1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 36 FS70 Picture Quality

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nshah, Nov 8, 2001.

1. nshah

nshah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all !!!

I have just purchased a Sony 36FS70 and am very new in terms of AV technical knowledge.

Having read some cracking reviews and heard much praise from retailers I was expecting a lot in terms of picture quality.

However, whilst I cant say that the set has 'bad' picture quality, it isnt as crisp as I had imagined and is at times fuzzy on Sky digital broadcasts. This holds for both the DRC50 and the DRC100 modes.

Was wondering if there are some basic things I should ensure to get the best out of the set in terms of picture quality.

Could someone tell me what RGB is and how to ensure I'm using it? The digi box has been set to RGB and I'm using the first scart (which I'm told is RGB compatible)

Also, would it make much difference if I used higher grade scart leads as oppose to the ones supplied by Sky?

I have not got a DVD player as yet.

Has anybody got any suggestions?

2. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    your right about your scart cable. you could pick one up for £20 from Richer sounds, or go for the higher priced IXOS or QED range.
    Personally I would use the Cambridge audio one from Richer sounds, I have found no change in quality from all the makes.

This should remove your fuzzy picture....................
    ;)

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly RGB stands for RED GREEN AND BLUE, regarded as one of the best raw signals, S-VHS is the other, better quality pictures, less interference., but there will always be a debate on which one is best. You have connected correctly, to check if your TV is switching to RGB when watching SKY press the TV button on the remote, you should see the TV switch over to composite, then press the SKY button to switch it back. Invest in a good quality scart lead IXOS is a good brand, price about £40. I have a KV36FS70 and the pictures are gobsmacking, don`t have the contrast up to high and if the sharpness is to high your picture will be fuzzy i turned mine right down too nearly off. I you can`t set it up by a test disc try turning the colour off and set the picture up in black and white when you have got a pin sharp picture then add colour, but don`t have it too high so the colours dance and bleed into one another. SKY NEWS is a good channel to set your colour by. Good luck.

:cool:

P.S Just had a thought , have you got the TV on personal setting, to do this press the green coloured button on the TV remote, a menu comes up LIVE, PERSONAL, MOVIE etc, you may have it on LIVE, to change it use down arrow, or go into picture set up and change it.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    Bob,

S-VHS is not a type of output, like RGB is, what I think you mean is "S-VIDEO"

S-VHS is a method or type of video recorder.

I agree that S-VHS video recorders have S-VIDEO out, but that doesn't make them the same.

Its also not correct to say that S-VHS (VIDEO) is the 'other' as there are many other types of video output which are commonly found on consumer video equipement.

I am not even going to mention RF.

At the bottom end is 'Composite Video'. This is what is used in 99% of homes. Its just a co-ax (shielded) cable with a single signal wire. Its what you get when you connect up your boxes using default setting and cables.

Next comes 'S-Video' or 'Y/C', it offers significant improvement over composite, but in my opinion its still nothing to get excited about.

Its is presented on a 4 pin 'din' connector and consists of 2x shielded cables, which contain 2 signals. Luminence (Y(Brightness)) and Chrominance ((C)Colour). The reason for the improvement in quality is that there are seperate signals for the brigtness and colour of the image.. but, the signals are still composite!

Next one up is 'RGB' which as you said is made up of 3 different signals. Its normally presented within a SCART socket, but some boxes offer 4 (not 3) (Coloured RED, GREEN, BLUE and WHITE) Phono Outputs. But again, they are 'composite' signals, just like 'composite video'. There is also a 'sync' signal (Which is actually the normal composite video signal) used to 'synchronise' the 3 images.

RGB offers a HUGE improvement over composite and S-video!

At the top of the quality list is 'componant'. Again, its 3 signals, but it works like S-Video than RGB, as the signal is split in to Luminance/Chrominance and Something else.

'Componant' is always (usually?) presented as 3xPhonos, coloured RED, GREEN and BLUE (I can't remeber what the labels are) and this is why people confuse it as RGB.. But Componant and RGB are completely different.

I don't know much about Componant, so am not going to make anything up about it.

But back to the original question.. I have an FS70 and am generally happy.. But sometimes I am amazed how good the picutre looks, but other time I am disappointed.

Switching your Digibox or DVD to RGB will offer a massive improvement if its not already done... But upgrading the cables will not (in my opinion).. I recently bought a new DVD player and an IXOS at the same time..

The cable got lost in transist, so, for the first few days I used the DVD with a standard cable. When I got the IXOS I really couldn't tell any difference.. Certainly not enough difference to make you stand back and go 'wow'.

But unforunatly, the FS70 (And all 36" TVs I have seen) don't do a good job of displaying pictures from a poor quality signal.

Also, certain types of images, look especially bad.. For instance.. Say something is in the background and slightly out of focus, the FS70 seems to make it look the background look even more out of focus and blurred than it already is.

I think that you just get used to the picture on the FS70. But even if you don't, I don't think that any other TVs can do the job any better.

5. nshah

nshah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far I have been using the live mode cos it seemed the best of the lot but I will give the personal one a go and hopefully this should improve the situation somewhat.

Will definately change my scart and might even consider getting a SVHS lead if there is a socket in the back of the set (and if my digi box is compatable.)

Anyway, thanks very much for your help.

P.S- Was also wondering what the AV preset sub menu settings should be. There are Normal, Off and Full options for each AV input.

Do you know anything about this?

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Oh yes.. Be aware that the FS70 only has 1 RGB compatable SCART!

The black one is RGB and the 2 orange ones are S-Video.

As the Digibox doesn't support S-Video, putting it in the orange socket will only give you 'composite' video.

If you want RGB you will have to use a fully wired SCART cables and connect it to the 'black' socket (AV1).

If you don't have it in AV1, changing between PAL and RGB will have no effect!

7. nshah

nshah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jon.

Any info on the AV preset sub menu settings?

8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Leave it as Default.. The AV preset options don't do anything for the 'quality' of the picuture....

The only thing you can do is set the level of 'widescreen detection' (Auto Format)

Jon

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    You don't need to get an S-VIDEO cable, unless you plan to use the S-VIDEO (DIN) input at the front (AV4)

S-VIDEO on AV2/3 is input via the SCART socket...

So, as long as you have a FULLY WIRED SCART and setup your box to S-VIDEO then the TV will display S-VIDEO.. But its very difficult to tell if it is (unlike RGB).

With regards to the 'LIVE' setting, that is just a preset bunch of Contrast/Brightness/Colour/Sharpness settings.

Its best to set it to 'PERSONAL' and change the settings until you get a picture you like.

Be aware that one of the settings (it could be LIVE) has contrast at 100% which looks AWFUL...

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon my mistake, i were in a rush to post a reply coz i had an appointment at 3pm. very well put though, will come in handy for other folk as a reference.
    NSHAH.........mine`s set to normal everything works ok so iv`e left it alone. WHY? ..... coz i don`t know what it does either, Jon your help again, and if you could help me with a couple of quieries; In Further Programme Presets ATT can be on/off should it be on/off and what does it do? and NextView, is this available in the UK or just europe? TIA Jon.

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Unforunatly, NexView is for Europe only and won't ever be available in the UK.

Apparantly, its a very useful feature, but just like every other useful thing, the British Broadcasters havn't adopted it.

ATT is for attenuation.

Basically, if you have a bad terrestrial signal (RF) then it could be caused by 2 things.

1. The signal is too weak.

If this is the case, then you need a better aerial to improve it (or use an amp, could be the worse thing you could do)

2. The signal is too strong.

Surprisingly the symptoms of a too strong signal are similar to the problem you get when the signal is too weak.

Infact, I am sure a lot of people have spent time and money trying to improve the signal strength, when what they want to do is weaken (Attenuate) it.

ATT will attenuate (weaken) the signal into the TV.

So, if you have a REALLY strong signal (perhaps you leave close to a transmitter) you can turn ATT on.

A lot of RF products offer an 'attenuation' feature, but I have yet to see a circumstance where it helps.

Try toggling on/off.. When its on, the signal should be attenuated, so you should get a weaker signal and therfore a snowier picture.

I hope this helps

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again very well put, cheers bob.

;)