• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sony 37' or toshiba 37' lcds

andyc44

Standard Member
Hello,
Not sure whether to buy a Toshiba 37xv555db or sony kdl374000.
The Sony looks better in shops but the tosh is a better spec.
Or is there a better 37'.
Can anyone help please?

berkeley384

Considering that the 37xv553db which is the same as the 37xv555db (with the exception that it has a gun metal grey stand rather than all back) is only £440 at Sainsburys at the moment (listed at £449 before the VAT reduction) the opportunity is there to save quite a lot of ££'s and its still a very good set

boxrick

Id say the best 2 37" televisions are:

Panasonic TH37PX80
Panasonic TH37LXD85

both around £500, easily the best sets at this size for every usage minus as a computer monitor....

PX80 is available from a variety of places... the lxd85 is currently £500 at pcworld ....

jwyg

the best 37" LCDs are made by Panasonic, than Sony 37v4000 (due to the panel)

can someone explain this to me please - i have heard that the panel quality on 37" is worse than 40" for sony and samsung (due to a different manufacturer or technology for the different sizes?)

does this apply to all 37" screens, or are examples from panasonic, LG and toshiba any better?

i've seen the toshiba 37XV555, LG 37LG6000, panasonic TX37LZD85 for around £500. are these any good, and would they be better than the comparable size (and/or cost) sony / samsung

CheekyJnr

Standard Member
The only 37" sony are doing is the kdl37v4000 - the spec on this gives it a resolution of 1366 x 768, the 40v4000 is 1920 x 1080 hence the reason why you have been told this information.

Just as a note, but if you shop around your money ie 600 notes covers you on a 37", full hd with 100hz - Tosh 37rv555 (worth putting on your shopping list innit!!!!) and unlike the Sony, you will be able to buy it (just aint no stock about)

Ta da

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
There are five manufactures who design and manufacture 37" panels (Matsush*ta/Hitachi, AUO, CMO, LGD and CPT).

If you want a 37" set with guaranteed quality panel, you have no choice but to stick with Panasonic as they use quality IPS-Alpha on all their 37" range.

With other brands, there's a 1 in 4 of you getting a quality panel.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Not sure whether to buy a Toshiba 37xv555db or sony kdl374000.
I bought a Sony KDL-40L4000 for £587 before Christmas and at first I really liked it, that was until the terrible motion blurring set in. If the Toshiba 37XV553DB was in stock at the same time and I had the knowledge I have now, I would have sacrificed the slightly larger screen size for the cheaper and better performing TV.

Read as much as you can about the Sony to see if that model suffers motion blur.

andyc44

Standard Member
Still looking. Been into Curry's and looked at the LG 37LG7000 and it looks good. Good spec but costs £650. Any one know whether this is a good TV and worth paying the extra for?:lease:

jwyg

Just phoned Toshiba - the 37XV553DB is Exactly the same TV as the 37XV555DB but with a silver trim across the bottom of the set.... just so you know ;)

great - many thanks!!:thumbsup:

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
As someone has already said, the Toshiba 37XV553DB is £449.99 in Sainsbury's after it was £479.99 a couple of weeks ago. I would happily return my Sony KDL-40L4000 and exchange it for the Toshiba, pocketing £137 in the process, but I don't think I can now after owning the Sony Motion Blur for over a month. :(

berkeley384

As someone has already said, the Toshiba 37XV553DB is £449.99 in Sainsbury's after it was £479.99 a couple of weeks ago. I would happily return my Sony KDL-40L4000 and exchange it for the Toshiba, pocketing £137 in the process, but I don't think I can now after owning the Sony Motion Blur for over a month. :(

To be more precise , the 37XV553DB in Sainsburys is £440 as the sticker price does not reflect the VAT rate change :smashin:

jwyg

yep £440 :) however, it does say 37XV553/503 on the label, so perhaps you can't be guaranteed the 553 (and i understand it's an upgrade rather than a cosmetic change between the two?)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom