1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 42TS2E or Panasonic 6 series

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rsjt, Nov 9, 2003.

1. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking of upgrading my 36" CRT TV to a 42" plasma for some time. I had been saving for a Panasonic 6 series with a couple of input boards (c £3.5k) but I have been offered a Sony 42TS2E for less than £3k. I don't need the built-in tuner or the speakers but it has good connectivity and it seems like a good price.

Any views on comparative picture quality ? Most of the reviews would put the 6 series ahead of the Sony and I'd like to get something that comes close to my CRT TV. One issue is that I'm planning to upgrade my DVD player to one with Pal Progressive at some stage. Would it be best to save up for the Panny which I could match with a DVD player with DVI/HDMI out or would I not lose much with analogue component and the Sony . Grateful for any views, or if anyone has had a chance to compare the two screens.

Thanks

Ryland

2. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The panny - no contest

Also you will get the 42wd6 for a lot less than that. I paid less than £2900 for one with wall mount, scart board, ixos 3m fully wired scart & quintro switcher thrown in. (And that was from one of the most reputable dealers about, not a cheap 'n' nasty net special jobby !!!)

3. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AndyGo: Where did you buy this plasma at such a wonderful price?

4. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would like to know Andy's basis for his "no contest" assertion - a very bald statement. In my view there's no such thing as a "no contest" in the plasma market. Ryland, if you're happy with your CRT PQ please be warned that no plasma can match it on TV programmes - there just isn't the sharpness or depth. But if your viewing is mainly DVD you'll be amazed how well a properly set-up plasma performs. Quite different from what you'll see in most shops.

5. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :laugh: Positively hair raising if you ask me!.................:rotfl:

:lesson: That will be the lack of a COMB filter then!...................:rotfl:

I'd say Andys' statement was a "Short Back And Sides" at worst compared to your Wax and Polish job BB! ;)

Between the Sony and the Panny this IS a "No Contest"! Buy the PANNY.....You won't regret it. :smashin:

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

6. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How do you know?

7. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bernard - Yes, you are of course right, to each and every set of eyeballs with a person attached there exists a personal opinion as to PQ nirvana. I can only state my personal preference (and purchasing choice). But... to quantify this I would like to note that I have been into the Home Cinema revolution since the early days (way back when Thames Valley Laser were converting Pio CLD1450's - anyone remember that ?!) and have lived with various incarnations of CRT's & RP's for the last 14 years now. I have followed the evolution of plasma since inception to the domestic market and have personally shied away from them until I believed the picture quality to be of a personally acceptable standard. I am no expert, nor profess to be, I am simply stating that after many demos of most of the plasma's on the market I chose Panasonic. In my opinion the Sony presentation of images on plasma was not up to the recent standards achieved by other manufacturers. I am not in any way an anti-sony-ist (?!?!?), as I have had a Sony RPTV for the last seven years and was delighted with it, it's just that Panasonic do plasma better !

Ryland asked for personal opinions as to plasma's at the start of this thread, that is all that I have given here. Again subjectivity plays a big part and I would never suggest anyone go on anything other than their own eyes & opinions, it's just that the views of someone who has actually demoed Sony and Panasonics may be of interest.

By the way, I also dislike Marmite - but it doesn't make me a bad person !!!!!!

Hope this helps

Andy

P.s. - As for the price, not sure if the deals quite the same now, but have a chat with Liam at AV-sales, a great dealer with great demo facilities. Or if you're further north there's Joe Fernand in Scotland. Check the threads & I believe you'll soon realise you won't go far wrong with these guys. There are a lot of great deals on plasma's out there on the net at the moment, just be sure to pick a dealer who won't let you down if the need arises later. Also if anyone still pays retail for plasma's then please contact me as I have some magic beans I'd like to swap for a Barco data grade projector....................!!:D

8. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help guys. You've persuaded me to wait until I can get a demo of the Panny 6.

Bernard - I take your point about TV viewing, it's the one thing that's stopped me from moving to plasma in the past. I'm hoping I don't lose too much with a decent feed from my Sky Plus box, but I am mainly going to use the display for DVD.

Thanks

Ryland

9. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one last note of caution - beware of lip-synch issues on sky viewing. Sky is notorious for wildly varying broadcast quality, lipsynchs of 200 milliseconds are not unknown. Add to this the processing done by prog scan (100 milliseconds give or take - i.e. one field) and you can get to a situation where it becomes very noticeable on a large screen. If you have delay functions within your system then all is o.k., otherwise do some research and allocate budget accordingly.

This is an inherent by-product of progressive scan & video processing in a system where audio & video are directed diversely at source, not something common only to plasma. On a non prog display (i.e. ALiS plasma/interlaced crt or similar) this is obviously not a problem, although picture quality suffers.

You pays yer money............

p.s. I am not bald !....just prefer to shave my hair thinly !!!!

10. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the 480 Line limit bother people who buy Pan 42" sets?

Sure for NTSC viewing its fine, but us poor PAL residents have to suffer a downscaled image surely?

11. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    480 line limit - not really a prob for me, if you want more, buy the hi-def model.

It's easy to get tied up in the SD/HD, scan line specs argument , etc. Most of these arguments seem to come from people who've not actually demoed these sets properly or extensively. It's simply a case of viewing and also ascertaining your personal usage over the time frame of ownership versus cost. I.e. if you only watch region 2 DVD's, Laserdisc & occasional sky then 480p is fine, obviously somebody who owns imported recorded hi-def tapes from overseas or someone who utilises PC input extensively requires a different approach. Figure out what you want, shortlist, demo, smile ...... then buy !!!!

12. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

I purchased a panny pw6 a weeks or so back and am looking to purchase a surround sound amp to partner it. From your experiences with your panny would you say that a speaker delay function is a must have on the new amp I am purchasing?

13. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, an absolute must in my opinion. Satellite / cable sources can be really problematic so if you intend to watch these for any length of time then you need a delay function. If you need convincing then just watch Roseanne at 6.30 pm on Paramount channel & you'll see what I mean !! (This is one of the worse culprits - also some of the news channels).
    I would say that on DVD the effect is much much reduced, presumably due to the cleaner signal & lack of remedial processing leading to only the prog scan 100 millisecond delay which (unless you go looking for it) is practically undetectable. If you intend to add video processing then this will obviously exacerbate the situation.
    Laserdisc is similar to DVD but slightly worse (easily liveable with though, although not many recent purchasers will have LD).

Upshot of all this is, ensure your amp has a MASTER delay. (Speaker delay for room matching is not the same)

cheers,
    Andy