Sony 46w5500 or Samsung LED 46B6000 Help :(

Jay112

Standard Member
Hi Guys:)

Im New to this site and was told by a friend that you could help me with my dilemma. Well, I have been wanting to purchase a tv for around a year, my 1st choice was a Sony W4500, after reading many clouding issues this put me off. Now I have my eyes set on the W5500 but my partner like the looks of the Samsung LED which i do admit looks much better then the Sony. This has been nagging away in my mind for so long and dont want to miss out on the sales again :thumbsdow

What would you guys pick between them? I want a TV I can play games on but more for viewing and watching movies. I dont want to go for something that just looks pretty if the picture doesnt look as good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou

Jay112

Standard Member
Thing is i have been in sony centre they say the Samsung LED is a fraud and that their X4500 was has real LED technology. Went in Currys the sales guy said that the SAmsung LED is much better thean the Sony's W5500. So Im stuck?

Can anyone share any input please? I have read through numerous threads but my questions still remain:(

Thankyou

ChrisGgr

the B6000 uses EDGE LED technology for its backlight source,while the X4500,the best lcd tv in the market uses the ultimate direct RGB LED backlight with local dimming.So yes,the way samsung built the B6000 it offers nothing more than W5500 other than slim design

giangdarookie2

Novice Member
the B6000 uses EDGE LED technology for its backlight source,while the X4500,the best lcd tv in the market uses the ultimate direct RGB LED backlight with local dimming.So yes,the way samsung built the B6000 it offers nothing more than W5500 other than slim design
The B6000 does have better black level than the W5500!

Both are good TV, i would lean towards the W5500, as it has more feature and better proccesing engine.

the difference in black level is not major IMO. W5500 still produce very good black.

ChrisGgr

samsung instead of taking advantage of LED backlight though,incorporated dimming fluctuations and even like that,black level is absolutely equal to W5500 not better

Thing is i have been in sony centre they say the Samsung LED is a fraud and that their X4500 was has real LED technology. Went in Currys the sales guy said that the SAmsung LED is much better thean the Sony's W5500. So Im stuck?

Can anyone share any input please? I have read through numerous threads but my questions still remain:(

Thankyou
The X4500 is the real deal but it hella expensive ;) ...I have both a samsung B6000 & a Sony V5500 & I have to say that I like the Sony more, the auto-dimming function on the Samsung is quite annoying (although it does create good black levels but at the expense of colour). If you have a bright room then the Samsung is the best choice, in this environment the auto-dimming is a non-issue and both colour & black are very good indeed. If you have a darker room or watch mainy at night then the W5500 will be best for you, very good scaling/motion handling (something the B6000 is only average at) & pin sharp HD pictures (the B6000 is also good in this respect) BUT it has very good black & colour accuracy in darkened environment :)! Other things I have noticed, the speakers on the Samsung are rubbish but I do like the styling alot over the Sony, its a damn sexy TV :D. I got good prices on both from this price comparison site:

Mod Comment: price comparison site link removed

Got around £50 off each with voucher codes & find it to be pretty upto date for pricing info. Hope that helps you out mate.
Cheers,
Jiff

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay112

Standard Member
Thankyou guys for your responses

So picture quality is more or less the same its just down to the looks, may go for the w5500:)

Just hoping i dont get the clouding issues.

Jay112

Standard Member
LED auto-dimming??

Heard alot of complaints about this? what is it actually and how does it bither people?

vickster

Distinguished Member
I believe that if you are watching the TV in dull or dim conditions or if the light changes due to the sun going behind a cloud etc, the brightness of the screen dims automatically

Can see how that could be irritating!

A

Alan D

Actually, I believe the auto-dimming is much more than that, and will dim the picture when onscreen content becomes quite dark, regardless of what lighting you have in the room.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom