Question Sony 49XE7073 with Fire TV not HDCP 2.2?

wezza13

Standard Member
Hi all,

Will try to explain this as best I can, bear with me lol. Grateful for any help :)

Here goes :

TV : Sony Bravia 49XE7073 4K HDR
Amazon Fire TV : 2nd Generation
Amp : Onkyo TX-SR333

Thought I would be able to plug my Fire TV into an input of the receiver and then from the receiver into the TV for 4k, Dolby Digital/ DTS, etc. But I'm not sure if my amp supports HDCP 2.2?

Because it's not working as it should/as I hoped, I have had to plug my fire tv into HDMI 1 or 2 and then gone from the amp to the TV's HDMI 3, which is the ARC HDMI port. This gives me the proper(?) configuration for 4K and Dolby/DTS sound. But, I watch lots of Youtube on the Silk Browser app on the Fire TV. Even though it says "4K" on the video, the TV is saying it's only 1080p (on the info bar at the top). The only way I seem to be able to watch Youtube in 4K is by using the YT app on the actual TV. I only have one ethernet cable though, which is permanently in the Fire TV. So the playback is stuttery unless I pick a lower source like 1080p.

The reason I think my amp doesn't support HDCP 2.2, as per my initial sentence, is because I get this picture up, when going into the amp from the fire tv then from the amp's output into an HDMI on the tv :

IMG_2411 by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

This is what it shows when I have the Fire TV directly into the TV :

IMG_2410 by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

As you can see, there is no warning about the HDCP 2.2.

I tried enabling the HDMI 2 and 3 ports to Enhanced to see if that made a difference but it didn't :

IMG_2412 by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

And this is what it says on my amp's box :

IMG_2413 by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Is it simply that the amp doesn't support HDCP 2.2?

Many thanks,
Wez

P.S. The main reason that I also ask this is that, on my mates fire tv and 4k sony tv, on the fire tv menu you get 3840x2160 as an option to select, whereas mine only has the 1080p options. Obviously has the "up to 4k" option too, but wonder why I am missing the 3840x2160 on mine?

Thanks again.

wezza13

Standard Member
I discovered last night, with it being set-up the way it is i.e. using the ARC socket for sound to the amp, that using Firefox app on the Fire TV allows me to watch the videos on YT in 4k. It doesn't recognise the HDR like the TV's own YT app does, but it's a lot better that I can use Firefox instead of Silk browser.

Still would like to know though if the receiver needs updating (as I plan to go Dolby Atmos 7.1 this year).

andy1249

Distinguished Member
The SR333 is one of the many early 4K devices circa 2014/15 that jumped the gun on the UHD spec and is not HDCP 2.2 compatible.

You,ll have to replace it if you want to play HDCP 2.2 protected UHD content without downscaling.

wezza13

Standard Member
The SR333 is one of the many early 4K devices circa 2014/15 that jumped the gun on the UHD spec and is not HDCP 2.2 compatible.

You,ll have to replace it if you want to play HDCP 2.2 protected UHD content without downscaling.
Thank you Andy, much appreciated.

I've been looking at getting a Yamaha Atmos receiver, so think that'll be my next move.

Thanks,
Wez

Stephen Neal

The other option is to use HDCP 2.2<->HDCP 1.4 converters (though you need to check that they support the right bandwidths for the HDMI standard you want to carry). HDFury make a number of them for this precise situation - but there are cheaper options advertised on Amazon and/or eBay, including some designed to split HDMI feeds.

It could also - I guess - be that your amp only supports 4096x2160/24p (one of the early, little-used, 4K standards) rather than also supporting the widespread UHD standard of 3840x2160/24-60p. 4096=4K, 3840=UHD - but confusingly is often called '4K' too...

(Also some very early '4K' amps don't actually pass 4K at all - they just upscale and output an upscaled 4K image - and only at 30Hz and below. Our previous Onkyo NR616 was like this)

wezza13

Standard Member
The other option is to use HDCP 2.2<->HDCP 1.4 converters (though you need to check that they support the right bandwidths for the HDMI standard you want to carry). HDFury make a number of them for this precise situation - but there are cheaper options advertised on Amazon and/or eBay, including some designed to split HDMI feeds.

It could also - I guess - be that your amp only supports 4096x2160/24p (one of the early, little-used, 4K standards) rather than also supporting the widespread UHD standard of 3840x2160/24-60p. 4096=4K, 3840=UHD - but confusingly is often called '4K' too...

(Also some very early '4K' amps don't actually pass 4K at all - they just upscale and output an upscaled 4K image - and only at 30Hz and below. Our previous Onkyo NR616 was like this)
Thank you Stephen, that seems to explain why the amp is doing what it's doing.

Will upgrade my amp before long :)

Trending threads

Top Bottom