Sony 40Z4500 SD Performance against Px60

aadams1x

Standard Member
Hi, I am very busy getting confused! I would like to buy a new TV, I currently have Panasonic 37PX60 which I have been very pleased with and love the quality of the SD, although I run a PS3 and Sky HD most of viewing is still SD.

Many LCD's I have seen have had very poor SD performance against panasonic plasmas even through set even though it is a few years old.

Are there any owners of the 40Z4500 than can let me know how it performs with SD, this is a massive purchase for me so want to be sure!!

Thanks so much,
Andrew

alsina

Hi, I am very busy getting confused! I would like to buy a new TV, I currently have Panasonic 37PX60 which I have been very pleased with and love the quality of the SD, although I run a PS3 and Sky HD most of viewing is still SD.

Many LCD's I have seen have had very poor SD performance against panasonic plasmas even through set even though it is a few years old.

Are there any owners of the 40Z4500 than can let me know how it performs with SD, this is a massive purchase for me so want to be sure!!

Thanks so much,
Andrew

It's reasonable but nothing special. What is making you look for a replacement for the PX60?

aadams1x

Standard Member
You make the same point my girlfreind does! I would like something a little larger and also I have some purple banding around skin tones in particular which i know is a "feature" of my model. Overall I have been very happy with the panasonic, would happily consider another just the styling is doing little for me at the moment of the current range of pannies....

alsina

You make the same point my girlfreind does! I would like something a little larger and also I have some purple banding around skin tones in particular which i know is a "feature" of my model. Overall I have been very happy with the panasonic, would happily consider another just the styling is doing little for me at the moment of the current range of pannies....

Then you should perhaps wait to see the new range of Panasonic tv's which are due to start appearing in shops in about 6 weeks time. Coming from your PX60 there is a 90% chance you will be disappointed with the Z4500.

aadams1x

Standard Member
This is great advice even if it is not what i wanted to hear! 20% chance would be too high for me let alone 90%!!

alsina

If it was the 200Hz on the Sony that stood out as a good feature, be aware that this will become commonplace this year. The fact that it is no better than 100Hz in improving the picture is merely a side issue I suppose.

BrianPK

I had the 42PX60 which I gave to my son when I bought a 52W4500.I'm delighted with the SD performance of the bigger LCD.The Panasonic is possibly better at SD but it's marginal.However the LCD thrashes the Plasma for HD.(brightness and detail)

aadams1x

Standard Member
Interesting comment although could that be to do with 720 on the Panasonic and 1080 on the sony?

Last edited by a moderator:

alsina

I had the 42PX60 which I gave to my son when I bought a 52W4500.I'm delighted with the SD performance of the bigger LCD.The Panasonic is possibly better at SD but it's marginal.However the LCD thrashes the Plasma for HD.(brightness and detail)

And you would expect that when comparing a 2006 model tv to a 2008 model. We sell both Panasonic and Sony and they are both very good. However, when properly calibrated the extra brightness on the Sony is negated and as the OP is looking for good SD performance, then the Panasonic is the easy winner.

BrianPK

With respect ,I beg to differ.I've lived with both and to my eyes the SD difference is marginal.Now the Pannasonic SD performance compared to my 3 year old bedroom Sharp LCD is much better but in general LCD SD performance has improved greatly in recent models to the extent that Plasma no longer has any advantage worth talking about over LCD.
I didn't get any particular pleasure in spending £1700 on a new Sony but I was so impressed with the picture quality of the Sony in the showrooms compared to anything Plasma had to offer that I felt compelled to dig deep to possess it.Now if somebody does not intend upgrading to HD over the next few years and wished to buy a new flatscreen for SD duties only then the balance might slip back to Plasma .That is my honest experience;Others are entitled to differ.

Last edited:

BrianPK

Interesting comment although could that be to do with 720 on the Panasonic and 1080 on the sony?

Don't really know.All my eyes told me was that the HD picture of the LCD was streets ahead of any Plasma I've seen or possessed and only slightly inferior in SD terms.I crave the detail,sharpness and brightness of LCD;Others might prefer the "natural" look of Plasma and better viewing angle with marginally(imo) better SD. It's a matter of preference:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom