1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 36" W/S problems..

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by j3t, Dec 4, 2001.

1. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, saw the forum and thought someone may be able to help.

Basically, I have bought a 36" KV36 FS70 television with the main purpose of it being able to perform well on DVD and also to be a quality tv for my numerous games consoles.

Whislt it performs well on DVD, Ive noticed that the other inputs being the two scart/S-video sockets and the front S-Video socket all seem to suffer from inteference. By this I mean that on a dark or black background there is a white 3-4 inch shadowy-bar that goes from the left to the right repeatedly.

Ive tried to find the cause of this but am unsuccessful so far. Ive tried multiple different s-video and scart leads but they all get the same effect to different degrees. When the TV is on say AV2 and there is nothing plugged into the AV2 socket, the black background is pretty much fine - when I insert the scart lead there is immediatly a deterioration in the screen quality, with the arrival of the white shadow bars which show up enough to become annoying. Of course its fine when the pictur eis displaying a bright image, as soon as its a dark or black image the bars become quite noticeable.

I hope I have explained it well enough. The RGB socket appears to be fine though. I currently connect a Gamecube and PS2 into the AV2 and Svideo sockets and get this problem which ever socket I use. I dont know whether its a problem with the cables themselves or even the TV, all I know is Ive tried many differnt cables and all have the same effect. At 90kg its not the sort of item I wish to carry down form my flat and return to the shop - so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What scart leads are you using? I use (admitedly v.flashy) Ixos jobbies and I don't get any of the banding your post details. If your picture is OK until you plug a scart cable in that pretty much explains the interference you are seeing - your scarts are not shielded well enough and, luckily, the telly is not at fault (and so you don't need to heave it down the stairs again!)

I'd recommend getting some QEDs or Ixos-es and trying to connect your stuff up with them. Fingers crossed that'll do the trick!

stan.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem and I use qaulity IXOS cables. I 've also seen this problem reported before. I am getting a refund as Sony are blaming everything else but the TV. (external interference, my equipment, etc)

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I have crosstalk problems viewing AV2 on my Tosh TV when the EXT2 output is set to anything but MONITOR; ie with two different signals running in opposite directions along a cheaper scart lead the resulting interference is pretty obvious.

Assuming Sony TVs have the same output options this may be worth checking.

John

5. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    George, have you had an engineer look at the TV, if so what did he say?

6. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I stand by what I said - I don't get any interference and I am very bloody picky about these thing! Maybe it's the lead-lined box I put all my AV gear in..?!

Have you considered one-way scarts?

stan.

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's not the scarts. It is the internal electronics of the TV. I've just had mine back after 6 weeks, read it on the Known Sony KV-32FQ75 problem - check yours! thread.

Perhaps we should all write to Sony outlining our dissatisfaction (like the lads are doing with the Toshiba problem). I for one have not been "delighted" by the whole fiasco.

Mark

8. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly this problem (the white bands) and sent it back for a Panasonic TX36PB which has a very nice picture and two RGB ins.
    Pat

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No because due to another fault with a previous FS70, Sony must have got fed up with me and offered me a refund.

No I am stuck, I don't know what to buy. I was thinking of a Panasonic TX36Pl30/PB50, but have you seen all the negative press (in this forum) about them?

10. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats exactly the problem for me also. As much as I hate the lines, I still love the TV and for me it still represents the best 36" out there - I really wouldnt want to replace it.

The enginner is visiting tomorrow - he said to make sure I had shielded scarts, which Im pretty sure the leads I have for the PS2 isnt, so I expect he will blame the cables. I also tried plugging my QED top quality RGB Scart into the SVideo Scart sockets and on black backgrounds there remained a kind of "washy" constant distortion. The only way I have to get round this is to turn the contrast and brightness right down, which is a workaround but still not really what I expect.

If anyone has any advide for me ahead of the enginners visit I would appreciate it.

11. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo m8ski :)

I have a suggestion. Why not try one of the Monster Game S-Video cables for the PS2? These are far superior in quality to the Sony ones and my sort out the problem if it is the cables.

Alternatively, if you have a spare RGB socket, buy one of the Sony RGB leads that cost about £30. These look pretty meaty and should be well shielded. Plus you'll get a better quality picture.

12. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    may not be relevant but the 36 fs70 has to be set up for ntsc etc. in the service menu.

13. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "may not be relevant but the 36 fs70 has to be set up for ntsc etc. in the service menu"

I didnt know that - could you tell me more?

What do I need to change?

14. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with tv in standby, on remote press i-+-5-vol.up-plain sqare picture button-menu-2. find av page and set accordingly.

15. Berisford

Berisford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm having the same problem on my new KV28FQ75.

If the scart lead is the problem, why are the travelling bars so much more pronounced when using the AV4 s-video socket?

I only get the problem with my DVD player, the playstation and the camcorder in the same socket are fine!

Not had the engineer 'round yet as I want the TV over Christmas.

Has anyone actually got Sony to fix this problem on their set or is the answer (for Sony) to swap the set?

AK

16. mchabana

mchabana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

i used to have the exact same problem whith my kv32fq75 set.

Since it only appeared when playing DVDs and not when watching TV, i tried to connect my spare DVD player (LG 4750) to the s-video socket, leaving my main DVD player (Sony 715) in place on the top shelf in standby mode. It made no changes. I then tried to connect the LG to the AV1 socket in the same conditions but there still were no changes.

So i decided to remove the Sony player from the top shelf and to put it on the floor. The two bands were still there but less visible.

I then decided to completely unplug the Sony player and to put the LG player instead and, guess what, the two bands completely vanished.

So it seems to be an interference problem between the Sony player and the TV set. I don't know why since that player has nothing special except for the fact that macrovision and zoning have been removed using the booster chip.

I would be very interested to know if all people experiencing the problem use Sony players and on what shelf.

Marc.

17. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me this is a problem inherent of a number of Sony models. I too have noticed that when I use AV4 (front svideo socket) the lines are very pronounced and really do impede the quality of the picture. I have a new SOny being delivered in a weeks time, im beginning to wonder if its worth it as Im just going to have the same problems again.

What advantage is there in selecting the NTSC option under the service menu? Also, any other recommendations for things to tweak?

18. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the guy I met in a tv shop was having similar problems. they set his tv up with the service menu while I watched, problems were cured and I made a note of the service code.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spill the beans then stranger. What needs to be set-up in the service menu?

You are not referring to setting NTSC detect to auto? because I have already done that!

20. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, I dont have any more info, as I did not have the problem at the time I was more interested in getting the code without the engineers knowing-and hiding it.

21. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have the number for Sonys UK Technical support, Id like to ask one of their engineers about this problem that seems to effect a number of people. I cant beleive that this has not been brought up with them before tbh, there must be some sort of fix for it surely.

22. Berisford

Berisford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Good luck my friend..................I predict that you will find, quite amazingly, that the problem is unique to you and has not been encountered at the technical department before!................and that they are completely puzzled by this odd isolated fault.

They will suggest that you contact your local Sony service engineers who will send out Pinocchio
    and screwdriver who also will not have ever encountered the problem before!

SONY get your heads out of the sand. There is a problem with many of these sets. Lets have it sorted and soon.

23. Cinders

Cinders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the KV36FS70...

NTSC capability via S-VIDEO needs to be enabled via the service menu - this has been turned off for some reason.

Also about interference, it was found that if you the audio out sockets on the tv are connected to an external amp you get these lines.

24. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my second FS-70 set today, switched it on and sure enough there are significant vertical shadowy bars going from right to left on s-video modes.

And also the geometry is poor, its especially noticeable on straight vertical lines where it curves inwards. Im not happy to say the least.

Can anyone recommend another Tv, one thats 36" or above?

25. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The choice of 36" CRT screens isn't that great and they all have issues of some kinds. Mind you so do all TVs, but I decided that the problems with 36" were too great to justify the slightly extra screen size, so I went for my 32" Loewe which so far I am very pleased with.

Loewe have just released a 40" :eek: Aconda. I have no idea if it has any problems too, but expect to pay around £3,600 for this bad boy.

26. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now well pleased with the Panasonic 36PB. It took one Sony and three 36PB50s, but now I'm happy.

27. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into sevenoaks today where they had just taken delivery of a 40" Lowre, but at £3500 odd theres no way that would interest me. What did interest me was a 42" Fujitsu Plasma screen which I am no contemplating on buying, but Ill leave that for another thread!

28. Berisford

Berisford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Got my 4 week old set replaced last Thursday without too much shouting.

First thing I check when it arrives is DVD playback and the dreaded lines. All was fine, no lines, no colour smudge, in fact I was quite pleased.

However, Boxing Day I proudly set the DVD to show a few family holiday snaps via video CD photo album and horror upon horror the lines are back!

After a couple of nights pondering the damm thing I today set-up the same conditions that applied when the Sony Center delivered the replacement set. i.e. the DVD player was on the carpet, a short distance from the Sony and only connected via the s-video lead, no audio or scart.

Now I'm guessing some of you will now be ahead of me.......yes your right.....no lines!

If I push the DVD back towards its proper place under the set on the stand..............yep, they're back, shadowy lines travelling left to right!

So I’ve ordered a top-notch fancy s-video lead today from some web source in Northern Ireland and fingers crossed my problem may be solved.

I'll let you know next week sometime.

AK

29. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you happy with Sony ?????

Bluestu on another thread has kicked off complaints to BCC's Watchdog after he had three faulty Sony sets.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've completed the online form at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/

It only takes a couple of minutes and the more of us that do it the quicker we'll get this sorted.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on guys, let go for it these few days....i.e. email BCC's Watchdog.

We have given SONY long enough and they have tested our patient to our limit with their denials and also wasting our time (waiting for engineers who can do nothing, dealing with retailers, waiting for delivery, phoning their Customer Service which annoys anyone who bothers to ring up etc)

Please send an email asap to express your feelings. Together we should move things forward and get Sony to wake up. Thanks