Sony 49XG9005 or LG OLED55C9PLA

pats02

Novice Member
Reaction score
I Only watch Sky HD TV American shows - prem football highlights and occassionally BLURay Films or Netflix approx 3 hours a day.
I currently have a 32 inch HD ready tv which struggles with night scenes - hard to see what is going on.
In tv shops I thought 55 inch looked big but i was standing in front of them. I dont want square eyes! My eyes are sensitive to brightness.
I want a tv with good picture and reasonable sound although I will buy Q Acoustics M2 or Sonos beam soundbar.
I would also like a future proof tv that will support 4k - (I dont notice much difference between HD and SDR) and HDR in future years.
Are OLEDs that much better pictures and have reasonable motion e.g football matches?
I have been put off by Sony operating system plus mention of counter-intuitive settings and crap manual .
The LG OLED55C9PLA is £500 more than Sony so are they worth it ??
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks
Patrick

Wait for black friday and go for the OLED, which is more suited if you want to be both futureproof and notice more detail closer to black.

Motion is subjective, Sony often get praised for their motion but you are probably comparing 4/5 to 5/5. You'd need to own each TV to compare.

Sony's operating system is its biggest downside, I also wouldn't consider a 49" TV in the UHD era. The Sony XF9005, XF9505 or Samsung Q70R would be the alternative buy to OLEDs at 55".

Also, you don't need to really go for the LG C9, its not much better than the cheaper B9 but with an updated image processor.

Your usage seems very mixed, so it sounds like you won't have to worry about burn in, but I would first read: OLED Burn In Risk to draw your own conclusions.

Lastly I wouldn't buy now. Wait for potential Black Friday deals, you may find one TV gets a good discount whilst another doesn't and will get more for your money.

The LG B8 (predecessor to the B9) before stock was running low was selling for less than £1000 not so long ago, and around £1300 at Black Friday last year. Hopefully we see similar kind of discounts this year, pushing the B9 lower.

Sound-wise on TVs you need to step up again in price to go for the more "premium" OLEDs. They have the same picture quality as the cheaper ones but come with designated soundbars or speakers. The sound on TVs like the B9 or C9 or even the XF9005 will be poor, but fine for news/TV watching. You need to expand on that if you want to enjoy TV series and movies more with a soundbar.

If you do want to pay extra for better built in sound look for an OLED like the LG E8 (2018), LG E9 (2019), one of Sony's OLEDs or the more expensive OLEDs from Panasonic.

Last years Panasonic FZ952/LG E8 if available have a designated soundbars/speakers bolted on and may be discounted if you can still find any. This years FZ1000 is the first model that comes with decent built in sound. On the Sony front you'll find a better price for last years models like the AF8 or AF9 than you will for the newer AG8 and AG9.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom