1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 36FS70 'scrolling bars'

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cliff007, Jan 31, 2002.

1. cliff007

cliff007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody with a 36FS70 noticed the scrolling bars, the same as the Sony 32FQ75 owners are experiencing ?

When changing Sky channels, you can see them very faintly against the blue background. You can see them best on a Sky channel that hasn't started broadcasting (ie. MTV dance, before it starts at 7pm).

Anyone with experiencing this, please comment.

2. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Nope..I have the 36fs70 and all is clear.

I'd say get it checked over...after all you want the best tv ever made to look its best eh.

3. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, the set I had did the same thing. I noticed it on the blue screen when my Pioneer DVD comes on. I rejected the set as it had colour staining & major geom problems as well.

4. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff
    - How does this problem compare with the problems
    with the tosh?.
    A good idea swapping or not?

Av geeza
    - what did you replace your sony with?

5. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Markster,
    Ive given up on 36" sets, too many problems on far too many of them.
    Im going for a Loewe Aconda 32". Quality over quantity.
    I will buy a projector later in the year, so I can get that cinematic experience!!
    :cool:

6. cliff007

cliff007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Markster,

In my opinion, the Sony 36 is much better than the tosh. I certainly don't regret swapping the toshiba's for the Sony.

The vertical lines I could see on mine were only visible now and again, and that was when you were looking for them. The fault on the Toshiba was visible all of the time.

Since my last post I have been playing around with the settings and have discovered that if you put the tv into 'movie' mode, you can't see the vertical lines on Sky or dvd, and they are just visible on terrestrial transmissions.

7. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you happy with Sony ?????

Bluestu on another thread has kicked off complaints to BCC's Watchdog after he had three faulty Sony sets.

Come guys, let go for it these few days....i.e. email BCC's Watchdog.

We have given SONY long enough and they have tested our patient to our limit with their denials and also wasting our time (waiting for engineers who can do nothing, dealing with retailers, waiting for delivery, phoning their Customer Service which annoys anyone who bothers to ring up etc)

Please send an email asap to express your feelings. Together we should move things forward and get Sony to wake up. Thanks !

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I e-mailed watchdog today.

Come on AV Geeza and Cliff007....... Lets ramp it up for the KV36FS70 owners as well. I get mine on Saturday but am ever hopeful that it will be okay.

Even if it is I still want to help push this forward!!!

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've returned an FS70 recently with a heavy case of the "scrolling bars" problem.

I am glad more people are having this problem (not glad but you know what I mean), as it proves I wasn't crazy as Sony were politely implying. "We've sold thousands of these sets sir and you are the only one with this problem". Oh yeah, pull the other one Sony....

10. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    George

We also need ex-Sony owners' support in kicking SOny's arse for the shameful way of dealing with customers - fobbing off, pretending, lying, denying and playing silly childish games with their problems.

So please, George email BBC's Watchdog and tell them your experience and the scrolling problems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/

Thanks

fwan

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got back from my local tv superstore(better not say the name) where I seem to spend most of my time these days. I was talking to a salesman who said he bought a sony WEGA tv a few years ago. It blew up after 2 weeks. He then said I would never have another sony. Yet another satisfied customer of good old sony. TAKE NOTE SONY PEOPLE. COME THE REVOLOUTION!!!!

12. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony 36" turned up today :)

They took my Toshiba 36ZP18 away. I dont know why but the sony screen size looks smaller than the toshiba, must have been the picture frame design making it look bigger i guess.

One thing I have noticed is that black looks black all the way across the screen, i.e. no brighter sides!!.

A big thanks must go out to Chris Harding a really top guy at toshiba. He kindly confirmed that all the brightness problems were indeed unfixable and were a 'feature' of the set and very honestly suggested I considered the Sony for better picture quality.

13. cliff007

cliff007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Markster,

Let me know if you have the 'scrolling bars'. It might take you a couple of days to spot them. I first noticed mine against the blue background when changing Sky channels.

Fwan, Got nothing back from Sony UK yet, just filled in the online form for Watchdog.

14. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff

Is you skybox plugged into a non rgb scart?.

At the moment I am really taken back by the huge difference in picture quality,

I was lucky in that I had a good toshiba 36zp18 which didn't exhibit the problems others seem to have.

Being my first widescreen I thought the picture was excellent however the picture on the Sony absolutely Annihilates the toshiba. The picture is so much sharper in comparison.

