1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony 36FS70

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by childe, Feb 13, 2003.

1. childe

childe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a Sony FS70 which offers the following aspect ratios: 16:9, Zoom, 14:9, 4:3 and Smart.

When watching TV (DVD seems to be OK), whether I set it to autodetect the correct aspect ratio or not, it keeps flicking between different options, eg from 14:9 to Zoom and back again.

Sometimes 14:9 produces the 2 bars down left and right whilst giving a full height picture (which it should), other times it will add bars top and bottom as well, meaning the overall picture size is reduced. Sometimes the whole picture will then move up the screen leaving no bar at the top but a very thick bar at the bottom. I have similar problems if I use Zoom or Smart settings. 4:3 seems to be OK.

Are these faults of the TV or just something I must live with if I want anything other than 4:3 (which seems to work OK)? I'm new to widescreen so have no experience of this.

I watch 99% of my Tivo via a Tivo (ie a recording) and this is where I see the problem. Other equipment connected includes a NTL digital STB D1010, Philips 890DVDR and VCR plus Sony HTSL5a home cinema.

Any help welcome

2. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my fs 76 adjusts the picture all the time (wide - zoom) when flicking through cable channels.. it was annoying at first, but got used to it now. its good in the way that the picture is never the wrong shape.. but the skyone symbol goes off the screen alot. DVD is fine and stays on what it is set too which is the main thing

3. Lpool

Lpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't because you have it on "smart" ?

4. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, i never have it on smart :p, but it seems to end up there somehow.. i always set it to wide ALWAYS, its fine on dvd, but on cable it changes on its own.. maybe i have gremlins?!?!!?:devil: :devil: :rolleyes: :devil: :devil:

5. childe

childe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17