won't go above 1080p as native even though according to specs it should be able to, and I may have to splurge on a new TV which is sad because I really like this TV but I definitely want to be able to game in 4k (and not just get upscaled) with this new PC.
Try changing the video output from RGB to YCC422 or 420 in the Nvidia control panel under resolution, deselect use defaults.

That will drop the chroma output from 444 to 422/420 which uses less bandwidth. Maybe it will accept that at 2160p, also check the refresh rate selection see if its 59hz or 60hz.

brrbevil

Standard Member
Try changing the video output from RGB to YCC422 or 420 in the Nvidia control panel under resolution, deselect use defaults.

That will drop the chroma output from 444 to 422/420 which uses less bandwidth. Maybe it will accept that at 2160p, also check the refresh rate selection see if its 59hz or 60hz.
I appreciate the response! I just tried your suggestion, both YCC422 and 420. It' didn't seem to change anything. Native is still 1080p. I did check the refresh rate and it's 60hz with both settings you suggested and 60hz when I have to set to RGB as well.

I can choose the 3840/2160 at 60hz from the options when I change resolution, it's just not reading that as native which I think it should be doing. Native is right now 1080p and I believe I am just getting upscaled. Also, getting horrible screen flicker after having it set to 4k resolutions for awhile (usually happens a few times per day), happens when surfing the web and playing games, best way I can describe it is it's like the refresh rate is suddenly dropping and everything becomes choppy. I will have to exit out from whatever I'm doing and set the resolution back to 1080p to fix, then change it again back to 4k.

huxley

Have you tried creating a custom resolution?
1612212775178.png

Matt Horne

Are you passing the signal through a amp to the tv or direct ?

If you are going through the amp are you using the ports set for 4k 60 etc ?

brrbevil

Standard Member
Are you passing the signal through a amp to the tv or direct ?

If you are going through the amp are you using the ports set for 4k 60 etc ?
Signal is going direct from computer to TV. I do have a receiver and sound system, but I figured that this could be causing the issue and am using a direct signal until I can figure this out.

next010

Distinguished Member
Signal is going direct from computer to TV. I do have a receiver and sound system, but I figured that this could be causing the issue and am using a direct signal until I can figure this out.

Do you have anything else that outputs 4K video, at least that would tell you if its the TV or the PC.

You could try messing with the CRU but that can be complicated but perhaps it can correct something wrong in the EDID.
  • Set your desktop res to 3840x2160 60Hz
  • Run the software and on its main screen you should see a detail resolution section with the 3840x2160 60Hz res listed, select that resolution and click on edit
  • Under Timing from the menu select "Automatic HDTV"
  • Hit okay then okay again to close the software
  • Run restart (32-bit OS) or restart 64 (64-bit OS) to apply the change.

If nothing changes go into resolution section of GPU driver and select the 2160p 59hz output if thats there instead of 60Hz.

Last edited:

brrbevil

Standard Member
Have you tried creating a custom resolution?
View attachment 1452764
I haven't tried it yet because I can already select 3840 x 2160 resolution as an option, it's just not reading native so I think it possibly could just be an upscale. Is their a chance this would prompt my TV to start reading 4k as native or is change resolution just there to give you the option to select a particular resolution? Sorry for my ignorance, while I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to PCs, when it comes to TV/AV issues.....not so much.

brrbevil

Standard Member
Do you have anything else that outputs 4K video, at least that would tell you if its the TV or the PC.

You could try messing with the CRU but that can be complicated but perhaps it can correct something wrong in the EDID.
  • Set your desktop res to 3840x2160 60Hz
  • Run the software and on its main screen you should see a detail resolution section with the 3840x2160 60Hz res listed, select that resolution and click on edit
  • Under Timing from the menu select "Automatic HDTV"
  • Hot okay then okay again to close the software
  • Run restart (32-bit OS) or restart 64 (64-bit OS) to apply the change.

If nothing changes go into resolution section of GPU driver and select the 2160p 59hz output if thats there instead of 60Hz.
I do have a 4k Roku player, but I'm not sure how to check to see what type of signal is being read as native when I hook it into the TV. Also, what is CRU exactly? Is that the custom resolution option in NVIDIA control panel?

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Out of interest, what happens when you spin a game up? What choice of resolutions are you getting?

(This is if you leave the 1080p as native in the Nvidia panel).

richardb70

Distinguished Member
And can you show us a screenshot of the Nvidia control panel too please? The tab that shows something like:

1612276128923.png

brrbevil

Standard Member
Out of interest, what happens when you spin a game up? What choice of resolutions are you getting?

(This is if you leave the 1080p as native in the Nvidia panel).
The game I have installed right now I am able to go up to the same resolutions as it shows in windows, which is 4196 x 2160.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I'd also check your tv manual as some olders tv's only allow 4K on certain hdmi's in the tv. For example for 4K 120hz on my tv it needs to be in HDMI 4.

next010

Distinguished Member
I do have a 4k Roku player, but I'm not sure how to check to see what type of signal is being read as native when I hook it into the TV. Also, what is CRU exactly? Is that the custom resolution option in NVIDIA control panel?
The Roku probably has a video output selection ?

If it allows you to manually set 4K and see how that looks.

CRU = custom resolution utility used for forcing resolutions on a display it does not normally support.

The CRU includes default timings for HDTV's so that may allow it to override the stock video timings the PC is reading from the TV in case there is something going wrong, the NV control panel can do this too but I don't think it has HDTV timings in its custom section.

brrbevil

Standard Member
I found this interesting as well, when I go to windows display settings and advanced settings it reads my monitor as the following:

1612278518278.png

richardb70

Distinguished Member
If you start a game at a 4K res, does the screen flicker and accept that? Can you check on your TV to see what's being received?

richardb70

Distinguished Member
I think "Generic PnP Monitor" is fine in Device Manager.

brrbevil

Standard Member
I'd also check your tv manual as some olders tv's only allow 4K on certain hdmi's in the tv. For example for 4K 120hz on my tv it needs to be in HDMI 4.
I did think of this already, as like you said most of the TVs I have owned in the past have needed a certain HDMI port for PC. However, I have read the book thoroughly and my particular TV does not appear to differentiate when it comes to the HDMI slots, and I have tried them all regardless (with enhanced mode on for all of them).

brrbevil

Standard Member
If you start a game at a 4K res, does the screen flicker and accept that? Can you check on your TV to see what's being received?
I'm not sure what you are asking here on the 2nd part? If I start the game with my desktop resolution set at 1080p, the game will start and then immediately minimize and I won't be able to get back into it, it's very glitchy. I have to have my desktop resolution already set to 4k when I start the game to play normally.

huxley

I haven't tried it yet because I can already select 3840 x 2160 resolution as an option, it's just not reading native so I think it possibly could just be an upscale. Is their a chance this would prompt my TV to start reading 4k as native or is change resolution just there to give you the option to select a particular resolution? Sorry for my ignorance, while I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to PCs, when it comes to TV/AV issues.....not so much.
I had to make a custom setting to get 1440p to work in Cyberpunk.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Campfire Audio launches new Satsuma and Honeydew earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day 2021: 21st-22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim debuts Solstice turntable in special edition package
  • By Andy Bassett