Sony 42" Plasma for £1000

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by mivvi, Dec 16, 2002.

1. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    First time here, so be gentle! Have been offered a Sony PFM-42B1 screen for £1000. I understand this screen is only a monitor but I wish to watch tv on it. Which is the best way to go about this?

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    First of all, are you sure it's legit.? That is a ridiculously low price for what is a very well specified plasma. Even 2nd hand.

Have you watched it working, to check for screen burn etc.?

If it is completely legit. and from a trusted source, then you should go for it. Complete bargain.

At the simplest level, you could use the tuner in a VCR to provide analogue terrestrial TV. Would need to feed the analogue sound outputs from the VCR into an amp to hear the sound.

Similarly, to get the sound from any other sources that you have (DVD, Sky etc.), you would need a suitable amp. To get the best from a display of this quality, should be thinking about a home cinema surround system really. Either one of the all-in-one jobs (DVD + surround sound + speakers), or separate AV receiver/amp + speakers.

If you've got any more specific questions about the types of video connections to use for each source, then try doing a search first. If you don't get the answer, then post here and some kind soul will help you out. :D

3. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the screen is legit, I have got it through work as its an x-demo model. I am currently running it through a video enhancer that converts the standard ariel signal to VGA. This works but still seems a bit grainy on dark colours, this happens on DVD and normal tv channels? Is it that I am sitting too close to the screen (am about 9ft away) or do I need to look at a different input source. Before this I was using a 22" LCD but didnt seem to have this problem. Not to impressed so far, any help would be great? Thanks!

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Which 'video enhancer' are you using? Which connections to DVD etc.?

5. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/prov_converter.html
    Above is a link to the enhancer I am using, if you would like a look. I have now tried using a s-video lead direct from my dvd player in to the (Y-C) socket on the screen. This works and gives slightly better sharpness but still very grainy on the dark colours. I have tried lots of playing around with the brightness and contrast but still not happy. Is it better for me to sell this screen and buy one of these LG screens with everything built in?

PS. A V Junky, thank you for taking the time out to help, it is much appreciated.

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The ProV is very commonly used on these forums. Most people seem to use it to improve picture quality from Sky and VCR (and to get terrestrial channels). Which output resolution are using from ProV to screen? Bear in mind that you have a high resolution panel. Most of the 42" plasmas out there have a native resolution of WVGA (852x480), but the Sony is rated at 1024 x 1024. This is a good thing for picture quality of course!
    Most of the reports I've seen from ProV users state that they are using the highest output resolution setting (1024 x 768 if I remember rightly). For most of the users, this would mean that the scaler in the plasma will downscale the picture to match the panel resolution. However, in your case a small amount of upscaling would be needed.

For DVD connection, I think that most people seem to be using a direct component connection to the screen. If you don't have component-out on your DVD, then you can buy a RGB scart to component converter from companies such as Lektropacks (amongst others).

Finally, if you want to see what the screen is cabable of, then try connecting it to a PC via VGA. Do you have access to a PC or laptop fitted with a DVD drive and player software (such as PowerDVD)? This set up would feed the screen with a high res., fully progressive scan video signal. Nice :cool:

7. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mivvi,
    I've got this screen and the picture quality has been pretty good. I have been feeding everything to it from Svideo (DVD, Sky+ to 3802 then out via Svideo) if that helps?
    However it's been playing up recently and costs a fortune to get fixed, so I've just ordered a brand new Panny which arrives tomorrow.
    Good luck with your Sony though, it'll be much better than the LG if a little trickier to setup.

8. mivvi

mivvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks AV Junky and Bleach,
    That has given me some things to try. I am currently running a Pioneer 444 DVD player and using the s-video output. The input on the screen is marked as (Y/C)? It works though but think I will invest in a quality cable for this, as the one I am using is a cheapy. Will be getting SKY installed again soon, so that might help. I will connect up my PC tonight to see how well this panel performs anyhow, it does seem to have good reviews. Am I using the best output from the DVD or should I get a scart to VGA convertor? Thanks again!

9. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Converting the RGB signal on the scart to either component or VGA is definitely the way to go. S-video (the Y/C connector) is an inferior connection to a component type (RGB with synch signal/s). A couple of suitable products are shown on the link below
    Lektropacks link

Can't say how these perform in relation to other company's products, just a site that I've used for cables before.

When you connect the PC, try experimenting with different screen resolution to get the best results. The ideal should be 1:1 pixel mapping, i.e. setting the resolution to exactly match that of the panel. Not sure if your computer will be able to do this though. Try the available options for resolutions and see what you get!

10. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69