• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony 37W5500 CONNECTIVITY QUERY

smartie1947

I have the above due to be delivered later this week. I would like to connect it up as my current Panny as follows:-
a) Digital aerial input to TV aerial socket
b) Sky HD aerial to Sky HD Box
c) HDMI cable from Sky HD Box to TV HDMI socket
d) Scart lead from Sky HD box to AV1 socket on TV
e)Sky Settings Scart Video Output set to RGB
This allows me to still watch analogue teletext (which I prefer) until it is discontinued.

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Not trying to be smart or anything, but are you asking a question or just telling us what you're doing? :confused:

StevieBuck

So what exactly is your query? Are you just asking if it will still work OK?

One observation is that you've said you'll have both scart and HDMI connections made up between the TV and the Sky+HD box. The HDMI is the only connection that will give you HD video, and there's no need to have scart connected as well - unless of course you think this gives better picture quality for SD content.

smartie1947

Not trying to be smart or anything, but are you asking a question or just telling us what you're doing? :confused:

Despite the nom de plum, I am not trying to be smart but am genuinely seeking advice. When it comes to RGB,Monitor etc ,I have no idea and am hoping someone can reassure me that the above will work or can advise me of a better setup.

smartie1947

So what exactly is your query? Are you just asking if it will still work OK?

One observation is that you've said you'll have both scart and HDMI connections made up between the TV and the Sky+HD box. The HDMI is the only connection that will give you HD video, and there's no need to have scart connected as well - unless of course you think this gives better picture quality for SD content.

Thanks for your input. I must admit I get an excellent SD picture currently.Whether this is down to the scart lead link I don't know and there seems little point in altering my current Panny set-up meantime.

If I were you I would chuck those Scart leads in the bin. They are so last year and totally unnecessary. A single HDMI from Sky+HD to TV is all you need for the best PQ & sound .

smartie1947

If I were you I would chuck those Scart leads in the bin. They are so last year and totally unnecessary. A single HDMI from Sky+HD to TV is all you need for the best PQ & sound .

Cheers William
Take your point re Scart lead. More pertinent is the lead from the outdoor aerial. Am I right in saying that if I put that lead into the back of the Sky HD box, I will be restricted to 2 outputs ie both from the Sky HD box. If however I put the outdoor aerial lead directly into the socket on the tv, I effectively can have 3 separate programmes - 2 to Sky+ record and 1 to watch on DVB.

Cheers William
Take your point re Scart lead. More pertinent is the lead from the outdoor aerial. Am I right in saying that if I put that lead into the back of the Sky HD box, I will be restricted to 2 outputs ie both from the Sky HD box. If however I put the outdoor aerial lead directly into the socket on the tv, I effectively can have 3 separate programmes - 2 to Sky+ record and 1 to watch on DVB.

I am afraid you lost me on that (my fault I expect). I plug my Freeview feed directly into the TV.

Sky+HD has two feeds into the HD box anyway & TBH I never watch Freeview since I got Sky+HD. I believe you can record two seperate Sky channels simaltaneously but not sure about watching a third channel whilst it is doing so. But you could indeed watch Freeview whilst it is doing so

StevieBuck

The reason for the Sky box having RF output connections is that it can output the video signal over RF. Essentially, this allows you to tune Sky into any TV connected to either of it's RF outputs with their built in analogue tuner. If you connect your outdoor aerial feed to the "RF in" on the Sky box, this signal is also fed through the RF outputs so you can still tune in any analogue/digital channels on the connected TV(s).

As you haven't mentioned the requirement for watching Sky on other TVs, I think it would be best just to connect the outdoor aerial feed directly to the TV. There would be no detrimental effect connecting the outdoor aerial via the Sky box, apart from the obvious fact that you'd need an extra cable to do so.

The TV aerial system is completely separate from the satellite equipment. So regardless of whether you connect the aerial through the Sky box or directly to the TV, you will still be able to watch a third channel on digital/analogue TV while recording two on Sky.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom