Sony 40WD653?

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Y2JON, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Y2JON

Y2JON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just looking at the new Sony full HD range, and wondered if anybody knew much about the WD653? Is it just a re-brand of last year's W705? If so, I can get that model for around £100 cheaper. It seems no reviews yet, but this is always the best place to ask! Any info would be great. If it doesn't take as long to start up or respond, that may be a good enough reason for an impatient person like me to go with the newer model!

Thanks in advance.

2. SPARTAN086 Mike

SPARTAN086 Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I recently bought the KDL48WD653, went in blind because as you say, not any reviews around at the moment.

I bought the TV as spec-wise it looked like a 2016 version of the W6 series from 2013 - I bought it specifically to replace a KDL42W653 which I believe is the predecessor to the KDL42W705B.

The main concern for me was input lag as a lot of Sony's recent sets have been pretty poor in that respect (certainly compared to the 42W653 and 42W705B). I don't notice any difference in input lag with the KDL48WD653 which is a huge relief - I was going to send it back if it felt worse as I have been spoilt by the 42W653!

I only really use it for gaming, so can't really comment on anything else but with regards to input lag it seems to very similar to the 42W653 and 42W705B.

3. Y2JON

Y2JON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply, and grateful it's from somebody who sounds like they know a thing or two about Sony! Basically, I'm still trying to decide between the 40WD653 and 40W705. I know the new one is direct lit instead of edge lit, but other than that they seem very similar. I can get the 705 for £400 with a warranty, or the new one for £500 with the warranty. What do you think is better? I'd imagine 40W705 Is very similar to your 42W705.

4. SPARTAN086 Mike

SPARTAN086 Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No probs!

I was actually originally looking at the 48W705C but ended up going with the 48WD653. The reason for this was after doing some research I found several people mentioning that the W705C was the successor to the W605B (Sony KDL40W605 LED TV Review) - as previously mentioned, input lag was my main concern and the older W605B didn't perform too well in that regard. I have however since found a video on youtube (in russian) which indicates that input lag on the W705C varies between 15-30ms (
    Тест Input Lag телевизора Sony KDL-40W705C
    ).

In reality (after finding the input lag video for the W705C), apart from the WD653 being direct lit and the W705C being edge lit, I don't think there is too much difference between them. I'm certainly very happy with the WD653 though.

5. Y2JON

Y2JON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm definitely close to buying the WD653 now, so I appreciate that! The one last thing that may hold me back is the 'soap opera effect'. It's been about five years now since I owned a Sony, and I understand now that there's no way of turning Motionflow off on this model. Do you know if Game Mode turns it all off, or does it still suffer from it? It drives me absolutely mad, and I sent a Samsung back some years ago because you couldn't turn it off. I died with every panning shot :p