Sony 32FQ75 or 32LS60

S

seanh

Hi there,

I came on here a while ago asking about the Philips pixel plus tellies, but i have now changed my decision to either a Sony 32FQ75 or LS60.

Other than the obvious shape difference of the 2 beasts, i would be extremely grateful on some expert opinion as to which is the best.

The FQ75 i saw got 10/10 from What TV and Video back in October 2000 but was then priced at £1700. Currys have it at £900 so as you can imagine, am tempted.

According to the Sony spec manual, the FQ75 is 100hz DRC but the LS60 is just a 100hz......good or bad ?

Would love some feedback from the more experienced of you out there, as i am planning on putting it with a DAV 800 cinema kit.

In short, which is the best.....the FQ75 or LS60 ?
Which is the newest as the FQ75 looks newer in its design i think.

HELP !!!

Please......................

You really need to view them both in store to see which image you prefer as the FQ80 will give you a processed 100Hz image whereas the LS60 does not have the DRC (just plain 100Hz). Personally, I prefer the latter as the DRC images seem too "harsh" and "unnatural" for my liking plus there can be visible digital artefacts, but many do like the image that DRC generates.

You should also be aware of the scrolling bars problem that plagued the FQ75 so do check out Fwan's thread on this so you can check if it also affects the FQ80 (the FQ80 is the replacement model for the FQ75).

Would you suggest that i get them to rig both of them up with a DVD player or will traditional terrestrial TV (BBC etc) show it up ?

Is that the best'ist way to compare ?

Your gut feeling would be the LS60 then ?

Apologies for the dumb questions, but this is our first widescreen purchase and daunting to say the least...............

Analogue terrestrial will probably be such a bad feed in the store, it's hardly worth using it. Best bet is to get them to rig up a DVD player, but make sure it's RGB output - that will show you exactly what the TV is capable of. Then you need to have a fiddle about with the settings on the TV remote because you can't just go by the defaults.

If the scrolling bars were there on the FQ80, you probably wouldn't notice them until you got the set home to be honest. But try and see if you can spot them - best way is to view a blank image (e.g. a pale blue image) and look for "noise" in the picture, like a vertical scrolling bar travelling across the screen.

I can't recommend FQ80 or LS60, it really is a personal choice. Plus I own an LS60 and I'm biased ;)

I am trawling down the thread with KarlRobinson being a key player and i am now petrified of purchasing an FQ75.

He spoke about possible chip replacement.....do you know if this rectified it or can i be pretty much confident that the problem never was, and will never be fixed ?

Should i take the easier option and not demo an FQ75, but demo an LS60 ?

Squirrel...............

Christ................the FQ75 looks like a complete nightmare so i am taking the stance of......hey Sony .....you can keep it !!!

Looks like i will demo an LS60 this weekend !!!

Is this a good choice and there appear to be no hidden surprises for me around the corner .... or am i mistaken ???

Cheers for your help

Go and have a look at the FQ75 as it's a fine set.As you are fore warned about the issues with it you should be able to make an informed judgement.Not all sets are affected and your individual circumstances may not cause the sb's to manifest anyway.

Lynx,

My problem is, is that i am a widescreen virgin, so hacking straight into service menus to check things out, and knowing the best way to spot if it has a problem.

Also, whats the chances of the shop tv being OK, and then being shipped a pig in a poke ! ?

You agree with my reason for being nervous about this tho ?

Originally posted by seanh
You agree with my reason for being nervous about this tho ?
To a point, yes. I recon that *most* of the guys reporting the sb problem will admit that under most viewing conditions,the sb's are not noticable. Indeed some have had the sets for many months and were never aware of this phenonemon until it was pointed out to them, others had to go looking for it. On the other hand i accept that some sets were truly awful. If you buy one and it turns out to be a howler then you can always look to Sony for a sympathetic ear :rolleyes: ;)

what is the best way to try to see the bars ?

turn contrast up ?
press this .... do that ???

Seanh,

Have you not considered the 32FX66 set as well? This is a 100Hz set with Virtual Dolby and a remote locator!! Not sure on the price tho but I think it is a better set then the LS60. In terms of Spec. Not sure on Picture qulity tho so again, it will be worth demoing the sets. :)

Its more than we wanted to pay, and having anything more than nicam would mean i am paying for something that i will rarely use.

Sean,

Demo a few sets and check the forum for any "hidden features". As Lynx said, so long as you are forewarned, you'll know what you're getting.

I keep track of the LS60 posts on the forum more than any other set because I own one. Just to answer your question, the only "hidden feature" that has been reported so far with the LS60 is an incompatibility with some Pioneer DVD players (search and you will find some posts about this).

All sets have some hidden feature or other, some you won't care about, some you will care about. Only you can make the final choice though ;) As it's in your price range, definitely demo an LS60 at least though - many members are very happy with theirs, including me :)

Seanh,

I can understand that anyone reading the FQ75 thread would have second thoughts.

However, I would ask you to consider the following:

- In the forum you can find complaints, gripes and dissatisfaction with almost every widescreen on the market today and statistically people are more likely to report their dissatisfaction than satisfaction;

- The FQ75 is an absolute bargain at the prices available today (£899 at Currys Stafford a couple of weeks ago). The set has an awesome (and I mean AWESOME) picture and terrific features (Picture & Picture is great - kids played the PS while I watched the Ryder Cup). Sound is only average but it's only a nicam set and you really need a separate amp for true high quality home cinema sound. Remote can be fiddly but its a minor gripe.

- Styling is a personal issue, I like the FQ75 and not the LS60. The FQ75 stand is very well designed with good cable management and ample space for your other kit (although never enough)

- Certain web sites allow you to cancel your order and return the goods within 7 days if you are not totally satisfied (check before you buy and this will usually be at your cost). This provides a contingency plan if you ain't happy.

I really would encourage you to give the FQ75 a viewing in store with a DVD player before discounting it.

I had read the thread and decided to take a chance on a graded FQ75 for £850. The set is mint and consequently, I have a £1500 TV for a bargain price with a three year guarantee.

I love my FQ75:D ...but ultimately everything in life has its risks.

Hope you find a good solution.

I'd just like to add my 2 penny's worth as I think Seanh might find it useful.

I too am a widescreen virgin and I bought an FQ75 fully aware of the risks that it would involve but I hoped that I'd be lucky and get a good one...

I had considered the LS60 but this was considerably inferior specs wise and I didn't like the look of it.

When the FQ75 arrived I was dismayed to find that the left hand side of the screen was blurred. This was really very noticeable - you couldn't read the left hand collumn text on a screen of teletext, whilst the right side was pin sharp.

I agonised over letting them repair it but then finally decided to go for a refund. I have just ordered a 36FS76...

In the end, I decided that I wouldn't have peace of mind if I had stuck with the FQ75 - a TV that is well known to have considerable problems. Even if the focus problem was fixed I couldn't be sure that the scrolling bar problem would rear its head.

If you like the LS60's shape then I think you'll be very happy with it. Its very unlikely that you'll have another widescreen TV next to it to compare the minute detail of picture quality and you'll know that you haven't bought a product that a large number of people on this forum believe to be flawed.

Anyway I get my FS76 in a few days and I intend to not be too critical and simply try to enjoy watching it. If I still had my FQ75 I think I would have paid a high price for the set with my peace of mind....

Good luck

Steven

Chaps,

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and assist me.
After 7 weeks of heartache and much web time, i ordered my 32LS60 yesterday, which will be delivered Monday.

....at last !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom