Question Sony 49 9005 and DV plans

GavinC

Novice Member
was literally about to buy this (70% virgin TiVo sd, hd, mix between kids, general and by nonuhd sport). Remaining 30% split on Netflix and standard blu Ray - viewing from 6/7 ft

However the Sony 9005 looks like it won’t get Dolby Visio support as it may start with 93 series (but 55 ‘’) in Q1 updates

Does anyone know if 9005 will get DV?
Is DV essential as plan to keep 6 years?
Any other 50’’ TVs that have DV support?
Thanks
 

Bastille

Active Member
The Sony XE900E will definitely not be getting DV.

However if this is important to you, the specs for the 2018 900F have leaked and confirm X1 Extreme processor and Dolby Vision support.

Should be released Feb/March time. I’d say worth waiting for if you plan to keep your new TV for 5 years plus.
 

Dodgexander

Moderator
Is DV essential as plan to keep 6 years?
Not really, depends how much you want to play back dolby vision titles in that time. HDR 10 will work fine when DV isn't available.

Any other 50’’ TVs that have DV support?
No.

Should be released Feb/March time. I’d say worth waiting for if you plan to keep your new TV for 5 years plus.
Great info, do you know if the TV will also be available in 49"? I won't be surprised at all if its 55"+ next year just to be difficult.
 

Bastille

Active Member
Great info, do you know if the TV will also be available in 49"? I won't be surprised at all if its 55"+ next year just to be difficult.
49-85”

Arguable how important DV actually is, but if the OP is going to keep the set for 5 yrs+ then DV, better upscaling + higher peak brightness surely worth a few months extra wait.
 

Dodgexander

Moderator
Its always worth waiting but its also a consideration that you are almost always better off buying TVs a year behind. The new 900 series is going to be a lot more expensive on release compared to the current model. I would gamble the 49XE9005 will be as low as £800 just before or after the new model is released and I bet the new model is at least £1300.

I don't personally think upscaling is noticeably better with the better "chip", its marketing speak for the software they run on the same SoC's on the higher end TVs this year.

So really, if the OP wants value, it may well be a case of waiting until the spring clearance sales and grabbing the XE93 at 55" which may well be cheaper than the new 2018 XF90 range by then.

Or even better, go OLED.
 

GavinC

Novice Member
Dodgexander (and Bastille)
Thanks (both) for the feedback. Amazed how much you help out all, likely reanswering the same questions from us all.

My main concern was if hd10 and HLG would always be enough to allow for the formats...or if some broadcasts would be DV only. Sounds like DV is complimentary, rather than necessity (unless true av guru and with good eye site - I probably wouldn’t notice!)
Would love to wait for the next model - but then prices would be higher until q4 2018 and likely new tech to consider for 2019. Also need 1 now.
Likely go for the Sony 9005- looks like a good tv and fits most of my needs
Cheers all
 

Dodgexander

Moderator
Dolby Vision isn't a necessity at all and its easy to think that at its current price the XE90 is a high end TV. Its not, its an entry HDR model and compromises do have to be made somewhere.

Dolby Vision is also a format that isn't going to have anything to do with terrestrial broadcast TV, that is HLG..so you don't have to worry about that really.

There is no such thing of future proofing thats for sure, whilst those getting the XE93 instead may be able to enjoy DV content in the future that DV content is also going to be available in HDR and by the time the DV support is worth anything (if it ever is) then the TV will be a few years behind the times in other respects anyway.
 

Trending threads

Top Bottom