• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony 49xg81 or Phillips 7304

rdawson

Standard Member
I'm after a set for the bedroom so not wanting to spend much. Will be used for Netflix, catch up and Disney plus.

Will add a soundbar so sound is important but not overly.

Narrowed it down to the Sony 49xg81 or the Phillips 7304 as they both come with Android TV (which I seem to be one of the few people that actually like it!)

I've got a Sony 55xf90 in the front room so I'm happy with the motion handling and colour reproduction on the Sony but it's getting hard to find last year's sets and I'm not paying the price of this year's.

Is the Phillips comparable? What's their track record on updating the operating system?

Dodgexander

If I was to view the TV only directly in front, and not at an angle for a bedroom TV with Android I'd be looking at TCL models instead since they for sure will use VA type panels.

I presume this because as a bedroom TV you will want to use the TV in dark conditions and if you do, you'll get better picture quality from a TV using a VA panel than IPS.

For sale on Amazon for £300: TCL 50EP658

As for the overall quality of TVs this size, be that the TCL, Sony, or Philips they are more or less all bottom of the barrel TVs. Motion won't be as good as your Sony XF9005 and because they also have no local dimming and low peak brightness both screen uniformity and HDR won't be as good.
With that in mind, if you find the right deal you could up practically the same TV in the 49XG9005 as a refurb for a cheap price. See here:

EDIT* Philips models using 49" panels are likely IPS. 50" models VA. If you find a Philips Android TV with 50" it should also be better for picture quality like the TCL. It will however probably cost quite a bit more.

rdawson

Standard Member
If I was to view the TV only directly in front, and not at an angle for a bedroom TV with Android I'd be looking at TCL models instead since they for sure will use VA type panels.

I presume this because as a bedroom TV you will want to use the TV in dark conditions and if you do, you'll get better picture quality from a TV using a VA panel than IPS.

For sale on Amazon for £300: TCL 50EP658

As for the overall quality of TVs this size, be that the TCL, Sony, or Philips they are more or less all bottom of the barrel TVs. Motion won't be as good as your Sony XF9005 and because they also have no local dimming and low peak brightness both screen uniformity and HDR won't be as good.
With that in mind, if you find the right deal you could up practically the same TV in the 49XG9005 as a refurb for a cheap price. See here:

EDIT* Philips models using 49" panels are likely IPS. 50" models VA. If you find a Philips Android TV with 50" it should also be better for picture quality like the TCL. It will however probably cost quite a bit more.

Thanks for the reply

Totally appreciate the xg81 won't be on the same level as my xf90 but I feel like I know what to expect from one of their sets.

The Phillips I'm looking at is this one

Amazon product

50" so should be VA right?

I've just never had a Philips set so don't know what the build quality is like, ongoing support etc.

For example I find all Samsung sets to over saturate colour so I wouldn't go for one. I've just no idea with Phillips

Dodgexander

Amazon links are broken right now so I can't see the model. However if its a 50" it is for certain VA.

Philips models are okay and there 50" ones are decent TVs. Picture processing is similar to Sony, with an emphasis on motion processing. Colour accuracy I'm not so sure about, can only know that if someone reviewed that exact TV.

If I were you I'd buy the TCL, you aren't gonna get more TV for the money by spending more on what is effectively still a budget model. That is unless the Philips you found is £300.

rdawson

Standard Member
Amazon links are broken right now so I can't see the model. However if its a 50" it is for certain VA.

Philips models are okay and there 50" ones are decent TVs. Picture processing is similar to Sony, with an emphasis on motion processing. Colour accuracy I'm not so sure about, can only know that if someone reviewed that exact TV.

If I were you I'd buy the TCL, you aren't gonna get more TV for the money by spending more on what is effectively still a budget model. That is unless the Philips you found is £300.

Phillips is £430 and comes with ambilight (ooooohhh)

Dodgexander

Yeah that's too expensive for me. You aren't going to get a better overall TV than the TCL and will pay another £130.

Not sure how much you've read on this forum section before, or my best buy guides but you'll seem I'm pretty vocal when it comes to buying a budget TV. It can look like spending more money will get you a better TV but that really isn't the case. You are best spending as little as possible.

If however you were to consider mid range models, now that is when you get a nice jump in quality.

Such as this Sony: SONY BRAVIA KD-49XG8305BU 49" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Google Assistant

By going with a mid range model you'll get better picture processing, faster smart TV and a 120hz panel, so motion will be similar on this model to your XF90.

EDIT* I've also seen them as refurbs here: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

Not sure if Sony are still selling that exact model new, but probably the new XH9196 is the model that replaces it.

rdawson

Standard Member
Yeah that's too expensive for me. You aren't going to get a better overall TV than the TCL and will pay another £130.

Not sure how much you've read on this forum section before, or my best buy guides but you'll seem I'm pretty vocal when it comes to buying a budget TV. It can look like spending more money will get you a better TV but that really isn't the case. You are best spending as little as possible.

If however you were to consider mid range models, now that is when you get a nice jump in quality.

Such as this Sony: SONY BRAVIA KD-49XG8305BU 49" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Google Assistant

By going with a mid range model you'll get better picture processing, faster smart TV and a 120hz panel, so motion will be similar on this model to your XF90.

EDIT* I've also seen them as refurbs here: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

Not sure if Sony are still selling that exact model new, but probably the new XH9196 is the model that replaces it.

Thank you for your replies and insights. Not sure I can justify the xg83 although it's the one I would prefer.

I do like the idea of ambilight and I believe the Phillips is supposed to be midrange. I've not heard much about TCL so bit of reading to do

Dodgexander

I believe the Phillips is supposed to be midrange
This is what Philips want you to believe! Its certainly not a mid range TV due to the lack of a 120hz panel. Its just a budget end TV, which is why there's little reason to spend more money.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom