Sony 40W2000, 40D3000 or Samsung 40M87

Q

QED

I am really confused with the choice here and I would appreciate some words of wisdom from some of you guys.

I think that I would like a 1080p TV however I'm not really sure if I need it as my inputs will be Sky HD and an upscaler DVD player/recorder only.

I have read what HiFi etc and all 3 get really good reviews. The new Sony D3000 especially for the smooth picture. I am however drawn to the Samsung as it seems to be getting really good reviews as well.
  • I'm scared about this "clouding" on the W2000 however I am not an AV boff - can I live with it?
  • I like the sound of the smooth picture on the D3000 however it's not 1080p - can I live with it?
  • The Samsung gets really good reviews, is the picture as smooth as the D3000 and as good as the W2000?

If you can suggest an alternative to all then I'm open to advice. My budget is £1300 and I like 5 year warranties.

Thanks

I compared all three in several shops and the picture on the 40W2000 always looked the best in real life to me, but more importantly to my wife :D so that is what I bought and I have one with no clouding issues :cool:

Hello, Try this link,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10066385

To be honest iv not yet seen a lcd that beats a good plasma but the samsung is very very good indeed.

But its worth bearing in mind that samsung have got a couple of new lcds and some 1080p plasma's out very soon. one of the lcd's has got a 500,000/1 contrast ratio --==NICE==--

hope this helps

your asking the wrong question tbh

the choice is more like

Sony W3000, Samsung 40 F86 or Sony D3000

with the former 2 being 1080p, and the D3000 being 100hz and 1366 x 768

with the Sony W3000 being 1080p but no 100hz (like the W2000)

and the samsung F86 being 1080p and 100hz as well.

Obviously neither of the first 2 are out. But depending on how the whole 100hz thing pans out. Im getting one of the former 2.

Its maybe better to put away 40W2000(old model,replacement comes in 1moth,serious clouding).The new Sony KDL-40V3000 with BETTER feautures than the W2000 will cost around the current W2000's price!!!Or if you really want very good SD then take the well-known best current 720p tv which is the 40D3000.If you do not care about the SD then the Samsung LE-40M87 or the Sony KDL-40V3000!!!!

Well I have just purchased the D3000 and I am over the moon with this TV, people moan like hell about SD on LCD TV’s but they must sit 4 inches form the screen because it is fabulous, and as far as 1080p I very much doubt you will see the difference unless again your 4 inches from the screen or you have a 50” screen, hope it helps you decide, but remember there is always something better round the corner, so you will have to take the plunge at one point unless you want to wait forever……….

You won't see any benefits of Full HD on the screen <=42", unless you gonna sit in 3ft from display. Look at other more usefull options, like 100hz, good colors, deep black, etc. Go now for D3000 or wait for the next wave of Full HD 100hz with ok picture.

You won't see any benefits of Full HD on the screen <=42", unless you gonna sit in 3ft from display. Look at other more usefull options, like 100hz, good colors, deep black, etc. Go now for D3000 or wait for the next wave of Full HD 100hz with ok picture.

Thanks Denstone, that's exactly the kind of advice that I need. I was very impressed with the picture quality of the D3000 and to be honest I think the other half would be more interested in a better SD picture than the difference between HD ready and full HD.

I have read loads of posts on lcd's and after months of reading i decided on the D3000. I too am interested in getting the 40D3000 but not sure where the best place to get it from with a decent price and reliable store?

Further to this I have just seen the following offer:
Sony KDL40D3000 including free RDRHXD870 DVD recorder, free DSC-W80 cybershot camera plus a free five year warranty for £1199 from The Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh.

Very tempted with that offer considering my Panasonic E85 Dvd recorder has broken with the "self check" bug and my Fuji Finepix is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Unless anyone convinces me otherwise I think I'm going to go for it.

The cut off distance to tell 720p and 1080p apart is at a greater distance than 3'. Unless you have terrible eyesight. Yes if you're 8' you won't tell the difference

The cut off distance to tell 720p and 1080p apart is at a greater distance than 3'. Unless you have terrible eyesight. Yes if you're 8' you won't tell the difference

So,what is the cut of distance? Its more than 3 and less than 8, but how much?
I ask this because i'm buying a new TV and this is my biggest gripe in choosing.

Just get the D3000 or the Samsung (u will defo need the 5year warranty on the Samsung) :clap::clap:

Call me an anorak but a few months ago, before I got my 40W2000, I printed out on my inkjet 2 sections of black and white squares, one matching the 1080 and one matching 720. I did them in illustator so it wasn't too tricky (still an anorak though). Anyway, from what I can remember you can see the difference up to about 6-8 feet depending on your eyesight, obviously they are high contrast squares, but nonetheless it is relative.

As I mentioned, I have the 40W2000 and from 12 foot plus SD looks pretty sharp. Over the Hedge on DVD connected via hdmi or component looks amazing as do other cg films.

Coops

tbh i've never seen any evidence of clouding on my 40w , and this is from 2 feet away

from what i've heard , you see the clouding when the tv is on but there's no source laying

once the source plays the clouding goes

err

who the hell watches a tv without anything on it ?

:)

But its worth bearing in mind that samsung have got a couple of new lcds one of the lcd's has got a 500,000/1 contrast ratio --==NICE==--

hope this helps

Hi Spudsy

That's interesting. Any chance you could point me in the right direction for some information on these LCD's please?

Thanks

Hi Spudsy

That's interesting. Any chance you could point me in the right direction for some information on these LCD's please?

Thanks

Not to sure were u might find some info on them but here's what i know at the moment.

There due out september time (ish)
there are 2 new lcd models

LE40F87BDX + LE46F86BDX called PEONY.
These two are both 1080p with 25,000/1 contrast ratio.

And the LE52F96BDX This one is also 1080p but with a 500,000/1 contrast ratio.:thumbsup: it will be called ROSE

There is also a 50" and a 63" plasma both 1080p with a 15,000/1 contrast ratio.

Will post more details as soon as i know them.

Hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom