1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 38&40" crts ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by allygash, Aug 5, 2003.

1. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How come sony dont bring in their flagship large screen CRTs to the UK? Such as the KV-40XBR800 grand wega? I dont see ne1 in here talking about anything larger than 36" for crt's.. The us models look first class.

Looking to buy best crt I can find but want at least 38"+, no rear projector stuff. Looks like plasma is the only way to go in the UK?

Thx in advance.

2. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi allygash,

I think the 40" Sony you mention has got a (square) 4:3 aspect ratio screen, whereas 36" UK TV's are (rectangular) 16:9 widescreen models.

4:3 screens have become less desirable with the advent of DVD's and (some) digital TV broadcasting in widescreen.

36" is currently the limit of what can be relliably acheived with CRT. This is bound to change over time. There is less of a demand for widescreen TV's in the US even though they have been available for over a decade. The take off of DVD and hi-def TV in the States may change this however.

If you want a really big screen have you thought about video projectors?

I bought the 36" Sony widescreen a few years back, like you I wanted the best screen poss. The thing is massive and heavy and after 2 years I want a bigger image.

For money you will get a far superior (and bigger!) image than is available with plasma. Go and look at the image quality on a few plasmas (esp. dark, fast moving images) in your local AV store. Films like The Matrix will highlight the limitations of plasma - look out for colour banding (looks like a bad 80's music video effect) and smearing in fast-paced action scenes, and blacks that are more of a murky grey.

Just my 2 cents worth naturally :)

OwenW

3. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, just the type of answer i was lookin for..