1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 36FS76

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Lpool, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Lpool

Lpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone seen black blocks on your FS76 ?

This is the second set I've tried and they both have the same problem. The black blocks are only showing on dark scenes. Mine also have a light part on the right side of the screen..and it buzzes...Sony will not admit it's a fault...

2. Lpool

Lpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a picture...

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      Size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  3. jamwww

jamwww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Difficult to see from the image, but earlier some people complained here about 'blocky artifacts' that seemed very much like mpeg2-type digital compression stuff, meaning that they probably originated from the source. They were easily visible only when brightness/contrast were tuned way higher than normal settings. The idea (simplified) is that mpeg-compressors don't bother spending data bits for creating solid black screens if they can reuse stuff from earlier frames etc. that is 'dark enough' so that the difference isn't visible (or so they think :nono: )

Anyway, is your image source digital (DVD, digi-tv etc.) or analog? Of course, nowadays even analog broadcasts have often gone through a digital compression at some stage, so it's no guarantee of block-free images either. Best to have a computer or something (or maybe a high-quality test DVD) for generating clean test screens.

4. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Is that black screen coming from RGB? If so try switching to Video or S-Video and see what it like

5. Lpool

Lpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes from RGB...its there when I watch dvd and when I watch digital tv..when I turn the Noise reduction to "off"..then there are no such blocks..but then the picture is not so clear. When I switch it to Video or S-video its's either black and white picture or its not so good as RGB.

6. bugman

bugman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    lpool,yes i get the same,just posted reply to your post under help with fs76 setup,usually get this type of screen just before the dvd fires up a picture,in the few seconds it takes to read the disc.
    if you set up the picture with a test dvd or the thx set up that comes bundled on a lot of dvd,s knock the contrast down slightly it will fade ,ive noticed this on a few of mine but not all.
    regards
    bugman

7. Lpool

Lpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok...do you also have a light part on the right side of the screen? My set is very good on dvds and hifgh quality broadcast..but is terrible on lower quality..but this is typical on 100 hz. The black blocks dissapear when I turn the "noise reduction" to off....

8. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Where about is this light part?

Is it visable on certain colour?

9. Lpool

Lpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most visable on dark scenes of course...its on the right side..

10. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Well I did have like on dark screen was like white clouding at the top of screen on a FX66. Not sure if this what your getting but on the right hand side instead.

But I now own a FQ80 in which does not have this problem

11. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I posted another thread re the picture on my FS76... I don't seem to have the 'black blocks' you describe, but I have got a dark band about 6-8" running horizontally across the bottom of the screen... I've have an engineer take a look and he said he hadn't seen anything like it before, but would speak to Sony...

Don't hold out much hope though...

I will have a good look for these black blocks tonight and let you know...

I have to say though, at some point you have to accept that almost every set produced will have some minor problem IMO... I've had five Sony's now all with different 'issues'...

They just don't make them like they used to IMO..!

12. Lpool

Lpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree...but If u take a good look at mye picture u will se that the screen is filled with these blocks! It is the beginning of "saving private Ryan"..terrible!!

13. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my set has similar 'stains' but not often noticable, it does have an annoying blue glow down the edge of a dark (LHS only)scenes, noticable or every star trek proramme on closing credits. This is begininng too get right up my nose!

14. bugman

bugman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i cant say ive noticed the light parts you mention at the right side of screen,but the only issue i have with my no/5 is the inability to display the sky digital information banners correctly,ie:the verticals on each menu or banner are wavey/snaked.
    regards
    bugman

15. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get that too, does anyone else?

it depends on the contrast levels really, the lower it is the less it wavers

16. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also get this, its very noticable on the THX set up dialog box, the sony engineer said that this was improved on this set ( over the 70) but is will happen, some thing about the screen not able to keep verticals next to stuff like text as is pulls it in, he used a prase like ' that the 'so and so' not man enough I'm afraid, and thats as good as you'll get'
    Well I'm feed up after 5 tosh 18p and QS SO ITS THE SET FOR ME.
    Just a slight side, people have posted settings on the Service menu, but does any one know how to correct poor focus at the Center top and bottom only , about 2 inches in from top and bottom 5 inches wide. Can seem to find any adjustment for this area, edes sides corners I can effect but not Horizonral middle top and bottom!

17. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had these blocky blocks (!!) and got rid of most of them by playing with the AI and correction settings.

18. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can any of you KV36FS76 owners help here