Sony 49 inch x8500b

ekay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am being offered a reasonable price on this TV but I can't seem to find a lot on it.

I watch a fair few TV series (Game of Thrones etc) and a lot of Sport (Football, Cricket on Sky HD).

I am finally moving to a bigger place and looking at treating myself to a decent screen within a budget of £1000.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Strange that Sony have that model number on the UK site and might explain why your not finding much. Everyone including me is using the 8505 model numbers in the UK. Its the same TV essentially. No reviews as yet as they have not arrived into stock, due within a couple of weeks. It promises a lot but only time will tell.

Strange that Sony have that model number on the UK site and might explain why your not finding much. Everyone including me is using the 8505 model numbers in the UK. Its the same TV essentially. No reviews as yet as they have not arrived into stock, due within a couple of weeks. It promises a lot but only time will tell.

Thanks for letting me know!

I'm getting a price of just below £900. does that sound good?

This TV sounds appealing to me too however here are my reservations

1. There is quite a possibility this could be an LG Ips Panel as LG has a 49 inch 4k tv as well and it's passive 3d. Hdtvtest described the tv as a dire effort. Black levels were incredibly poor.

LG 49UB850V (UB850V/ UB8500) Review

We'll only know when reviews come through

2. MotionFlow 200
Just like Samsungs Hu6900, BLB is only at 200 which is lower than on any tv which isn't low end, and when coupled with 4k and 49" + sizes, detail disappears in medium motion. See Hdtvtest's hu6900 review.

3. Frame dimming rather than local dimming

4. For everyone else, the Samsung HU7500 isn't much more expensive with a better smart TV system with evolution kit potential, a satellite tuner with HEVC (unconfirmed with Sony) and many other reasons.

We can only wait for reviews. If you don't mind me asking where are you able to get a price of £900? I am interested too

This TV sounds appealing to me too however here are my reservations

1. There is quite a possibility this could be an LG Ips Panel as LG has a 49 inch 4k tv as well and it's passive 3d. Hdtvtest described the tv as a dire effort. Black levels were incredibly poor.

LG 49UB850V (UB850V/ UB8500) Review

We'll only know when reviews come through

2. MotionFlow 200
Just like Samsungs Hu6900, BLB is only at 200 which is lower than on any tv which isn't low end, and when coupled with 4k and 49" + sizes, detail disappears in medium motion. See Hdtvtest's hu6900 review.

3. Frame dimming rather than local dimming

4. For everyone else, the Samsung HU7500 isn't much more expensive with a better smart TV system with evolution kit potential, a satellite tuner with HEVC (unconfirmed with Sony) and many other reasons.

We can only wait for reviews. If you don't mind me asking where are you able to get a price of £900? I am interested too

Thanks for the reply...it seems a good idea to wait for a review it seems.

A friend of a friend works at a retail outlet who is able to sort the price out for me. Although not sure what it will retail at?

Here are the official prices
Sony
The 49 and 55 inch versions aren't much cheaper than the samsung hu7500 but the 65inch is
In the US however sony have already discounted the 55,65 and 70 inch by $500
the 55 went from $3000 to $2500 so I think it's likely sony will also discount here.
Keep me updated on if you do jump ship but I'd definitely recommend waiting as long as your friend can

My 2 cents on what 4k looks like on a 49 inch tv
I was the curry's the other day and they had the 49 inch LG, in their bright lighting showroom conditions, you don't notice the poor black levels mentioned in the reviews.

At a distance if 6 feet, the detail is very high, definitely better than 1080p. I would recommend you don't intend to sit further than 8 feet. Since this screen is more dense than a 55 incher the picture looked more crisp but 55 and 58 inch screens are more relaxing and epic to watch, you're not focusing as much.

Glad I came across this thread, after months of waiting for the X8500b and reading the latest review on the new X9000b I was *this* close to clicking 'Add to Basket'. I'm planning on buying a 65" 4K TV, however it will need to be a Sony since it's the only 4K TV range just now that is capable of providing low enough input lag for video games.

The X9000b seems to be the TV of the moment, but due to the sheer size of the frame (with those speakers stuck on the sides) the 65" will be too big for the space I have available. The X8500b was the ideal solution for me, and I guess I assumed it would be the same LCD panel that is in the X9000b, just with a different frame. Glad I saw this and now know differently, especially after reading the LG review (if it is the same panel) and the Samsungs are out of the question due to the high lag times.

Hopefully a review surfaces soon, or maybe the 65" panel is a different make from the 49" and is a better screen overall. Might just have to see if I can work the X9000b into the space I have, or maybe I'll just save £2000 and get a Full HD TV...

Glad I came across this thread, after months of waiting for the X8500b and reading the latest review on the new X9000b I was *this* close to clicking 'Add to Basket'. I'm planning on buying a 65" 4K TV, however it will need to be a Sony since it's the only 4K TV range just now that is capable of providing low enough input lag for video games.

The X9000b seems to be the TV of the moment, but due to the sheer size of the frame (with those speakers stuck on the sides) the 65" will be too big for the space I have available. The X8500b was the ideal solution for me, and I guess I assumed it would be the same LCD panel that is in the X9000b, just with a different frame. Glad I saw this and now know differently, especially after reading the LG review (if it is the same panel) and the Samsungs are out of the question due to the high lag times.

