1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 32FX65 - Bright Spot problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by D J Fryer, Apr 23, 2002.

1. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After a bargain puchase of the above TV I had expected to have to mess around with the service menu a bit (to correct geometry etc)

However geometry seems spot on (so far) but I have annoying bright spots (particularly noticeable on reds and oranges which then look pink and not noticeable with blues and greens). They seem to be in the same place regardless of source (Analogue Broadcast or DVD) from the bottom of the screen extending up about a quarter of the height of the TV (maybe less) and in two distinct patches for about three inches either side of the middle.

The question is - is this something that I can eradicate in the service menu (and if so what menu/feature) or is it back to the retailer?

It would be a shame if it is not fixable as I picked it up for a bargain price (less than half RRP) on the condition that I can only get a refund and not an exchange if the set is faulty.

I have had a look at the KV-Tweak site and although it is helpful I would appreciate your personal advice too

2. CharlesElliott

CharlesElliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The colours sound very much like a purity issue (red/orange appearing pink). Are they 'spots' with an edge, or are they more areas with intense colour changes in the middle gradually fading.

Charles

3. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Charles

definitely NOT defined spots more areas which, as you say, are bright in the middle but fade out to normal colour - I can pretty much safely say that it is a red issue as I don't notice anything when solid blocks of blue and green are in these areas

However when there is anything which obviously requires red it is noticeable from barely noticeable with skin tones to horrendously noticeable with pillar box red football shirts?

Any ideas?

4. CharlesElliott

CharlesElliott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obvious things first! Any removable magnetic sources near the set - speakers, anything with a power supply in (Video, Digibox etc.)? If so, remove all these things with TV off, and then turn on TV from cold to allow full auto degaussing. Could possibly take a few goes to clear them, or at least make them better.

I'm assuming that your degauss coil is working - do you hear a loud buzz when you first turn on the TV from cold? Lasts only a second or so.

If this doesn't fix it, then you may need to try to degauss the set. You can buy degaussing coils from Maplin etc. Many people have horror stories about degaussing Sony TVs due to the ability (apparently) to pull the mask out of place but I haven't had such problems assuming that you are careful with how close you get the coil to the set.

Cheers,

Charles

5. Sly Fox

Sly Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my old TV I had one of those annoying "bright spots" but in a greenish tone. When the room was very dark I saw nothing, but when light was entering the room from the roof window I could clearly see the spot in the right top corner of the screen. I then noticed; by screening the light from the TV reduced the greenish tone again.

When I opened the TV I found that the rear part of the tube was not completely "painted" to the edge. So, light was able to enter through the housing airslots onto the rear side of the tube interfering with the picture.

Could this be an issue for you too?

6. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Charles/Sly Fox - thanks for the advice guys - I spoke to the retailer and they said that I could arrange for one of their Sony service agents to come out and they would refund me the call out charge so I think I may go for that.

As for magnetic sources I have a centre spkr on top of the set but otherwise just my dvd players and PSX below in a wooden cabinet on which the TV sits - perhaps I will try moving these?

Your help is appreciated :)