Sony 42" W829 or Panasonic 42" AS650?

xs2man

So,

The time is close approaching. Just had word that my local HiFi store will have in the Sony W829 on Thursday. I had a look at the set when I was in-store late last week, and it did look great if I'm honest.

Problem is, I'm a bit of a Panasonic fanboy (I love my 50" GT30 in my living room). And really like the idea of the AS650 (albeit without the ability for Amazon Prime, which I believe the Sony does). It wont be in for a couple weeks though. But he will phone me when it's in.

Both in 42", and both for the same price, and both with 5 year warranty.

It's for the bedroom, and will be used mainly for TV watching duties, with some films. Most of the media will be over the network, hence the need for SMART. I guess the 3D is a bit overkill though, as I will first need to figure out how to properly rip 3D BluRays for transmission over the network. But I'm sure it will happen soon enough.

What way would you go? And why?

Ossie77

Looking at the Panasonic website it shows that the AS650 has an IPS panel. Usually this means poor contrast and black levels when viewing with lights dimmed. The AS640 has the same 1200HZ refresh rate but it doesn't state IPS so it might have the MVA panel which was such a hit with the E6B from last year. Maybe hang on a bit until reviews and feedback for the new Panasonic's emerge? If you can't then get the Sony!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom