Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony 44 px2 - red "patches" on screen?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by yakko, Feb 28, 2003.

1. yakko

yakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this set a few weeks. On the whole I really like it. Ok the picture is a tad soft , and I think NTSC scan lines jump out at you, but nothing's perfect.
    Anyway I don't often watch the set late at night but I put it on to set the video late last night and I could see dark red/brown patches across the top and bottom of the screen . This was Via AV3 with no signal fed to it. It was even worse on AV4, again with no signal.
    Once I switched on a signal it seemed to vanish.
    It was there again today.
    You know how it is once you notice something you can't stop looking for it. I remember a discussion on something similar a couple of months ago .
    Any thoughts?

btw I also THEN noticed the "clouding" at the top of the screen SHAUNTHEDUDE mentioned !!

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

these patches that we seem to have were visible on my last 3 sony tvs. the patches on my px2 were red when i got it. An engineer came and took off the front panel. There were 6 knobs on the right (looking at it) He turnred the red gun down a tad. This got rid of the red and left a browny colour. Same colour as my last sony tvs were making. I can only notice this on a black screen with the light out. I think its just somthing we will have to live with. It does not bother me

hth
    shaun

3. yakko

yakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was a quick reply!

BTW you mentioned the metro centre once I think, are you somewhere in the North East? (no specifics of course)

Yakko

4. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sure am. North of alnwick

cheers dude
    shaun

5. yakko

yakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to harp on about this but can anyone who's had this problem describe what it loks like on their set? It's not just a small patch on mine but can almost fill the whole screen sometimes. It seems to vary. I'm just wondering if I have a variant or a new problem
    thanks

Yakko

6. grahamd

grahamd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi yakko, this has happened to mine over the last couple of days, instead of a pure black screen, its now mostly reddy brown, except the far right hand side half way up.

iv'e now also got more visible marks on the screen in addition to the ones already present. (see my other post).
    and whilst watching road to perdition last night the blue convergence seemed more out than normal. god i'm sick of this tv.

3rd px2 arrives next saturday, if these faults are present its back to the drawing board. :suicide:

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your best bet is to get an engineer in to ajust the brightness of the guns. This is what I did and it took him 10 mins. The screen on mine was red instead of black. The guy came, took of the fron panel and turned the knob that was for the red gun. It made my screen black apart from the top which is a pale brown colour. However I can only see this on a TOTALLY black screen with the light out. He said he could cure it by faffing on a while ajusting all the guns to get it black but i told him no, as i was ok with the way it was as I dont watch tv in the dark anyway

cheers
    shaun

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could easily ajust it yourself if you want. Take out the screws on the back that hold the speaker cover on. Then this cover sort of lifts up and pulls off. Inside on the right you will see a box with 6 (i think) knobs on it. Find which knobs cable goes to the red gun, then just turn it VERYslightly anti clockwise. that should get rid of the red screen. The other knobs are for green and blue but I dont know what the other 3 are for.
    hth

shaun:smashin:

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other three are probably focus adjustment for each gun.