15. cliff007

cliff007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Markster,

I have the sky digibox connected to the RGB scart.
    The DVD is set to s-video and plugged into scart 2.

You are right about the picture, the sony is much better. Its nice to finally see a black screen that is black right the way across!!!

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I got my KV36FS70 on Saturday.

It had no stickers on it at all. The box had brown parcel tape on the top of it.

The scrolling bars were there on terestrial TV and on Composite video.

I have since sent the set back to JohnLewis for a refund.

I think I will try again in 6 months when hopefully the problems will be fixed.

Keep pushing everyone. I am on your side and am happy to be involved if the KV36 comes into question or Watchdog need witnesses!

Cheers,

P

17. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear yet another defective set you have to go through, Paul.

So Sony is still producing and selling faulty tvs despite they have now seen and acknowledge the scrolling bar problem.

What was JLewis response in this case ?

Thanks for your continued support and offer

Have you sent a complain to Sony UK, BBC's Watchdog, Consumers Assoc Which? magazine etc ? They need to know the extent of the problem and Sony's attitude on this matter. The contact details are on other thread "Sony TV KV32FQ75 - Official Response from Sony UK.........."

18. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Smith

I just got my KV36FS70 delivered from JL as well.

Mine had no stickers and the box had brown parcel tape on the top of it.
    I think this is how they are all delivered. The brown tape on top appears to be irrelavant as the box isn't opened this way, the box opens from the sides. I did question this with the drivers and they kindly showed me 2 others in the van all were sealed with brown tape.

I have now noticed the scrolling bar on annalogue terrestrial TV but not on sky.

The only 36" that appears to not have any problems is the Panasonic 36PL30, however for the time being i am going to keep the Sony as I do not watch analogue terrestrial tv.

I will be filling in the watchdog form however.

PS next time watchdog is on check out which Tv set they are using in the studio, its the same one the Sony 36FS!!! :).

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had two 36FS70's. The first had purity problems and was replaced (I never noticed the scrolling bars until after the replacement was agreed).

The second has the scrolling bars problem. I've had an engineer out (from Comet- nice guy, agreeable and friendly) who thought there was a fix for the problem.

The fix involves insulating the input board (with the scart and rf inputs) - there is a metal plate behind the board which can cause interference. He had a 'knowledgebase' type document with him which I saw (but wasn't able to copy unfortunately). However, insulating the board didn't eliminate the bars and instead introduced a diagonal interference pattern.

The engineer has basically left it that 'if Sony get any more info he'll be back or if I find a solution to get in touch with him myself'.

The only other possible solution that I've seen involves earthing the RF input. I don't even use the RF input but apparently someone has had some success with it... The only other thing I've thought of is it could be interference from AV4 (located at the front of the set - not used on mine).

Out of interest on my set the bars move from left to right on my VCR and Sky inputs (AV2 and AV3) and right to left with my DVD player (AV1 RGB). The bars are indistinct on the DVD input, but make dark greys 'pulse' between a red and green tint.

Have Watchdog shown any interest yet? If so, I'll add my weight to the argument.

20. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting - you got scrolling moving from both directions depending of AV used.

No response from Watchdog yet. Please feel free to "add your weight to the argument". The more the better, the quicker Sony will take this seriously.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi FWAN et al,

John Lewis in High Wycombe said "we have never heard of this before".... What a crock!!

I definately think it is an earthing problem. I managed to improve it byearthing the chassis on my VCR but still had the probs on terrestrial. The Aerial Earthing option sounds like it may well work. I used a std 3 pin plig and took out the 2 power pins. I wited some earthing wire to the earth pin and then attached it under a screw on the VCR body. I then plugged the 1 pin plug into the socket on the wall. There was definately an effect.....

Cheers,

Paul

22. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul

I hope Sony UK pays you for the research and experiments in search of a cure for the scrolling bars you are doing on their behalf !!!

fwan

23. cliff007

cliff007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fwan,

I received a reply from Sony today. The letter was similar to yours, except for the tv model no.

One interesting bit was as follows:-

'I can advise, that having liaised with our technical department in this matter, that they have received a few enquiries from service agents regarding the symptom that you have described. As a result of these enquiries, they have commenced testing on the FS70 units.'

Lets see if they discover anything within the next 14 days. (they promised to reply within 14 days)

24. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update, Cliff. At least they are not ignoring complaints now.

So it is official the FS sets are also suffering from the scrolling bars problem and FS owners are not imagining!!

fwan