1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY 32FQ75 focus problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by anothergo, Aug 15, 2002.

1. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought a new Sony 32FQ75 and find there is poor focus on the left hand side of the screen, has any body else had this problem and what was the solution?

2. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    you should have checked the forums before buying that set. The focus problem is one of many with the FQ75.

sorry

3. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the reponse, do you know if the focus problem can be fixed?

4. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    You really should have a look at the 'scrolling bars...sonys official response...' thread.

you will get all the info you need

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Aston said, read the thread. There is at least one post on there from someone who had this problem fixed.

6. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the response, I've read all about the SB problem but as my set appears OK (to me) all I want to know is if the focus problem can be fixed

7. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    You really do need to go through the SB thread. It contains info on all the FQ problems, not just scrolling bars.

8. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I appreciate the reponse and have been throught the thread but I'm still not clear if the fault can be fixed. I have an engineer coming in from Sony to have a look and they propose the take the set away. It the fault can't be fixed there would appear to be little point!

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I can remember, the guy did have the problem fixed and it was fixed in his home. I can't remember if he was based in the UK or from mainland Europe however.

10. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Engineer tried to fix it on my set when he came out for the S/Bs. This set apparently only has a single focus adjustment??
    He tried adjusting this and it would just move the problem to the middle or to the right side of the screen.... best we could get it was to leave the 'out of focus' point on the left.

Apparently the focus is within spec according to Sony, not sure if it can be fixed?

11. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This seems to be the case that there is no cure for the focus problem...only to move it!

I'm not sure why as other w/s seems fine!

Really hope the FQ80 doesn't suffer from ANY of these problems ie. focus/purity and sb's

Matt.

12. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my local Sony repair agent has ordered a mod kit to fix the problem and will fit when arrives in a couple of weeks, we will see!

13. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Do you know what the fix is thats been ordered?? I'd be interested to know if there is one.

14. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry I dont know details of the mod kit, just that its meant to solve a focus problem. Due to the nature of CRT tubes I find it hard to believe but hope never the less it will fix or improve the problem. I only really see the problem when watch teletext or reading (should say trying too!) my DVD player captions on the left hand side.

15. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problem as anothergo with focus on the left side. Found it very annoying, shame as the picture overall was really good. Dealer took it back and got Pana tx32ph40 instead, no probs with this but feel the Sony had the better picture

16. Stevenyoungmin

Stevenyoungmin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a question for anothergo...did you manage to get it solved. I have just taken delivery of a 32fq75 and it has the focus problem. Not sure if I should simply return and get a different TV or let them have a go at repairing it? What do you think??

Steven

17. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The set was taken away yesterday and returned this morning with the mod kit fitted. This appears to have fixed the problem. The engineer said this was the 5th set he has carried out the mod on.

18. Stevenyoungmin

Stevenyoungmin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks anothergo...so it is completely fixed is it? They haven't made the right side or middle less focused and you haven't got scrolling bars?

Anyway thanks for the reply!

19. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The focus problem is completely fixed, unfortunately I now see two other problems, there is a purity problem in the top right hand corner and I can see the scroll bars sometimes. I spoke with Sony about changing the set as its onlt 3 months old but they din't want to know saying they were not the original supplier. I'm now waiting for a response from the set supplier before deciding what to do. I don't know how others have got Sony to change their sets.

20. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be a nuisance and be persistent !!!

SUK have changed sets, refunded, downgraded, upgraded etc to many of us who complained. So they are no reason to exclude you from this. None of us bought the set direct from SUK as they don't see sell direct.

If you get no joy, ask to be put to the Manager of Customer Information Centre. You should not have a sub-standard set if the engineer cannot fix it. Get a refund.

Good luck

fwan

21. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I appreciate the response, when I spoke with Sony last week they did not want to know, I bought the set from Jungle.com and have been back to them who I believe will talk with Sony. Do you have a direct telephone number for the person recommended or should I continue with the slow Sony help desk.