Hopefully a review surfaces soon, or maybe the 65" panel is a different make from the 49" and is a better screen overall. Might just have to see if I can work the X9000b into the space I have, or maybe I'll just save £2000 and get a Full HD TV...

If you want my advice, for gaming, few pc's have enough horse power for 4k and consoles are out the question, save yourself the money, 1080p tvs have lower input lag especially Sony ones. Unless you're going to be watching native 4k content which is still relatively rare, save yourself the difference and in years ahead you could buy a new one.

I have only seen the 55 inch which I am very sure is ips as when I looked up close the pixels are chevron shaped, the 65 is also passive 3d, on the avs forum members indicate that is also ips, the 70 with active 3d is apparently va and stunning, but I don't think its for sale and europe, plus motion might be limited.

I agree with you regarding if I wanted a TV solely for gaming, I would go full HD (keeping my older Sony 46" TV to use solely for games up the stairs) however this TV I buy - whether it be Sony or not - will be mainly used for movies/TV viewing. I'm gaming a lot less now than I used to, and my Blu ray collection is growing all the time (I have terrible internet so streaming is out of the question for me) but I still like to play games with friends or story filled games in the comfort of my living room, ideally on my brand new 65" TV. If it became a major issue regarding lag time issues then I could easily go play in a different room on a TV I know plays well, that just not the point of buying a new TV though.

I have read the latest X9000b produces lag times similar to LED TVs for a few years ago - probably comparable to what I currently have - so I was hoping the X85 would match this. If the X85 uses IPA panels then what does the X9000b use?

I agree with you regarding if I wanted a TV solely for gaming, I would go full HD (keeping my older Sony 46" TV to use solely for games up the stairs) however this TV I buy - whether it be Sony or not - will be mainly used for movies/TV viewing. I'm gaming a lot less now than I used to, and my Blu ray collection is growing all the time (I have terrible internet so streaming is out of the question for me) but I still like to play games with friends or story filled games in the comfort of my living room, ideally on my brand new 65" TV. If it became a major issue regarding lag time issues then I could easily go play in a different room on a TV I know plays well, that just not the point of buying a new TV though.

I have read the latest X9000b produces lag times similar to LED TVs for a few years ago - probably comparable to what I currently have - so I was hoping the X85 would match this. If the X85 uses IPA panels then what does the X9000b use?

If you're solely intending on watching tv/movies and your internet connection is poor which has the only sources of 4k content netflix and youtube, you're not going to see any benefit to a 4k tv, upscaling makes barely any difference, it may even soften the picture. Perhaps the only difference is the pixel structure may be less visible, especially on a va screen.

The x9005b uses a va panel, they have better black level and contrast but poorer viewing angles.
Samsung make some 65inch 1080p tv's with low input lag especially with the new firmware.
Unless you're a 4k enthusiast like me where I download gigabytes of 4k sample clips off the internet and constantly search youtube for new content, you're spending a huge premium on something you don't need.

Maybe not right now, but I'll be getting back to much faster internet speeds hopefully by the end of the year or into Q1 next year. I don't want to go out and buy a large 65" 1080p TV now, and in a years time want to upgrade to a 4K TV. It's a waste of money that I won't get back when I go to upgrade, and it's not like I can just move a 65" TV into another room. Originally I was going to just buy a new 40" TV to replace the broken one up the stairs, but then why do that when I can upgrade my main TV to something that will hopefully last me another 4 years (as my current one has done)

I know technology moves on all the time, and it certainly is a decision between being patient and waiting until the next range of TVs is released, or biting the bullet and going for one that is on the market. For me, I want to make sure I'm spending my money on something that is the latest tech, but will also last for at least a few years.

You are correct though, I'm not sure what benefit I will actually see in the short term so it really is a big decision on what I want to spend my money on.

Hi guys,

giving this a bump....has anyone used or seen a review for the 49inch yet?

I saw the 55 inch in Currys on the weekend, and to my untrained eye, it looked pretty incredible. The only issue is I fear that the 55inch might be a touch too big for my living room.

thanks in advanced.

Not seen any reviews but in the owners thread someone has the 49" in their home.

I have seen the 49" in both the Sony centre and John Lewis and they looked amazing, even more so than the 55" and 65" is saw beside it.

I have installed two 55" in customer houses and they looked fantastic. I never managed to get my 49" on the wall yet as a customer had to take precedent. No reviews so far but the US version has been awarded "Honoree" in the Video Displays catagory at the CES Innovations Awards 2014.

I have installed two 55" in customer houses and they looked fantastic. I never managed to get my 49" on the wall yet as a customer had to take precedent. No reviews so far but the US version has been awarded "Honoree" in the Video Displays catagory at the CES Innovations Awards 2014.

Ah Brilliant...

Don't suppose you can suggest a wall bracket for the 49inch can you?
Got an install scheduled for next couple of weeks, so need to get my cabling arranged too....HDMI, Power...anything else? My router is nowhere near my TV so an ethernet cable maybe tough.
I am getting an amp too, into which SKY etc will be fed into.

Cheers,
Sukh.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom