1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 42TS2

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rags, May 27, 2003.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Has anyone seen this plasma. I know the TS1 version received some rubbish reviews but has the TS2 improved things ?

It's an all in one with tuner and speakers built in. It sounds perfect for my needs - two small kids so I need to keep it simple. Also is it PAL progressive ?

Thanks
    Rags

2. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rags

I saw this unit on Saturday in my local Sony Centre. I have to say I was quite impressed. I aslo saw the Panasonic and Hitachi on the same day, and found it hard to choose between them on the demo's I had (seem my posting under Too many choices)

The one thing that struck me about the Sony was the sheer size of it. It appeared to be far larger that the other 2.

IMO this would make a good family TV as it's fully intergrated and appeared to be very user friendly. I would recommend that you go and see it along with some others for comparison, but look out, you'll end up as confused as I am :confused: !!!!

The Sony Centre was offering a good deal if you want to buy from a high street store, but I'm sure there are better deals to be had on the net.

Let me know how you get on

Good luck

regards

Jason

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    To be honest I am after decent picture quality but simplicity is more important for me.

The sony is like a normal tv so it fits my needs.

I have 3 concerns -

1. Is it Pal progressive ?- I want to get the HK DVD player as well.

2. It comes with a desktop stand but I want to hang it on a wall - can this be swopped and if not how much is the wall bracket ?

3. If I do hang it from the wall and the tuner box is built in how do I hide the scart leads, aerial cable etc that will be connected to it ?

The other solution is to get the hitachi as it has the tuner box seperate and I think only one cable goes up to the plasma.

:confused:

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've got the 32 inch version, and i'm very pleased with it. The built in deinterlacing does a good job, and the picture is as good as i've seen on a plasma, but it does go "dotty" sometimes with horizontal movement but I think this is because it's an ALIS panel. It's definately bigger than other 32inch screens, I saw a toshiba 35 inch in john lewis at the weekend and i'd swear it had the same panel inside it, but it was £1000 more than I paid for my Sony! It doesn't have a flat back and the sockets go strait in the back so I wouldn't reccomend it if you want to wall mount it.

I'm not 100% sure about PAL progressive but it would be silly of them not to include that capability considering that it's brand new and they are releasing PAL prog DVD players this year. The manual is pretty useless, I guess those Japs can't be bothered with writing decent english manuals!

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    it is pal prog (but I think it is ALIS so moot point as to whether it's worth the bother) but wall mounting is not realistic

Philips and Hitachi do screens with external "ready to go" media boxes that may meet your needs (act like tvs but mount on walls connected through 1 lead)

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Sorry to sound thick but what the hell is ALIS :confused:

Wall mounting is important (for me thats one of the great plasma plus points in terms of space saving). Therefore the Sony is out of the running.

Would it be possible to buy a Pioneer 433mxe and connect it to a pioneer tuner box or is the only other option to go for the Hitachi solution if I want to wall mount ? I definately need a plasma which can easily be wall mounted, has a seperate tuner box so only one cable goes upto the plasma and has built in speakers (or you can add them as an extra item).

Dont want a Pioneer HDE as no PAL progressive.

Thanks
    Rags

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25