Sony 49XG9005 Needing To Be Replaced After 2 Months ?

Dtsman59

Novice Member
I purchased during Lockdown a Sony Bravia 49XG9005 on 16th June from John Lewis online on 18th August it stopped working below are the Timelines in getting a replacement set from Sony UK.

Below is a timeline of my actions between myself and John Lewis Techincal Customer sevices based in Exeter.

Week 1
August 18 AM : Reported Television fault with John Lewis Technical Team they issued me with Job No 2365302 and informed that I will be getting a call from Smart Service Solutions for Engineer to visit on Wednesday 19th

August 18 PM : Phone call from Smart Service to inform that an appoint with their engineer to review the television was now on Friday 21st in the afternoon.

August 21st PM : Engineer from Smart Solutions arrived around 2pm I explained what was wrong he switched Television on the reported fault of No Picture was confirmed, he informed that I would need for my 2 month old Television need replacing

He was with me a total of 20 minutes.

Week 2
August 26th PM : on the advice of the Smart Solution engineer I rang there office for an update on the Replacement television from Sony they had no update to give me.

August 28th AM : I rang the John Lewis Technical Team after 20 minutes on hold I got to speak to an agent who put me on hold so they could get an update from Smart Solutions during that time I was disconnected.

I rang back at 08.53 I was then on hold for around 25 minutes when connected to an agent I gave them my details they put me on hold once more to get an update from Smart Solutions.
Your Technical agent informed that Sony had sourced a replacement model and would be with Smart Solutions after the August Bank Holiday.

Week 3
September 2nd AM I contacted the JL Technical team for an update because I had not been contacted by any party on when I was to receive my replacement television , after various breaks from the conversation due to being put on hold I was informed that I would be contacted by someone from JL Technical team to update.

September 4th PM : I had not been contacted so I rang when connected to a JL Technical agent they put me on hold they had spoken to someone who said the television would be with Smart Solutions on or around 8th September.

Week 4
September 10th AM : No contact had been made by Smart Solutions to arrange delivery of my replacement television.

September 10th PM : I once more contacted JL Technical team for an update during the conversation I was informed that Smart Solutions had only ordered my replacement television from Sony on 2nd September and not as previously was told by a JL on the update of the 28th August that television was on its way to Smart Solutions.

The JL Technical informed that I was to contact Smart Solutions going forward for updates as it was not a John Lewis issue as the television was only two months therefore under the manufacturer’s warranty they took responsibility to deal with my case.

Week 5
September 15th: Contacted by Smart Solutions replacement television to be with me on 21st September

Week 6:
September 21st replacement TV installed.

Thank you for taking the time to read and looking forward to your feedback.

Attachments

Palexr

Did you take it any further? Make a complaint, ask them to outline what their SLA are and they compare to the service you received?

Dtsman59

Novice Member
Morning , yes i am taking it further i have written to the Head of JL Customers service so far no reply.

antani1971

This is far from acceptable. I experienced a similar situation with my 55XG9505 here in Italy, it took longer to analyze the issue (1 week) but 10 days to get the replacement afterwards, still a bit long but about half the time you experienced. I will have it delivered tomorrow.

Dtsman59

Novice Member
Thank you for replying, You have the 2020 version.I guess my question to everyone is to a complain about the poor customer service to the retailer or Sony?

antani1971

Thank you for replying, You have the 2020 version.I guess my question to everyone is to a complain about the poor customer service to the retailer or Sony?
I would complain to Sony, they seem (at least, here) interested in feedback. I don't think the retailer can help. However I agree with LCDseeker, you should raise a claim asking for something, otherwise you will get a 'so sorry' statement and nothing will change.

Dtsman59

Novice Member
What are you hoping to achieve by the complaint?
I would like to raise awareness with John Lewis regarding the policy of the 1 Year manufactures’ guarantee and that my television was not there responsibility but that of SONY , but if this had happened after the first year , then JL would have managed and in my case replaced my television immediately and not the 5 weeks i had to wait for from SONY.

Palexr

JLmay have fobbed you off there. There is no Short Term liability on the part of the mfr before the Consumer Rights Act kicks in. You bought the item from the shop and your contract is with the shop. You do not have a contract with the manufacturer. The shop has the legal liability to fix the item.

If the item is faulty then you will have your legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 against the retailer. You may also have a separate warranty direct with the manufacturer – and if you pay extra to the retailer for an ‘extended warranty’ you may also have another set of rights against the retailer or third party insurer.

Last edited:

LCDseeker

I would like to raise awareness with John Lewis regarding the policy of the 1 Year manufactures’ guarantee and that my television was not there responsibility but that of SONY , but if this had happened after the first year , then JL would have managed and in my case replaced my television immediately and not the 5 weeks i had to wait for from SONY.
I'm not sure how this would constitue a complaint as this is common place and detailed in the small print when you buy a new television. In fact most Sony televisions come with a 5 year warranty direct with Sony. For example Richer sounds provide a 6 year warranty but the first five years is with Sony and the last with them. My understanding with JL is they just act as the go between so in all likelihood you would still have been waiting for an engineer, replacement etc. Sounds like your complaint is about the length of time taken to sort this out? In which case contact Sony but I can't see what more they can do other than apologise for the time taken.

Palexr

Again, and not to labour a point, the liability for sorting this out is with JL, not Sony.

The Sale of Goods Act makes reference to ‘the seller’, this is the shop, the retailer, or the individual you bought it from, and is who you made the contract with. It is not the manufacturer, and don’t let the shop tell you otherwise! If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse, your first port of call must be the shop you bought it from. They have the responsibility to put the matter right, and should not evade this responsibility by referring you to the manufacturer in the context of a guarantee or warranty. Even after this 6 month period, if the item breaks down prematurely , you should always go back to the shop or retailer in the first instance.

Your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act take precedence over and above any warranty or guarantee you may have with either the retailer or manufacturer. It is misleading for a shop to tell you they can do nothing simply because their warranty or guarantee has run out, because you will still have your statutory rights.

The idea behind this is that natural selection will ensure retailers will put pressure on their suppliers in a sort of Darwinian survival of the fittest. ie if a certain manufacturer causes them lots of grief through complaints they will ultimately drop themand switch to another.

Anyways, your compalint should be aimed at JL. Reading through your timeline above it is clear they, or their agent, failed to keep in contact with you or updated.

Last edited:

StevenUK

Wow, I would have kicked off royally if this had been me. 6 weeks to wait, and being messed about like that. That's enough to put you off John Lewis for life.

I have been in business for over 20+ years, and no way would I treat a customer like that; it just shows you, that these large companies just play the numbers game regarding their customers, and a quick look at recent John Lewis reviews shows they have fallen sharply from the reputation they once had - My recent experience with them also confirms this when trying to wriggle out of distance selling regulations.

Strangely enough, I was looking at another TV with them this morning, and your post definitely makes me think twice, because as a purchaser, you want the line of least resistance if problems occur.

LCDseeker

Wow, I would have kicked off royally if this had been me. 6 weeks to wait, and being messed about like that. That's enough to put you off John Lewis for life.

I have been in business for over 20+ years, and no way would I treat a customer like that; it just shows you, that these large companies just play the numbers game regarding their customers, and a quick look at recent John Lewis reviews shows they have fallen sharply from the reputation they once had - My recent experience with them also confirms this when trying to wriggle out of distance selling regulations.

Strangely enough, I was looking at another TV with them this morning, and your post definitely makes me think twice, because as a purchaser, you want the line of least resistance if problems occur.
Richer Sounds every day of the week. What are you looking at?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom