Sony 40W4000 or Samsung LE40A686

flash-harry

Standard Member
Reaction score
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I had made my mind up on getting the Sony 40W4000U after reading 5 star reviews in 3 of the current LCD/plasma/home entertainment magazines.

Found it for £779 in Richer Sounds, which is on a par with deals on the net, however it needs to be ordered in from a warehouse. Went to order it this evening when the assistant at Richer Sounds was very assertive in telling me that the A686 was a far better TV and was only £20 more than the Sony. However, only one in stock and none on display- they 'lose money' when they open them.

Firstly, is the 40W4000U the identical model to the 40W4000 (I appreciate that some retailers leave off some suffixes)?

I can't find many reviews of the Samsung, and other than style doesn't seem much different from the 656 (I've read the thread on the on going debate). I was also told that Samsung make the Sony (I assume just the panel- or the entire thing?) is this true?

Which TV do you consider to be best? The majority of the time, intend to watch freeview, with a later blu-ray purchase. I also have a Humax 9200t PVR, so I wonder if anyone who has either has knowledge of handling of other scart devices.

I have a Wii and have contemplated a PS3- will both handle these equally well? Any comments on PS3 as a blu-ray solution welcome.

I've looked at Samsungs in stores and have found the colours to be oversaturated in a way. I have noticed previously that sometimes the Samsung picture looks almost it has a moving 'grain'- is this also the case on the 686 (apologies if this sounds vague).

Thank you.

My suggestion is the even better than both 40W4500 for just £869 from richer sounds

Hi, I have been in this exact same situation a week ago. I eventually decided to go with the Sony over the Samsung. The thing that put me off the Samsung was the purple tint people were getting, and the fact I already own a 32" Samsung LCD and wasn't that impressed with it. For colours alone the Sony is hands down better, very natural looking. My only gripe with the Sony is it doesn't have a very good freeview tuner compared to the Samsung. Other than that, no complaints.

Also, if you are interested I did a short review on the Sony KDL40V4000: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825064&page=4

Edit: Just realised you are talking about the W4000, but needless to say I have read they are very similar.

Last edited:
Are there any key differences between the two Sonys?

The W4500 is 100Hz and from the sounds of it is a fantastic TV. I'm very tempted by it and am currently torn between it and the V4000 (purely whether I want to spend another few hundred quid :)) but I still have to see both of them in the flesh.

The richer sounds reps will push whatever they need to get rid of and what makes them the most profit.

Sony over the samsung would be my choice :thumbsup:

Are there any key differences between the two Sonys?

100Hz,higher contrast and network capabilities.Having seen both the price difference makes W4500 really worth the extra

Does the network connection do anything exciting?

Edit: I see that you can se it for photos/music- is this easy to set up e.g. IP address or sharing folders- can this be a PC or a harddisk and is software needed?

Last edited:
a pc with DLNA,but you can also view photos and listen to music from a USB.Also the overall performance is even better than W4000

Thank you all, have reserved a 40w4500 for when they come in at richer sounds....now to price match!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom