Sony 32V4500 vs 32W4000?

sapkan

Established Member
Reaction score
Which of the above is better for SD viewing? I am going to be using the set for HD also but from what I gather from this forum the difference between HD and Full HD on a 32" screen is non existent.

There is a noticeable improvement when viewing HD on a 32" Full HD set.

If thats the case I would go 32W4000. Do you speak from personal experience?

There is a noticeable improvement when viewing HD on a 32" Full HD set.

That's not a very good answer since the difference is negligible for most users

Panel res is just a single factor. You have to consider the source res, source quality, viewing distance and panel size.

About 230 quid. I am worried that the SD performance of the FullHD set (32w4000) set is going to be inferior because of the more upscaling it needs to do. I will be watching 80% SD. The price is not an issue.

Since the difference is quite high, it is best to get the V4500.

PS: The reason I originally asked is because I couldn't find the V4500 cheaper then £600.

If thats the case I would go 32W4000. Do you speak from personal experience?

Yes. I have owned a 32W4000 for several months. Prior to that I used a Sony 26" LCD which was only 'HD Ready'. Whilst the performance of this unit was satisfactory it was when I compared it with SD on the W4000 series that I made the decision to go for a slightly bigger screen. Actually there are no Full HD sets below 32" as far as I know. The newer set uses an improved version of the Sony Bravia Engine.

I agree with Neilo that other factors come into play. However sapkan was talking about SD, and I assumed from that he meant that his TV source was from the on-board Freeview. I have to confess that I generally use a Virgin V+ box which upscales to a HDMI connection. Saying that there is nothing wrong with straight Freeview viewing from the internal tuner.

Whatever set you chose it is obvious that an HD source will always give the best picture. SD pictures vary in bitrate etc so you will find that some channels respond better than others whether they come from Freeview,Sky or cable. I would say this applied just as much to HD Ready as Full HD sets. Somehow the 32W4000 seems to cope with SD without too much difficulty. Similarly the performance of some makes of TV is better than others.I'm not saying that Sony are the best. We are stuck with SD for some time ahead so its a big factor to consider how it looks on a HD tv. Certainly a Full Hd set is not 'worse'. You need to see a demo in a store using an off the aerial signal in order to make a judgement.

Last edited:
About 230 quid. I am worried that the SD performance of the FullHD set (32w4000) set is going to be inferior because of the more upscaling it needs to do.

You are right about that. Unless the upscaling algorithms are really good, PQ will stay poor. Moreover, you dont need a 1080p set for 32". I can understand if you are sitting at around 5 feet with 42" 1080p set, but with 32" you DONT need one.

I will be watching 80% SD. The price is not an issue.

What is your viewing distance? I would go for a plasma set if watching so much of SD. Screen burns and Image retentions are not that widespread anymore with correct settings. LCDs on the other hand are better for more games(more than 50% with more than 4 hours of gaming) and HD viewing.

Last edited:
On advantage of a 1080p TV is that sources connected via HDMI using 1080i/p resolution can be displayed on the TV without scaling (when Full-pixel) is on.

Viewing distance is 2.5m but its a enclosure that doesnt take more than 32

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom