1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 32" TV advice please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ymegod, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would like to buy a Sony 32" flat screen television. I suspect I will have to go for a digital model as I believe the analogue version will be obsolete in a couple of years time.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They are good TVs

go for the 50Hz models if you don't notice flicker

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    ...and if your hearing is so shot that 15.625 kHz scan noise doesn't bother you. Sony don't bother damping their flyback transformers, as not many people can hear up to 15.625 kHz. However, for those of us who can, the noise of the transformer on a 50Hz Sony set is louder than the speakers at normal listening volumes. My Sony 50Hz set went back within 2 weeks for that reason - I simply couldn't stand being in the same room as it. The 100Hz sets are better.

(Although I exchanged my 100Hz Sony IDTV for a ViewSonic N3000w LCD and a Humax PVR-8000T, and wouldn't go back to the Sony if you paid me - the picture geometry on 32" CRTs is dreadful, even after tweaking in the service menus, and they really don't work that well with NTSC signals via RGB.)

4. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh dear ! Two very conflicting views. I chose Sony because up until recently I had a 32FX60 and it worked perfectly. It was a 100Hz set so the scan noise was not a problem.
    I did not really notice the dreadful picture geometry.
    Any other views would be more than welcome.

5. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get one whilst they still make them! Quality brands like Sony will have to leave the large screen CRT TV market before too long on account of LCDs approaching them on price. The cheap low-quality CRTs from lesser brands will stay around longer because LCD prices will take longer to drop to their level but if you want Sony quality (which is apparantly very high, if you read objective surveys) then act fast.

6. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well, as is usual here, you're going to get very conflicting views, I'm afraid.

Some people are dead against Sony/Some people love them.

Personally, I aways choose Sony because I have always had excellent products which have lasted well in the past. Last year I bought a KV32CS70 32" CRT Widescreen set (100hz) which, I have to say, I am very pleased with.

I am quite picky when it comes to things like picture geometery/dirty screen issues etc. but although the geometery is not 100% perfect on this set (mind you pretty near impossible on any 32" CRT set really) it is not bad in any way and is a very good sharp image etc..

So, as I say, personally, I would go for something like this - but I know others won't touch Sony and tell you to get something else - all views I fully understand and respect. Basically, as with anything like this, it all comes down to personal preferences and how you personally feel about the look of a product etc... Go check a few out in Curry's (but for heavens sake NEVER buy one from them - not unless you want hassle!!)...Failing that try looking in Sony Centres or indepdent dealers.

Paul

7. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you everybody for your advice.