Sony 40CX523 or Samsung UE40D5520

ND81

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

Sorry for being a NooB, but I am confused between these two TVs.

Sony with the Cashback would cost £350 (from Argos) and Samsung will cost 474.75 (Dixons) or 479.99 (RicherSounds).

My Requiremets:
Full HD, Internet & DLNA

Used For:
HD and SD (Sky) - mostly for movies, not much of a Sports fan, Occasional Games (PS3)

Budget:
Preferablly under £400 max £500

I am new in UK,and I am not sure whether I should wait for Boxing Day sales to see if any other good TV becomes available in this price range, or should I go for the Sony cashback deal with Argos that ends on Christmas Eve

russ331

Both TVs have plenty of good reviews. The Samsung may be a better TV, but I don't think it's worth the extra cash. Buy the Sony.

ND81

Standard Member
Thanks - But can anybody advice if the price of Samsung can come down further in Boxing day sales. And what is the generic opinion on Serivce from Argos?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Argos = 1 year warranty. I wouldn't buy from them. John Lewis or Richer Sounds better

The Samsung may come down a little in the sales from John Lewis to say £500. They have currently for £5289 (in store, out of stock online). If it does come down in the sales, you can get the difference refunded (within 28 days).

Last edited:

ND81

Standard Member
Just got the Sony tonight. Set it up and so far well pleased.

Whcih store did you get it from and at what price?

UE40d5520 is back in stock in JL, do they refund the difference even if the price comes down in another store like RS?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yes, within 28 days if the price match meets their criteria - and against themselves too

ND81

Standard Member
Thanks for letting me know about the price match. But coming back to original question, is Samsung worth the extra £180?

ND81

Standard Member
Argos 450 with 100 back from Sony. Its a nice tv. Will play more with it re sounds picture etc

Thanks Everyone for the advice. Finally bought it from Dixons @ £423 (5% off coupon XMAS5). Getting it delivered tomorrow.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom